Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dropped my K-50 today :(

While taking pictures at my mothers house in the country, my camera strap caught on a concrete pick nick table and snatched the camera from my hand. i bounced on the flash shoe, at my first inspection all i noticed was a slight scuff on the shoe and plastic cover. The camera turned on and took pictures, so i thought i was lucky. When i got home i was looking the camera over and noticed the Raw/Fx switch was missing and there was a small crack in the housing. where can i get a replacement Raw/Fx switch ?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT907  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
XT907  Photo 
01-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry. Warranty repair, its no longer WR.
01-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your k-50. That is the reason if my strap is not around my neck it is triple wrapped around my right arm. I had my DL snatched out of my hands once I was lucky and caught it just short of the ground. I vowed never to never give a camera a chance to escape again.
01-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ouch!
Was not caused by the strap but I do know that dreadful feeling as your camera clatters to the floor - early experience with my K-x and a 55-300 onto a concrete floor. Due to side flap on a pack left open (not obvious unfortunately). Luckily my kx and 55-300 came out unscathed and still work well to this day.

I suspect camera straps may have killed more cameras than they have saved. I have had a few close calls with my camera strap getting caught on things and now I am careful to put it over my head (or wrap it around my arm).

Some swear by wrist straps and I must admit they seem like a better solution and may try one myself.

01-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very sorry to hear of your mishap; but as another member said, it probably should go in for repair. I don't think the warranty would cover a mishap, however.
01-11-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Send it in for repairs. Ask for a quote, but it is worth getting it fixed. They will tune everything else up for you. Well worth doing.
01-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Warranty cover only manufactures defects. Not accidents. Home insurance can cover that however.

01-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I feel with You ... once it happened to me with my first DSLR, the *istD ... which needed to be sent to the service.
They charged me a price about one third of a new one *sigh* ... a painful experience ...

Send Yours to the service - imho there is no other way.
01-12-2015, 01:25 AM   #9

It may be too late for this, but...
I bought a 3 year square trade warranty for these kinds of mishaps when I got my k50. They have some fast replacement coverage. My fallback is my homeowners' insurance. Some insurance companies will sell you a rider on your homeowners' insurance to cover photographic equipment. Usually a nominal increment on the annual premiums.
01-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to see that. Stuff does happen.

It looks like it will need at least a new top cover and a new front cover (including button). Unfortunately it will not be an economic repair if you send it in.

Your options are:
- Live with it with the missing button and compromised weather sealing.
- Try to repair it yourself if you can track down used donor parts. This will be hard for a K50 right now. Soldering will be required.
- Cut your losses and sell it as a parts camera and buy a replacement.

Good luck
01-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rekrabm Quote
I bought a 3 year square trade warranty for these kinds of mishaps when I got my k50.
Warranty refers to manufacturing defects/poor materials etc, not owner's mishaps.
Extended warranties usually mean a service contract which extends the manufacturers warranty but covers the same 'failures'. Dropping a camera is a failure of the owner to take care. I don't see how any company can guarantee their product against clumsy owners accidents.

QuoteQuote:
In addition to standard warranties on new items, third parties or manufacturers may sell extended warranties (also called service contracts). These extend the warranty for a further length of time. However, these warranties have terms and conditions which may not match the original terms and conditions. For example, these may not cover anything other than mechanical failure from normal usage. Exclusions may include commercial use, "acts of God", owner abuse, and malicious destruction. They may also exclude parts that normally wear out such as tires and lubrication on a vehicle.

These types of warranties are provided for various products, but automobiles and electronics are common examples. Warranties which are sold through retailers such as Best Buy may include significant commission for the retailer as a result of reverse competition.[10] For instance, an auto warranty from a car dealership may be subcontracted and vehicle repairs may be at a lower rate which could compromise the quality of service. At the time of repair, out-of-pocket expenses may be charged for unexpected services provided outside of the warranty terms or uncovered parts.
01-17-2015, 07:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Sorry to see that. Stuff does happen.

It looks like it will need at least a new top cover and a new front cover (including button). Unfortunately it will not be an economic repair if you send it in.

Your options are:
- Live with it with the missing button and compromised weather sealing.
- Try to repair it yourself if you can track down used donor parts. This will be hard for a K50 right now. Soldering will be required.
- Cut your losses and sell it as a parts camera and buy a replacement.

Good luck
My thoughts exactly, I have purchased a new body from B+H and will use this camera as a learning tool !

---------- Post added 01-17-15 at 08:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rekrabm Quote
I bought a 3 year square trade warranty for these kinds of mishaps when I got my k50. They have some fast replacement coverage. My fallback is my homeowners' insurance. Some insurance companies will sell you a rider on your homeowners' insurance to cover photographic equipment. Usually a nominal increment on the annual premiums.

I purchased the 2 year drop/spill warrenty from square trade on the new body !
01-18-2015, 07:33 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
While taking pictures at my mothers house in the country, my camera strap caught on a concrete pick nick table and snatched the camera from my hand. i bounced on the flash shoe, at my first inspection all i noticed was a slight scuff on the shoe and plastic cover. The camera turned on and took pictures, so i thought i was lucky. When i got home i was looking the camera over and noticed the Raw/Fx switch was missing and there was a small crack in the housing. where can i get a replacement Raw/Fx switch ?
When did you. Up the camera? Some credit cards five 60/90 days of drop/damage/theft protection.
01-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
When did you. Up the camera? Some credit cards five 60/90 days of drop/damage/theft protection.
Last Saturday. I won the camera on ebay Dec. 25!
01-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Last Saturday. I won the camera on ebay Dec. 25!
Is it from an authorized seller?

In any case, at least check your credit card to see if they offer that benefit. Some, but not all do.

And if you paid with PayPal, they may not provide the benefit since it was an indirect payment.

Good luck.