Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

K-50 SR, and general Operational noise..

Last night when I decided to give the brenizer method a quick test, I ended up scratching my head. My K-50 has been completely silent in operation up until last night, when I noticed a whirring noise after the shot which wasn't present before. It persists for about 1 second. It happens regardless of SR being on or not with the viewfinder. Aperture lever seems OK (moves fine, aperture changes correctly with DOF preview and taking shots), mirror seems to be moving fine.

The noise is accentuated in live view/movies, which was NOT present a few days ago when I took a short video for a friend's birthday. Definitely louder noises, like something internal is hitting something else when I make larger sweeping motions/changes in directions. The sensor cleaning function from day one, has also been VERY loud and somewhat violent, with what sounds like intense sensor shaking for a fraction of a second (friend's canon won't make this noise, and dad's D60 doesn't either... but I think they're not sensor shake for cleaning).

I also suspect that the SR may NOT have functioned at full capacity from day one, because the images I've taken aren't as well stabilized as my previous camera; the LX3. I'm somewhat more stable at shooting than most of my friends, so I tend to shoot a bit deeper into slower shutters, to bump ISO down. Granted I use 35, 50, and 100mm lenses on my pentax, (LX3 being 24-60mm) I can't shoot quite as slow of a shutter.

Example: a shot I've taken slightly after sunset, 1second exposure on the LX3. This one took three attempts.
P1030262: Surnia: Galleries: Digital Photography Review
For my pentax, you can see the Bokeh having decently defined edges, with no evidence of motion blur at 1/13 on my 100mm:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124940981@N07/16209897016/sizes/l
and again, but with 1:2 macro @ 1/30, again 100mm:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124940981@N07/16049945917/sizes/l

In general on the LX3 regardless of zoom range, I'm able to hold at least a 1/4 sec shutter with zero blur. 1/2-1 second is REALLY pushing it, as seen in that image. On the other hand, the k-50 I can generally hold my 50mm down to 1/10, and with multiple shots possibly down to 1/4 or 1/6. My 100mm I can hold down to 1/20 easily, while 1/15 gets a bit shaky.

I do understand that the rule of thumb is 1/focal length to ensure photos aren't blurry. My main concern is if the SR is functioning NORMALLY, or has it been malfunctioning since day one?

Thanks for any help,
Surnia

01-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Surnia Quote
The sensor cleaning function from day one, has also been VERY loud and somewhat violent, with what sounds like intense sensor shaking for a fraction of a second
This is normal for the K-50. Only the flagship models come with the silent ultrasonic system

On the other hand, the k-50 I can generally hold my 50mm down to 1/10, and with multiple shots possibly down to 1/4 or 1/6. My 100mm I can hold down to 1/20 easily, while 1/15 gets a bit shaky.
This is exactly what you should expect.

It's also normal for the SR system to produce faint sounds during everyday use. Since it sounds like you suspect the camera has started acting up all of a sudden, though, please post an audio/video clip of the sound and we'll let you know if it's normal. There should definitely not be a 1-second persistent sound after capturing an image, but you should briefly be able to hear the SR system resetting itself.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Good to know about the dust removal, despite being so vigorous though, I've had a spot of something on the sensor that took a quick puff of air to remove.

maybe a second is too long, took a quick listen again and maybe its closer to half a second, if not a bit shorter (amazing what perception changes when you're thinking something's broken!).

Given the information above then, the SR is operating within normal capacity? Is this the general difference of lens stabilization vs sensor shift? If that's the case I'm relieved, but I'll see if I can grab a video of the new noise soon.
01-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is the brenizer method?

01-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What is the brenizer method?
What's basically just stitching a bunch of images together. However, instead of doing it to facilitate a panorama, you're doing it to simulate a large format shot. You end up with a 4:5 or a 1:1 photo, with the depth of field of a fast prime and the field of view of a fisheye.

It ended up accenting the noise because I was taking a bunch of photos in high speed continuous mode and the sound persisted.

*edit*
terrible example of brenizer, 25 images:

one of the source images:

Last edited by Surnia; 01-21-2015 at 12:51 PM.
01-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Last night when I decided to give the brenizer method a quick test, I ended up scratching my head. My K-50 has been completely silent in operation up until last night, when I noticed a whirring noise after the shot which wasn't present before. It persists for about 1 second.
I can't comment on some of the other symptoms you describe, but I have experienced this whirring sound after shooting.

My K30 does this, and as far as I know, has from day one. At least, I cannot say it definitely did NOT make this sound when I first got it. I don't always notice it, because I don't really hear it unless it is quiet and the camera is up to my eye. I tend to notice it while I'm taking a series of photos, and therefore keeping the camera up to my eye where I can hear the sound. It almost seems to correspond to the camera writing to the SD card, but that doesn't make much sense. Why should writing to an SD card make a physical sound?

It's always puzzled me - but I've just sort of shrugged it off. So I just picked up my K30 to see if I could characterize it a bit. I have the camera set to shoot RAW+.

First, I tried taking a shot with no SD card in the camera - I hear the sound, but it's very brief. At first I didn't think it was doing it at all, but after hearing what follows, I went back and tried again and it's definitely there, but only briefly. So it can't have anything to do with the process of physically writing data to the SD card.

With a card in the camera, if I take a shot, I hear a brief whir. Two shots in succession, and the whir lasts longer. 3 shots, and it lengthens out to a second or so.

Is it the camera's SR responding to the mirror slap?

Next test - I put the camera on a tripod, I turned off SR, and set the shooting mode to bracket so I get 3 shots in a row.

Pointing the camera at the window, I get 3 rapid shots and I hear the whirr afterwards ( I kept my ear near the camera so I could hear it ). Pointing the camera the other way down
the dark(ish) hall, which yielded a 4 second exposure, I hear the following:

1) I hit the shutter and I hear the mirror go up and shutter open followed a prolonged, faint hiss
2) the shutter actuates again ( mirror slaps as well? ), and I hear the (louder) whirr - prolonged this time, I feel I can almost make out faint beeps mixed into the whirring sound
3) the shutter actuates again ( mirror slaps as well? ) and I get the louder whirr again.
4) mirror flops down and I hear silence, and the preview image appears on the display

So I think for single shots, the whirr is so brief you don't notice it, especially if you're not holding the camera up to your eye. When you shoot a series of photos, the whirr is longer, and because you're holding the camera up to your eye, you are much more likely to notice it.

Based on my tests above, what I think is happening is that the whirring sound is electronic interference being picked up and broadcast by the camera's internal speaker. Perhaps there's some quirk in the design that results in the speaker being on briefly after
you take your shot, or while the file is being written to the card. Because the CPU is working to process your image and write it to the SD card, and drawing current from the battery, etc, there may be a burst of interference. Or perhaps it has something to do with the sensor. Lots of electronics packed together into a very tiny space inside the camera probably means that it's fairly easy for the audio circuit to pick up interference from other nearby circuits.

Rapidly shooting a series of photos fills up the buffer and results in the CPU having to "churn" a bit to catch up and get everything written to the card. This would explain why the duration of the whirring noise gets longer after you shoot several shots
in a row.

Then I tried to switch the camera to just store JPG, with resolution at 5M and lowest quality. It seemed like it was harder to get the prolonged whirr after shooting several shots, but it was hard to tell. 3 quick shots seemed to yield a whirr that was only slightly longer than a single shot.

Think of it as a "feature". If you're holding the camera up to your eye and blazing away, you have an audio cue as to how the camera is doing WRT clearing the buffer and writing your files to the SD card
09-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #7

Strange Noise after taking shots in my new K50

I just updated from my antique K-1000 from 25 years ago. The first few hundred pictures I never noticed any noise from the camera after I took a picture. After playing around with all the features and doing a cleaning of the photosensor I started to notice a slight buzzing after every picture. I have enabled and disabled everything I could think of. I went up to the local WalMart that sells the K-50 and tried with the display model. After taking 20+ pictures the camera was silent after each shot. I adid the cleaning of the photosensor and the same thing started to happen. Sorry if I am terminology challenged. Like I said I have been using my old 35mm SLR and have taken well over 10,000 pictures in its life. The camera is still going strong and the nice thing about the K-50 is the lens from my antique works (except the autofocus) perfect. I have taken several hundred more shots since I started to hear the noise. It seems like it got slightly louder than the day it started now seems to have settled down. From everything I have read this noise is normal. The strange thing is on 2 separate cameras the sound started after a cleaning of the pickup sensor was done? Seems strange to me.

Any help would be appreciated,
Dave