Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 05:07 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 55
its official

my new baby is christened...the lens barrel has a nice little paint ding in its otherwise pristine snow white sparkle paint. Its about 4.5 mm by 1.5 mm of a scratch. But I guess that what I get for letting my 12 yr old niece take a bunch of photos on auto today...Had I thought it through, I would have given her the k-x to play with, but we were already out by the time she wanted to take some shots of the parade...anywhoo, anyone know if there is a touch up kit I could get? Do I need to worry about this rusting? Could I send this in for a touch up? Would this be covered in my added on protection falls and spills warranty? Do I not worry?

01-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
You mean that the lens body is scratched and you worry about it? Really? My older K-5 will be naked within a couple of years with the rate I'm wearing off the plastic paint!
01-01-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 55
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
You mean that the lens body is scratched and you worry about it? Really? My older K-5 will be naked within a couple of years with the rate I'm wearing off the plastic paint!
the camera is pretty much brand spankin new...and yes, I see shiny metal, so I was worried about rusting.my k-x had cheaper plastic lenses, so when it scratched, it was still white underneath, just a scratch.
01-01-2015, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
severalsnakes's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Shawnee, KS
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,412
My white K-30 took a massive tumble (and so did I) in September and lots of paint chips and scratches were suffered. No such thing as rust, though, and the beast is looking more rugged and handsome than ever!

01-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member
chromo's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Coast NSW
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 563
Get a paint pen from your local auto parts store
01-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,439
Don't worry and call the lens "broken in and battle scarred"
01-01-2015, 07:25 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 55
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Don't worry and call the lens "broken in and battle scarred"
Ha yes...scarred in a battle of glitter and sequins between a 12 yr old girl, and the Mummers and her sisters she was shooting! This little lady is the culprit!
Attached Images
 
01-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter
dakight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,138
The metal underneath is likely aluminum or an alloy of aluminum; it unlikely to rust.

01-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #9
Junior Member
Equus17's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Central Coast of California
Posts: 26
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
My white K-30 took a massive tumble (and so did I) in September and lots of paint chips and scratches were suffered. No such thing as rust, though, and the beast is looking more rugged and handsome than ever!
That is a great attitude. :-) And how did you fare? Hopefully you are alright as well?

---------- Post added 01-01-15 at 10:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
Ha yes...scarred in a battle of glitter and sequins between a 12 yr old girl, and the Mummers and her sisters she was shooting! This little lady is the culprit!
Haha, that is a great photo! She looks much too sweet to have done anything to your camera.

I cannot imagine how your heart must have fallen when she dropped it-- so glad it is alright!
01-02-2015, 05:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
severalsnakes's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Shawnee, KS
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,412
QuoteOriginally posted by Equus17 Quote
how did you fare?
Oh, I'm fine. I just hurt my pride. :-P
01-02-2015, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 55
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Equus17 Quote

Haha, that is a great photo! She looks much too sweet to have done anything to your camera.

I cannot imagine how your heart must have fallen when she dropped it-- so glad it is alright!


It wasn't dropped! She kept the strap on the whole time! it slammed into something while she had it on. Sigh... live an let learn....
01-03-2015, 03:17 AM   #12
Site Supporter
dakight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,138
QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
It wasn't dropped! She kept the strap on the whole time! it slammed into something while she had it on. Sigh... live an let learn....


"Stuff" can be replaced but children grow up and childhood is lost forever. Despite what the advertisers might want you to believe, nothing is more important than family and relationships.
01-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 55
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
"Stuff" can be replaced but children grow up and childhood is lost forever. Despite what the advertisers might want you to believe, nothing is more important than family and relationships.
That is my point. The live and let learn part is that there is nothing I can do now about it. I shoulda coulda woulda given her the kx to use, but didn't. It is not her fault. She is a child, and it could have happened to me too. I was just frustrated at the fact that I had it less than a month part. Also was worried about rusting. I know now that is won't rust, and will be having my kx serviced to give this creative young lady for her birthday!!
01-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
Site Supporter
severalsnakes's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Shawnee, KS
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,412
Coincidentally, like a prophecy, I dropped my K-30 off my desk the over the weekend, without a lens mounted. Took off a pretty good chunk. Ooops. Everything still works fine. Hurrah!



Just call me Ms. Butterfingers. :-P
01-05-2015, 05:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
dakight's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,138
That's what superglue is for.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
alright, k-30, k-50, mm, paint, pentax k30, pentax k50, touch
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro Its winter and its wet and windy and old4570 Post Your Photos! 2 07-02-2014 12:04 AM
I'm Official JasenDean Welcomes and Introductions 6 05-30-2013 11:53 AM
Its official: I love my K-01 pentaxian_tmb Pentax K-01 9 04-01-2013 03:17 PM
Its Official pentkon52 Photographic Technique 4 06-17-2008 11:22 AM
Official samples & official web sites nosnoop Pentax News and Rumors 29 01-25-2008 06:12 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top