Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-50 Battery Indicator

I have noticed something about the K-50 battery indicator and I just thought I'd verify what I think is happening. A couple of times I saw the battery indicator displaying a yellow color and a level of about 25% of the scale then later it would be green and nearer to 75-80% of scale. Today it happened again so I did some checking and found that when I activate live view the indicated battery life drops down and the scale turns yellow. I think the indicator is showing estimated remaining battery charge rather than actually current charge level. This is different that most devices I'm familiar with but it does make sense if that's in fact what it is doing.

01-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I have noticed something about the K-50 battery indicator and I just thought I'd verify what I think is happening. A couple of times I saw the battery indicator displaying a yellow color and a level of about 25% of the scale then later it would be green and nearer to 75-80% of scale. Today it happened again so I did some checking and found that when I activate live view the indicated battery life drops down and the scale turns yellow. I think the indicator is showing estimated remaining battery charge rather than actually current charge level. This is different that most devices I'm familiar with but it does make sense if that's in fact what it is doing.
This is quite normal since live view drains a lot of power, but it doesn't mean that your battery is actually that low. If you're using a third party battery, it could also be to blame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I had a wasabi battery in today but I've also seen it happen with the original. I guessed that it was normal behavior, just different from what I expected.
01-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Typically those types of circuits measure voltage and estimate remaining battery life. The more current consumed the lower the voltage drops which would make live view show lower estimated battery life than viewfinder use.

02-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have experienced this as well.......yeller at one moment then back to green almost fully after the old turn off/on trick.......only 1 battery and don't use live view.....it's been quite typical after being in the cold doing intervals for star trails or stills with the o-gps-1 but usually under 200+/- shots....wonder if it will be different when warmer out as I will stay out much longer but by then I will have another battery and the 'aa' back up............for now the cold has ended shooting versus the battery actually giving out