Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

its official

my new baby is christened...the lens barrel has a nice little paint ding in its otherwise pristine snow white sparkle paint. Its about 4.5 mm by 1.5 mm of a scratch. But I guess that what I get for letting my 12 yr old niece take a bunch of photos on auto today...Had I thought it through, I would have given her the k-x to play with, but we were already out by the time she wanted to take some shots of the parade...anywhoo, anyone know if there is a touch up kit I could get? Do I need to worry about this rusting? Could I send this in for a touch up? Would this be covered in my added on protection falls and spills warranty? Do I not worry?

01-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You mean that the lens body is scratched and you worry about it? Really? My older K-5 will be naked within a couple of years with the rate I'm wearing off the plastic paint!
01-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You mean that the lens body is scratched and you worry about it? Really? My older K-5 will be naked within a couple of years with the rate I'm wearing off the plastic paint!
the camera is pretty much brand spankin new...and yes, I see shiny metal, so I was worried about rusting.my k-x had cheaper plastic lenses, so when it scratched, it was still white underneath, just a scratch.
01-01-2015, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

My white K-30 took a massive tumble (and so did I) in September and lots of paint chips and scratches were suffered. No such thing as rust, though, and the beast is looking more rugged and handsome than ever!

01-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a paint pen from your local auto parts store
01-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Don't worry and call the lens "broken in and battle scarred"
01-01-2015, 07:25 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Don't worry and call the lens "broken in and battle scarred"
Ha yes...scarred in a battle of glitter and sequins between a 12 yr old girl, and the Mummers and her sisters she was shooting! This little lady is the culprit!

Attached Images

01-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The metal underneath is likely aluminum or an alloy of aluminum; it unlikely to rust.
01-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
My white K-30 took a massive tumble (and so did I) in September and lots of paint chips and scratches were suffered. No such thing as rust, though, and the beast is looking more rugged and handsome than ever!
That is a great attitude. :-) And how did you fare? Hopefully you are alright as well?

---------- Post added 01-01-15 at 10:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
Ha yes...scarred in a battle of glitter and sequins between a 12 yr old girl, and the Mummers and her sisters she was shooting! This little lady is the culprit!
Haha, that is a great photo! She looks much too sweet to have done anything to your camera.

I cannot imagine how your heart must have fallen when she dropped it-- so glad it is alright!
01-02-2015, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Equus17 Quote
how did you fare?
Oh, I'm fine. I just hurt my pride. :-P
01-02-2015, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Equus17 Quote

Haha, that is a great photo! She looks much too sweet to have done anything to your camera.

I cannot imagine how your heart must have fallen when she dropped it-- so glad it is alright!

It wasn't dropped! She kept the strap on the whole time! it slammed into something while she had it on. Sigh... live an let learn....
01-03-2015, 03:17 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
It wasn't dropped! She kept the strap on the whole time! it slammed into something while she had it on. Sigh... live an let learn....

"Stuff" can be replaced but children grow up and childhood is lost forever. Despite what the advertisers might want you to believe, nothing is more important than family and relationships.
01-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
"Stuff" can be replaced but children grow up and childhood is lost forever. Despite what the advertisers might want you to believe, nothing is more important than family and relationships.
That is my point. The live and let learn part is that there is nothing I can do now about it. I shoulda coulda woulda given her the kx to use, but didn't. It is not her fault. She is a child, and it could have happened to me too. I was just frustrated at the fact that I had it less than a month part. Also was worried about rusting. I know now that is won't rust, and will be having my kx serviced to give this creative young lady for her birthday!!
01-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Coincidentally, like a prophecy, I dropped my K-30 off my desk the over the weekend, without a lens mounted. Took off a pretty good chunk. Ooops. Everything still works fine. Hurrah!

Just call me Ms. Butterfingers. :-P
01-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That's what superglue is for.