Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K-50 and AV mode

I have always shoot my dslr in auto or P mode. Last year I bought a K-50 and I took some very good pictures but it's still a hit and miss and a lot of Photoshop. I was searching around convinced that I needed to shoot in manual mode. I have gotten two of the three points of the triangle down but the other still eludes me. I have the aperture and the iso down fairly good. While I was searching around for a tutorial on shooting in manual mode I ran across a guy that said to shoot in AV mode and the camera will figure out the rest. I took a couple of picture and was so so happy with then I took a family portrait and took 4-5 pictures while dialing it in, I came up with the best shoot I could have taken with the lens I have. I have a 18-250 Sigma 3.5-6.3 lens. I ran the lens down to 3.5 fs and took the picture without a flash. Wow I printed it and I couldn't believe the detail in it. I also took some flash pictures but the seemed to wash out the faces, btw these pictures were inside. I have found a new excitement for taking pictures and I'm looking forward to a 2 month trip to the east coast.
I will think that I need to get a lens with a 1.2 fs to take in low light but that will have to wait for now

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always use the AV mode. That way you can pick your f stop with the wheel and if you have to, bump up the ISO a bit. I get quite satisfactory results at 3200 ISO even quite useable at 6400 ISO in low light with my K5. Just remember, the larger the lens opening, the shallower the depth of field and the higher the ISO, the more noise.
01-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My camera stays in AV mode 90% of the time, at least. Manual certainly has its uses (as does TAv), but most of the time I'm most concerned about controlling depth of field.
01-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

You can get really good shots at iso 1600 & decent iso 3200 shots out if the K-50, but only out of a processed dng file. The in camera jpeg seems to wash out all the detail at iso 800 & above.

Practice makes perfect. If not perfect, at least a lot better. I use manual most of the time. I like to control everything. Just keep shooting & you'll get better.

01-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm shooting in AV mode no matter were I put my f stops the shutter speed adjust to that. If I need more light then I have to adjust the ISO higher then. The f stop just adjust the depth of field.
01-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The aperture is important for two things; amount of light that can come in (look at it like a water tap that you open a little or a lot) and DOF. But I think you have the idea.

Further you're right, in Av camera will adjust shutter speed based on aperture and you need to adjust ISO if shutter speeds get too slow (there is a longest time that you can hold a camera steady) or too fast.(there is a camera limit on the shortest shutter speed).
01-25-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Or you can put it on Auto ISO and let the camera adjust that, too.

01-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Or you can put it on Auto ISO and let the camera adjust that, too.
Yep, TAv mode may suit here.