Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Issues with new K-50

I have one day a week to spend with my granddaughter so we do a lot of playing and i take a ton of pictures. She does not sit still so i usually shoot lots of pictures and most do not turn out but usually get some great shots. I have been using a Sony Cyber-shot until it recently died on me, i am also going thru a very hard divorce and use photography to get me thru it. I recently purchased this used K-50 and decided to give it a whirl, i set everything on auto with flash up. I knew she would not sit still for me to make any adjustments. The problem i was having is the camera would take on good picture and then she would move and when i went to take another picture the flash would flash but the shutter speed would read jpeg 0.8" and the picture would be over exposed. Then some times the flash would not flash and she would be out of focus and movement in the picture.

01-02-2015, 11:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

if you set your dial to scn, there is then an icon of a running figure "moving object" I find this setting works great on small children~ good luck!
01-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are several SCN (scene) modes and the moving one is a good choice but the kids mode may be better. See page 84 in the manual. Flash recycle time may make it hard to capture multiple shots in a row, increasing the sensitivity (ISO) may help. Setting a minimum shutter speed may help as well, these options may not be in your control directly when using SCN modes. Think of SCN as a shortcut to help until you are ready to take more control.

Do you have the manual? If not download it from here: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-50.pdf

BTW, which lens do you have?

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01-03-2015 at 07:03 AM.
01-03-2015, 02:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd increase the ISO value to 1600 or even 3200. If you're not pixel-peeping, 3200 is still acceptable. It's better to have noises than a blurry shadow.
Also, turn on the tracking AF and see if it helps.

01-03-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There are several SCN (scene) modes and the moving one is a good choice but the kids mode may be better. See page 84 in the manual. Flash recycle time may make it hard to capture multiple shots in a row, increasing the sensitivity (ISO) may help. Setting a minimum shutter speed may help as well, these options may not be in your control directly when using SCN modes. Think of SCN as a shortcut to help until you are ready to take more control.

Do you have the manual? If not download it from here: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-50.pdf

BTW, which lens do you have?
Thanks, yes, 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR

---------- Post added 01-03-15 at 09:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pixxie Quote
if you set your dial to scn, there is then an icon of a running figure "moving object" I find this setting works great on small children~ good luck!
Thanks

---------- Post added 01-03-15 at 09:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
I'd increase the ISO value to 1600 or even 3200. If you're not pixel-peeping, 3200 is still acceptable. It's better to have noises than a blurry shadow.
Also, turn on the tracking AF and see if it helps.

Thanks
01-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That kit lens is a bit 'slow' meaning it limits the light reaching the sensor but it should work well if you increase the ISO. Outdoors will work even better when you don't need flash.