Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 04:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sensor or shutter malfunction?

I was switching between the viewfinder and live view today... I switched to viewfinder from live view and framed a shot, snapped it. The image flashed up on the screen and I noticed that an element that I was SURE I had properly framed had been cut off. I reframed and took another shot. It was still cropped at the bottom. I pulled up the image in playback and saw the whole TOP of the frame was dark, like something was blocking the sensor, maybe? I checked that the lens was properly attached and that the hood wasn't in the way. Nothing. The top of the frame has a little arch, like it's the projected image circle I'm seeing maybe? So it must be an issue with the sensor being misaligned, or reading the wrong "area"?

I tried to turn the camera off, and it did not respond. I switched it on, then off again. Popped the battery out and back in. It turned on fine, but it had "forgotten" the settings I had made for the shoots I was taking currently and went back to settings I had been using the last time the camera was on and working properly. The little camera brain "crashed" and started from where it last remembered working properly. :-P

Everything seems to be working OK now, but what am I seeing here? Shutter malfunction? Sensor malfunction? Mirror?

01-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Processor malfunction. In the past low battery, high temp + high humidity have been associated with such hiccups.
01-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
...high temp + high humidity have been associated with such hiccups.
Isn't the camera supposed to be weather resistant? Or is it water resistant?
01-11-2015, 05:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, I left out important information:

K-30, Rokinon 8/3.5, manual exposure mode. It was around 35-40F, misting precipitation.

The battery was getting low, so that probably contributed. I just thought it was very strange that it would re-compose the scene through the viewfinder, but how the hell do I know what the sensor is "seeing" and therefore processing... Things that make you go hmmm...

01-11-2015, 05:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Flugelbinder Quote
Isn't the camera supposed to be weather resistant? Or is it water resistant?
Battery's are responsive to temperature. Unless the body has a cooling system that's going to be a factor.
01-11-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I checked that the lens was properly attached and that the hood wasn't in the way. Nothing. The top of the frame has a little arch, like it's the projected image circle I'm seeing maybe? So it must be an issue with the sensor being misaligned, or reading the wrong "area"?
are you sure you had composition adjustment zeroed? Shifting the sensor by too much with an APS-C specific lens like the Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 can cause the sensor to go outside of the imaging circle of the lens - normally switching back to the OVF resets composition adjustment - but from the image you posted the sensor is clearly outside the imaging circle of the lens - yes, that is the lens hood you are seeing in that image.
01-11-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Everything seems to be working OK now, but what am I seeing here? Shutter malfunction? Sensor malfunction? Mirror?
[Edit: Digitalis beat me by a minute!] The hood. Not sure how that happened (maybe the sensor shifted too far to that corner?), but it certainly looks like a portion of this (from another site):

01-11-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's the hood!

Edit: Ooopsss, they've already said it

01-11-2015, 06:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fantastic!! I see exactly what it is, now!!

But, I did nothing besides switch from view finder, to live view, back to viewfinder... I've never made "composition adjustments" (although I did read a how-to on it once before, so I know the feature you're talking about).

Excellent trouble shooting, peeps! I knew I could count on you.

I'm just gonna call it a fluke and keep my fingers crossed.
01-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

But, I did nothing besides switch from view finder, to live view, back to viewfinder... I've never made "composition adjustments" (although I did read a how-to on it once before, so I know the feature you're talking about).
Most likely it was the SR going wonky for a bit. Interesting effect, in any case...
01-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I'm going to throw my vote in behind panoguy above. That looks like the sensor shifting around to compensate for some amount of shake. Unfortunately the sensor shifted outside the projected APS circle.

You pressed the shutter button with your right finger. The camera went down and to the left. The sensor went up and to the right to compensate.
01-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
you pressed the shutter button with your right finger. The camera went down and to the left. The sensor went up and to the right to compensate.
There is a problem with that theory - the shutter speed was 1/50th of a second, With such a wide lens the SR mechanism shouldn't have moved that far, that fast. My thought is that it is possible that the Stop-Starting of the SR mechanism caused by the switch in viewing mode, combined with residual magnetism inherent in electromagnets cased the sensor to momentarily "stick" the to bottom left of the SR assembly.
01-13-2015, 09:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
There is a problem with that theory - the shutter speed was 1/50th of a second, With such a wide lens the SR mechanism shouldn't have moved that far, that fast. My thought is that it is possible that the Stop-Starting of the SR mechanism caused by the switch in viewing mode, combined with residual magnetism inherent in electromagnets cased the sensor to momentarily "stick" the to bottom left of the SR assembly.
Maybe.... but maybe also @severalsnakes was so excited about her lens that she was shaking like a leaf. She took the picture and before the camera had time to flip the mirror and cycle the shutter she started moving to the next shot. Thank goodness the SR mechanism caught up as much as it did and captured whatever it could!

Honestly though, I would be curious to see if the effect can be reproduced.
01-13-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
[Edit: Digitalis beat me by a minute!] The hood. Not sure how that happened (maybe the sensor shifted too far to that corner?), but it certainly looks like a portion of this (from another site):
That is actually a cool image .
01-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
severalsnakes was so excited about her lens that she was shaking like a leaf.
lmao! Photography is a thrill, but maybe not so much that. :-P Since there were several (4-5 total) frames with identical flaws, I'd like to think the thing was "stuck" rather than inappropriately compensating, but I'm not claiming to know exactly what was going on in there...