Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 10:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K30 wont go into Focus peaking

Today I went to calibrate the 18-135 WR and got all set up with batteries and such. When I turned it on suddenly it wont go into focus peaking ? I get LV but no focus peaking. I only own one DA lens....all the rest are Manual. With this lens I get a box with green button selection when I hit OK to get focus peaking ???? Ive never seen this screen before and cant seem to get rid of it....I hit live view....then ok for focus peaking....instead get a screen with a box around centered object and rear wheel icon with choice for green button . If I turn the rear selector the box gets bigger and smaller??? I don't know what Im seeing.....??? I don't know how to get rid of it ??? Im not in composition ??? Im lost as far as what to do....
I have checked and rechecked about 5 times and tried everything I know. 100% battery , dismounting lens , settings.........double checked everything......now Im lost.
Right now Im very aggravated as Im getting tired of finding the glitches here and there between this K30 and my K3.
Now I have to come here yet again and beg for Pentaxian mercy ,for help , and forgiveness if its yet my fault once again.......... its done pzzd me off this time !
Help.....

*****Now it just does nothing in live view (as stated above) when I want focus peaking and hit the ok button ??? It just stays in regular liveview ??? I did just notice....Im in M mode and with manual focus focuspeaking works as it should.....but when I switch to AF it does go into focuspeaking but only as long as I hold the shutter button part way...... not when I hit ok button......Why only in M mode does it work constantly and stay in focus peaking with OK button?

Now Im rethinking this......I once again believe its a glitch all right......Im thinking that since this is a auto lens its a glitch with me ? Am I expecting a DA lens to act like a manual lens ? Is that why focus peaking isn't cooperating the same way as a Manual lens in M mode with Manual focus ?
I hardly ever shoot in anything but M mode and Manual lenses...

DUHHHHH.....Page #109....users manual.....stupid.... stupid..... ME ! But then it says if AF is selected after focus peaking is selected in MF.... it works too ? But it doesn't....unless you press the shutter part way ???...

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 01-12-2015 at 10:50 AM.
01-12-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't tell for sure, but I believe focus peaking isnt available for auto lenses. Atleast on my k50.
01-12-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I can't tell for sure, but I believe focus peaking isnt available for auto lenses. Atleast on my k50.
It is....but only in Manual focus (MF).....page #109........but it still isn't working the same when switching to auto focus (AF) from MF as stated on page #109 ..?
01-12-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by az1895 Quote
then ok for focus peaking
The OK button is used to adjust the focus area and zoom in on the image. To enable focus peaking, press the menu button, go to the 4th tab of the record menu, and select live view:

Then, check the appropriate checkbox to enable focus peaking:

Focus peaking will work regardless of your lens or AF mode. You were just pressing the wrong button before

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The OK button is used to adjust the focus area and zoom in on the image. To enable focus peaking, press the menu button, go to the 4th tab of the record menu, and select live view:

Then, check the appropriate checkbox to enable focus peaking:

Focus peaking will work regardless of your lens or AF mode. You were just pressing the wrong button before
It is selected just as its supposed to be as you show. And it works fine in Manual focus.
Live view works fine.....but when in Auto focus and I push the OK button to go into peaking and zoom in.......it does nothing ?
01-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #6

The OK button only magnifies if you are in MF. When you are in AF, you need to do the half-press of the shutter button or the back AF button, for about a second after focus is locked to get the magnification. Focus peaking can be done in magnified or normal mode.
01-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pradesian Quote
The OK button only magnifies if you are in MF. When you are in AF, you need to do the half-press of the shutter button or the back AF button, for about a second after focus is locked to get the magnification. Focus peaking can be done in magnified or normal mode.
I guess its right then. I have never used it in anything other than Manual Mode with Manual focus lenses. When the manual said it works in AF I assumed it was exactly the same. But its not the same . It does do just as you said by pushing the shutter release part way.