Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #1

Resetting Filename ?

Hi all. I've been really enjoying my new K-30 over the past week. However, I've poured through the manual and online and am not finding a way to do a couple things which all of my compact digicams were able to do:

1. Reset the filename to zero
2. Display the total number of images taken on the card in playback mode - preferably showing which picture you're currently viewing, as well. For example, 150/400.

Are these just not possible on the K-30? If not, what happens after image 9999? Does the filename add another digit, or does it go back to zero? I tried creating a new folder, thinking perhaps that would change things, but that just puts new images in the new folder starting after the last number in the previous folder. So if I were on image 1500 in folder 100, the next image would be 1501 in folder 101.

Thanks in advance!

12-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaroncgi Quote
2. Display the total number of images taken on the card in playback mode - preferably showing which picture you're currently viewing, as well. For example, 150/400.
Zoom out and you can see how many photos are in each folder.

1. Reset the filename to zero
Look in the setup menu

re these just not possible on the K-30? If not, what happens after image 9999?
It rolls over to 0001

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The answer to the first question is found on pages 215-217, with the most specific information relating to File Number addressed on p. 216. On the camera menu settings, you will find this choice within the "Memory" category, on the 2nd page of those settings. Every folder will start with 0001 and go upward if you opt to reset instead of allow for sequential.

Can't say that I know of a solution to the second question, and quite sure none of the dSLRs I've owned from Pentax and Canon provided for indicating the X# image of total images taken in a folder (or in the session, or that day, etc). I can see where it might come in handy if you want to take a certain number of images repeatedly of several subjects.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 12-30-2014 at 09:28 PM.
12-30-2014, 09:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Deleting all the files on the card should start renumbering from 0001.

12-30-2014, 10:10 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Are you sure?
I'd consider it a fault with the camera if that was the case!
Thankfully that never happens with any of my Pentax cameras, what a nuisance that would be when I copy new images to my file libraries.
12-30-2014, 10:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

No, that doesn't do it. I remove or move photos from my card used in my K-30 all the time, and it does not reset to 001. I don't think there is a way to do this, I just spent an hour going through the manual and couldn't find any way to reset it to 001. Like Steve said, I'm glad it doesn't reset to 001, it sure would be a problem after moving my images to the external harddrive.
12-30-2014, 10:35 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you create a file with a higher number in the current folder, the camera still start at that number. This also applies when switching memory cards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-30-2014, 11:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Not necessarily... unless you also turn off the filename in memory; then shut-off and on.
If you want to change the filename to a specific number, it is a bit tricky, you have a create a folder name with the same date, then create or copy a file to the folder with filename that you want to start with.

12-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I started my K5 with a filename prefix of K5__. When I got to K5__9999 I changed the file name to K5_1 so the numbers seem to just run on.
(OK... I didn't get a file K5_10000 but no one gets 10000 as a number either - and I didn't change the file name prefix right on time so I had to renumber a small number of files!)

It raises an interesting issue: what do owners of multiple cameras do? Have a different prefix for each body, I suppose.
12-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I started my K5 with a filename prefix of K5__. When I got to K5__9999 I changed the file name to K5_1 so the numbers seem to just run on.
(OK... I didn't get a file K5_10000 but no one gets 10000 as a number either - and I didn't change the file name prefix right on time so I had to renumber a small number of files!)

It raises an interesting issue: what do owners of multiple cameras do? Have a different prefix for each body, I suppose.
Correct, I have k-5/IIs/3, I have the filename prefix as K5_Pxxxx, K52Pxxxx and K3_Pxxxx.
12-31-2014, 12:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Not necessarily... unless you also turn off the filename in memory; then shut-off and on.
For the K-50 you have to disable Camera menu 4>>Memory>>File No. But this isn't default.
I'd be surprised if the K-30 wasn't the same.

---------- Post added 12-31-14 at 05:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
You can't change file name prefix with the K-01, Q or MX-1. For these I use PIE to batch rename based on camera model in EXIF.

Import, rename, view, organize, tag and geotag photos - EXIF & IPTC metadata - PIE - Picmeta Systems
12-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Zoom out and you can see how many photos are in each folder.

Look in the setup menu

It rolls over to 0001

I did try zooming out, as this is common behavior among the compact cameras as well, to display all the pictures in a thumbnail gallery style. However, that didn't give me a count of the total number of images. I cycled through all the information display options and none showed anything other than the file number, unless I'm missing it. Not a huge deal, I just like seeing how many pictures I've taken on a particular day/trip. The thumbnail gallery can give you a rough idea I suppose, just takes a little basic math. Thanks!

Edit: I just noticed there is what's called a Calendar Filmstrip Display, and that display does show the total number of images shot on a particular date, so that should work, sweet.

---------- Post added 12-31-14 at 07:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
The answer to the first question is found on pages 215-217, with the most specific information relating to File Number addressed on p. 216. On the camera menu settings, you will find this choice within the "Memory" category, on the 2nd page of those settings. Every folder will start with 0001 and go upward if you opt to reset instead of allow for sequential.

Can't say that I know of a solution to the second question, and quite sure none of the dSLRs I've owned from Pentax and Canon provided for indicating the X# image of total images taken in a folder (or in the session, or that day, etc). I can see where it might come in handy if you want to take a certain number of images repeatedly of several subjects.

Thanks much! I can see how I missed that. Looks like a new folder is automatically created for each new date, which is fine, and if you don't have the File No. saved in memory, each new folder starts with file number 0001. It's doesn't specifically say so, but I have to assume that unlike the other saved memory items, the file number is only reset with the new folder creation, rather than with power off/on, which makes sense - otherwise you'd get filename conflicts.

Speaking of memory, I love how this camera is able to save all these items, most specifically, the drive mode and the location in the menu last visited. It frustrated me to no end in most (not all) of my compact cameras when the self timer would disable itself after every shot! It's so much faster to get around in the Pentax menu system than any other I've used.

Last edited by aaroncgi; 12-31-2014 at 08:59 AM.