Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agree with everyone here. 18-135 is an amazing lens for it's price. The focal length range is very very useful, auto-focus is fast and quiet. Once you use it for some time, it will give you an idea of what focal lengths you like more and then you can decide if you want a prime lens for that focal length.

If you really want a telephoto zoom lens, go for the kit with 55-300. It's much better than the 55-200 and worth extra money.

01-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 18-135 for me as well. I have aa couple 18-55s being used as body caps for my older cameras. They never go anywhere, I'm out with the 18-135 all the time. And the discount when you buy it as the kit lens with a body, you just can't do as well any other time. That's well below second hand prices.
01-10-2015, 11:29 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
The 18-135mm is not a kit lens right? Because they sell it separately?

Just wanna weigh all my options before the [big] purchase.

Thanks again for the advice!
Exactly, the 18-135mm is better than the 18-55 and being WR you will find it very useful, even if in the future you will decide to take faster lenses in the same range. As said by other users, it is a very good walk-around lens, metal mount, silent, wr and includes the hood.
01-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK I'm sold lol.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Now I just need help finding a prime to accompany! Hahaha

01-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #20
Site Supporter

18-135 for my vote as well.

...what will better my advancement into photography?
...practice, practice, practice...

Haha thanks!
I am honestly considering this option...
The 18-135mm is not a kit lens right? Because they sell it separately?

Just wanna weigh all my options before the [big] purchase.
I'm not an expert by any means nor do I know your level of experience is pertaining to photography. But if this is your very first journey into the DSLR world and have had no experience even with other brands, one advice I would give regardless of the kit you purchase is try to avoid the urge of a side-by-side IQ comparison between your new camera and what you can get from a point-and-shoot (or cell phone) – you might be disappointed.

I've come across people who made the “big” purchase and crossed over from P&S to DSLR. The first thing they did is take a few dozen shots with their shinny new DSLR (in auto-mode) and their old P&S then compare the photos side-by-side expecting a night and day IQ difference, only to find themselves virtually unable to distinguish which camera produced what images. A DSLR of any brand in Auto-Mode is essentially a P&S. It will be a steep learning curve but the K-50/18-135 “kit” is an excellent package to start with and may last you quite a while before you outgrow it.

Important thing to remember is learning takes time and enjoy photography. LBA is real and can be hazardous to the wallet lurking around ebay.

Cheers!
01-10-2015, 12:39 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

DA 35mm 2.4 and DA 50mm 1.8 are the cheapest good primes (new). I own both, but I use more the 35mm since it is more versatile (just my personal opinion).
01-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

As @Flaviopetrone says, the DA 35mm f2.4 and DA 50mm f1.8 are both good. I also have both. I agree that the 35 is more versatile - on APS-C it is roughly equivalent to a normal view, like the nifty fifties of yore which were standard lenses on many film cameras. The 35 is a very good lens for video too. OTOH, for portraits, low light and subject isolation the DA 50 is excellent. It is the plastic iteration of a long line of compact 50mm primes that Pentax has produced over many years.

You can probably get some discount if you bundle one or both with your camera purchase.

You might be better to try the 18-135 for a while first and see what focal lengths you find most useful, and then look for a prime or two at those focal lengths. One of the joys of Pentax is the great range of prime lenses available.

I also agree with the suggestions above for a 55-300 to complement the 18-135. The WR version of the 55-300 is the obvious choice, but if you are at risk of blowing your budget the much cheaper DA and DA-L versions ($200 or less, second-hand) are optically identical and outstanding value.
01-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Go K50 and no matter what.....get your hands on the 18-135. !
Its a UNIVERSAL Pentaxian consensus....!

01-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 35 is great, and the 55-300 is also. However if you like ultrawide perspective the 15mm limited is a lot of fun. A macro is another option, the DA 35 limited macro doesn't have a huge working distance, but it fills in two types of photography great for you - a "normal prime" and a macro lens if you have any interests in that.
01-10-2015, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
Its a UNIVERSAL Pentaxian consensus....!
^^^^^ This does not happen that often.

As for a "first prime" I have never owned the 35mm, but I will say that focal length... you will find useful... very. An alternative to that is if you can get a F28 f2.8 on the second hand market...For a first prime... somewhere between 28mm to 35mm is the way to go on our crop sensors.

Last edited by alamo5000; 01-10-2015 at 09:39 PM.
01-11-2015, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
^^^^^ This does not happen that often.

As for a "first prime" I have never owned the 35mm, but I will say that focal length... you will find useful... very. An alternative to that is if you can get a F28 f2.8 on the second hand market...For a first prime... somewhere between 28mm to 35mm is the way to go on our crop sensors.
I think the Plastic Fantastic 35mm is ALSO a Universal Pentaxian consensus lens......its Fantastic and would be an excellent choice for a inexpensive prime ! It will get lots of use and is cheap ! Used...about $90....new about $130
And if the plastic mount bothers you ??? There is a metal conversion somewhere on here you can do......somewhere.....lol

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-11-2015 at 09:15 AM.
01-11-2015, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
I think the Plastic Fantastic 35mm is ALSO a Universal Pentaxian consensus lens......its Fantastic and would be an excellent choice for a inexpensive prime ! It will get lots of use and is cheap ! Used...about $90....new about $130
And if the plastic mount bothers you ??? There is a metal conversion somewhere on here you can do......somewhere.....lol
For the size and weight of the DA 35 f2.4 the plastic mount is more than adequate. A metal mount would give more of an upper level appearance but one of the things I love about my 35 is it's lack of pretense; it is what it is and it does what it does very well. It outperforms lenses costing substantially more and it's financial footprint is very modest. Definitely an overachiever.
01-11-2015, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
For the size and weight of the DA 35 f2.4 the plastic mount is more than adequate. A metal mount would give more of an upper level appearance but one of the things I love about my 35 is it's lack of pretense; it is what it is and it does what it does very well. It outperforms lenses costing substantially more and it's financial footprint is very modest. Definitely an overachiever.
Holy words!
01-11-2015, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by flaviopetrone Quote
Holy words!
Yes....And on the Sabbath day too....... This is definitely a message from GOD ....!
I have heeded these sacred words long ago...... and obeyed ...

01-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #30
Pentaxian

SO I'm looking to purchase my first DSLR and I've finally decided on the K-50...
Now I'm looking to you guys!

What's the better deal and what will better my advancement into photography? I've found some great deals on B&H, but there are too many options at too many price points that I need help!

here are my options:

Pentax K-50 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 and 10905 B&H

Essentially these are all just the k-50 with different kit lenses...
Which lenses are worth the prices listed?

Or should I go body only and look for first lenses elsewhere?

Give me your expertise!!!
Thanks!
This is the one I got plus an extra K-50 body in red. I wanted the 2 kit lenses & I plan on eventually buying the 18-135 later on.

Here's where you have to think about it, though. If you know that you will definitely want the 18-55, 50-200, & eventually get 18-135, this is the cheapest deal.

If you're definitely sure that you will never want to own the 18-55 & 50-200, then skip this deal & jump to the cheapest version of the 18-135 kit & you'll be good to go.

Pentax K-50 Digital SLR Camera with 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 10916 B&H

^ That's the one.