Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Protecting you K-50 investment: warranties, screen protectors, etc.

Ok so I've been neglectful on this subject. I bought the K-50 in October. I have a decent excuse... school ramped up, and I had barely any time to use the camera much. Once finals were over, the first thing I did last week was register the product on the Ricoh site.

Now I am looking to protect my investment, and I was wondering what option are out there and what people recommend.

Question #1: Warranties and service plans

This is the big one. I know that there are services out there like Squaretrade for electronics. I am curious what the opinions are on some of these. Also, I have read about an extended warranty from Pentax that if I remember reading right, came with a free cleaning or two. I looked on the Ricoh site and couldn't find this, so if someone can point me in the right direction with a link I would be grateful.

Question #2: Physical protection

So we have these nice, clear, and very flush-with-body LCD's, just begging for something to scratch or even break them. I'm hoping these are constructed from something like Corning's Gorilla Glass but that's not perfect. What do some of you use to protect the screen? Self-adhering scratch protection films?

Also I've broached this subject recently... quick cleaning and de-dusting... I plan to keep handy a couple of those disposable Eclipse Type-2+ swabs in the tear-open packs for when I dirty up. I also have not one but two of those rocket blowers, one I generic and a bit smaller so I carry that. I'm also getting better at *quickly* changing lenses so I don't get dust in there. What are some of the habits you employ to reduce dust contamination?

Also I was wondering... I know WR lenses have more O-rings than just the one at the lens mount, but is it possible to put an O-ringed mount from a WR lens on a non-WR lens? I know this is a long shot (har har) but I was thinking that the addition of an O-ring at even just the mount point would at least better protect the camera body. Not sure how feasible that would be in terms of cost (or can such components be bought? Or salvaged off of otherwise junked lenses).

Question #3: Strapping

Strap or no strap? Some people in my Facebook friends list told me to ditch the strap. Not sure why. Also I've seen there are padded wrist straps as alternatives. So far I have kept my Pentax-monogrammed strap on my K-50 and usually have it around my neck for safety. But I also see seasoned photographers just carrying their cameras in hand, without strap or anything. Maybe as an aspiring amateur I'm a bit paranoid, and I know in the world of photography a K-50 isn't regarded as "expensive", but I'd rather have this thing weighing down my neck and a bit safer. As it is I keep my (smaller of the two) camera bag on my shoulder and leave it in there until I know I'll be shooting.

What about you guys? Maybe this isn't a big topic on this forum but it falls under the sentiments of this post and I was wondering what your thoughts were. Of course Question #3 can also tie back to #1 when considering warranties that offer full replacement for any situation.

SO yes, share with me your thoughts on protecting your K-50 investment. I have the time and the money right now to properly protect this thing, but before I start shelling out the cash I want some input on how best to spend the money in my effort to protect my camera.

12-26-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Suleeto Quote

Question #2: Physical protection

So we have these nice, clear, and very flush-with-body LCD's, just begging for something to scratch or even break them. I'm hoping these are constructed from something like Corning's Gorilla Glass but that's not perfect. What do some of you use to protect the screen? Self-adhering scratch protection films?

Also I've broached this subject recently... quick cleaning and de-dusting... I plan to keep handy a couple of those disposable Eclipse Type-2+ swabs in the tear-open packs for when I dirty up. I also have not one but two of those rocket blowers, one I generic and a bit smaller so I carry that. I'm also getting better at *quickly* changing lenses so I don't get dust in there. What are some of the habits you employ to reduce dust contamination?

Also I was wondering... I know WR lenses have more O-rings than just the one at the lens mount, but is it possible to put an O-ringed mount from a WR lens on a non-WR lens? I know this is a long shot (har har) but I was thinking that the addition of an O-ring at even just the mount point would at least better protect the camera body. Not sure how feasible that would be in terms of cost (or can such components be bought? Or salvaged off of otherwise junked lenses).

Question #3: Strapping

Strap or no strap? Some people in my Facebook friends list told me to ditch the strap. Not sure why. Also I've seen there are padded wrist straps as alternatives. So far I have kept my Pentax-monogrammed strap on my K-50 and usually have it around my neck for safety. But I also see seasoned photographers just carrying their cameras in hand, without strap or anything. Maybe as an aspiring amateur I'm a bit paranoid, and I know in the world of photography a K-50 isn't regarded as "expensive", but I'd rather have this thing weighing down my neck and a bit safer. As it is I keep my (smaller of the two) camera bag on my shoulder and leave it in there until I know I'll be shooting.

What about you guys? Maybe this isn't a big topic on this forum but it falls under the sentiments of this post and I was wondering what your thoughts were. Of course Question #3 can also tie back to #1 when considering warranties that offer full replacement for any situation.

SO yes, share with me your thoughts on protecting your K-50 investment. I have the time and the money right now to properly protect this thing, but before I start shelling out the cash I want some input on how best to spend the money in my effort to protect my camera.
Depends on how you treat your equipment, if you are concerned about little scratches, by all means put some protective cover on.... I remember I did that on my first DSLR, but then I got lazy and don't do that any more... but I am always mindful that I have to be cautious with the equipment to avoid any potential damages.

As for the straps, I wouldn't worry about what other people do or think, just put on the straps and play it safe. Unless you are very picky on how you look with the camera. Your k-50 is a great tool, just enjoy it.
12-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know that there are services out there like Squaretrade for electronics. I am curious what the opinions are on some of these. Also, I have read about an extended warranty from Pentax that if I remember reading right, came with a free cleaning or two. I
Did you use a credit card to purchase the camera? If so, check your policy--many cards extend the warranty by a year. In two years, your camera may not be worth repairing.

M
12-26-2014, 02:47 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is the big one. I know that there are services out there like Squaretrade for electronics. I am curious what the opinions are on some of these. Also, I have read about an extended warranty from Pentax that if I remember reading right, came with a free cleaning or two. I looked on the Ricoh site and couldn't find this, so if someone can point me in the right direction with a link I would be grateful.
Here is the Ricoh/Pentax extended warranty:
Pentax 2-Year Extended Warranty for Pentax and Ricoh 85716 B&H

2 extra years for $20 is a steal compared to many other brands. This warranty can be added within 30 days of the original purchase.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #5

Original Poster
Damn it. So I can't add the extended warranty. I bought the camera in October and pretty sure I used that info when I registered the camera last week. Grrrrrr! That really blows!

I'm seriously pounding my fists over this one... nothing I previously read mentioned (to my recollection) that it had to be done within 30 days of purchase or for God sakes I would have

And no, it was a PayPal transaction. So that's out, too.

So that just leaves me Squaretrade. Which I know is a lot more than 20 bux.

And given everything is working properly in two years' time, actually yes I can see this camera continuing to be of great use for many more years to come. I'm not a professional so cameras like this one could continue to serve me well for a long time.
12-26-2014, 03:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What investment ?? ... These assets are BOUND to lose their value to nil over next 5-6 years ;-) :P
12-26-2014, 03:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
Assets... value... how do you define those kinds of terms?

Again I'm not nor will I ever be a professional. Optics considered, if the image results this camera produces are great, then "great" will still be "great" five years from now. Will there be "better"? Yes, sure. But the way I see it, this is a lot like a ball point pen. There are some really smooth and comfortable ones out there that ten years ago didn't exist, and they make the writing experience more comfortable... and therefore, arguably more productive. But a 30 year old ball point pen will sign a document just like today's trick pen.

The APS-C bound in this K-50 will still produce amazing pictures even a decade from now, even if a camera the size of a coat broach does just as good in ten years. See my point?

The reason why i posted my questions is because proper cameras are far from "disposable" after a few years. Just ask the SLR film buffs.

So now... I just need some thoughts on the best value warranty. Other than the Pentax extended that apparently I missed out on

12-26-2014, 03:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Assets... value... how do you define those kinds of terms?
The APS-C bound in this K-50 will still produce amazing pictures even a decade from now, even if a camera the size of a coat broach does just as good in ten years. See my point?
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
;-) :P
I think that'll do for an explanation what I meant.. of course I know these cameras will still be valid for many years to come. I still use my K10D on daily basis and it's from 2007 ,furthermore even though I have a K-01 - still use cameras back from 70's :P
but to the point.. no I have no idea about any warranties - actually never needed one in my life. From what I see though, the US folks are very fortunate with loads of cheap insurance and warranty options. I never see one of these down here in the UK
12-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #9

I was thinking about getting a screen cover for my K50, but haven't done so yet. My camera is usually in the bag unless I'm using it, but I have noticed some light wear on the screen already. Might go ahead and invest in the cover since they aren't expensive.

Has for the strap... I think that is a personal preference. Personally I HATE neck straps. First thing I did with my ist D was take off the wide next strap and custom make a smaller, narrower, lighter one. When I got the K50 I went with a Blackrapid Curve. Not a neck strap but still will keep the camera handy and ready to use without having to hold onto it while walking around. There is another similar brand that I saw crowd sourced a while back but don't remember the name of it.
12-26-2014, 09:02 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I don't care for the usual neck straps, because they are designed to fit around your neck, which isn't very comfortable. I used to try to wear those across my chest like a sling and probably looked like a fool. Then found a longer strap which is perfect to wear as a sling:
Pentax Padded DSLR Camera Strap 85232 B&H Photo Video

As you can see, this one is a genuine Pentax branded thing, which by itself is kinda cool because it helped another fellow Pentaxian spot me at a street fair a year ago, and now we are photography buddies.

Some other popular brands include Optech or Blackrapid. They can get expensive. Those have a larger ecosystem of interchangeable straps/fasteners so you can really go crazy, mixing and matching. But for me, I never felt the need to go with a "system" approach, one long strap is good enough for me.
12-26-2014, 11:20 PM   #11

Original Poster
Omg that's perfect! I'm ordering that strap now! Thanks!
12-29-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

re: straps
I take my camera along on long hikes, often in very hot weather. I wear my camera over my shoulder, so that it sits just below my elbow.
I don't like the feel of the stock strap, and don't like the prominent logo. For many years, I used a cotton web strap by Lowpro, until it finally disintegrated.

Last year I got a Domke "gripper", which is very similar and relatively inexpensive.

re: screen protectors
I tried some very cheap peel/stick type screen protectors on my K200D and found they didn't stay on very long or very well. Over many years, the screen
got scratched a bit, but it's something I could live with. After all, you aren't using the rear screen for critical work.
When I got my K30, I meant to get something on the screen right from the get-go, but I dragged my feet. Sure
enough, it got stuffed in the camera bag in such a way that something hard - maybe a strap buckle component - was against the screen. The bag was in a
carrier on the back of my bike, and after a few Km of bouncing over rough trails, I had a nice mark on the screen. I subsequently got some better quality
iPhone screen protectors. Cut to size, they seem to stay on fairly well.

I don't worry too much about fancy products for cleaning the exterior, but I have a rocket blower for the screen. One of those is essential IMHO ( if you plan
on swapping lenses "in the wild" ).
12-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Omg that's perfect! I'm ordering that strap now! Thanks!
If/when you get the strap, make sure you thread it through the buckles the correct way. The buckles are not pre-installed on the strap.

Like the belt on your pants, the buckles are not symmetrical and have an inside and an outside. But unlike the belt on your pants, the straps are supposed to thread through the buckle so that they take sharp bends to lock them in place, not so that they look smooth and take gentle bends. I had mine oriented the "smooth" way and I was able to suddenly pull it loose with very little tension. Luckily the camera was sitting on my desk and nothing fell on the floor.
01-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by penguinsoda Quote
I was thinking about getting a screen cover for my K50, but haven't done so yet. My camera is usually in the bag unless I'm using it, but I have noticed some light wear on the screen already. Might go ahead and invest in the cover since they aren't expensive.

Has for the strap... I think that is a personal preference. Personally I HATE neck straps. First thing I did with my ist D was take off the wide next strap and custom make a smaller, narrower, lighter one. When I got the K50 I went with a Blackrapid Curve. Not a neck strap but still will keep the camera handy and ready to use without having to hold onto it while walking around. There is another similar brand that I saw crowd sourced a while back but don't remember the name of it.
I put hard protective screens on all my cameras, when first purchased. Over the years this has included cheap or second hand) compacts, professional compacts, DSLR' etc.. I have never regretted it. Good for resale value if nothing else.

With regard to straps...comfort first, style a very long second! Personally I hid the uncomfortable Pentax straps on my K50 and 5ll in their camera box as soon as possible and replaced them with neoprene ones. Did the same with my holster style shoulder bags. Neoprene, as well as being a lot more comfortable, also makes the outfit seem lighter.
01-02-2015, 01:23 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a hand strap and a sling strap attached to my K-50. Those are all the protective equipment I use. I hate screen protectors. Plastic protectors are much weaker than the glass on my K-50's screen, and attract much more scratches. There're glass screen protectors, but I have no experience with them.