Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
01-21-2015, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ldj4549 Quote
Ok, I think this warrants a challenge. If there is anyone out there doing paid "pro" work, I challenge them to take a K-50, or even a K-5 iteration or K-3 on a paid job and see if they can pull it off vs. their typical pro equipment. A true proof of concept test...if anyone who makes money from this is up for the challenge that is (and I totally understand if your not). I personally am not a pro but I have been paid for a couple of shoots with my K-7 and K-5 as side jobs from my 9-5, and I had happy customers. But again, I am not a professional, and the expectations were probably not as high as my anxiety. Just at thought.
I do not understand your 'challenge'? My "typical pro equipment" is a k-3 with k-5IIs as backup body, DA 12-24, DA*16-50, DA*60-250, F 50 f/1.4, and a DA 70mm Limited.
"Proof of concept"?? What are you talking about?

There are a fair number of folks here who make a living with Pentax gear. What is the point of this challenge? Are you assuming Pentax is not "Pro" quality and anyone actually making money uses some other brand?

Here is my gallery if you disbelieve: Stock Photos, Royalty-Free Images and Vectors - Shutterstock

01-21-2015, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #17
Brooke Meyer

Its no challenge. I've used a K10, pair of k20's, pair of K5's and now K5Iis bodies for portraits and events for years. It's not the gear, its the photographer. I'd have to take some time to learn another brand but I'd still shoot the same way.
01-21-2015, 10:39 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

I landed a magazine cover with the Q.
01-21-2015, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I landed a magazine cover with the Q.

01-21-2015, 10:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Nice photos!
01-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ejhc11 Quote
Just curious if any users shoot with the K50 to make money big or small jobs? I don't do it - not experienced enough but I'm really impressed with the camera. If the K50 is really this nice how much better are the K5IIs and K3s?
I have a friend Jason Pavalonis that has used cameras a lot less than the K50 to make good $$$
I believe he started out with less than the K10 like the KR or KX and just a few years ago was doing good. When I met him it was a K10 or K20 he was using. He now shoots the flagship of Pentax. So if your question is "Can a Pro make $$ with this camera"?..... Absolutely Positively.......YES !

---------- Post added 01-22-15 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ldj4549 Quote
Ok, I think this warrants a challenge. If there is anyone out there doing paid "pro" work, I challenge them to take a K-50, or even a K-5 iteration or K-3 on a paid job and see if they can pull it off vs. their typical pro equipment. A true proof of concept test...if anyone who makes money from this is up for the challenge that is (and I totally understand if your not). I personally am not a pro but I have been paid for a couple of shoots with my K-7 and K-5 as side jobs from my 9-5, and I had happy customers. But again, I am not a professional, and the expectations were probably not as high as my anxiety. Just at thought.
I just don't get the "Challenge" ? What do you mean by typical "Pro" equipment ? Any DSLR made within the last 6 or 7 years is very capable of that ! Believe me....There are PLENTY of Pentax cameras used by Pro Photographers. And quite a few of them don't just make $$.....They make ALOT of $$ !
I think you need to have a lot more faith in anything from the K10 and up.
Think about this....Just "WHAT" were the "PRO's" using 5 , 6 , 7 , years ago that shot Pentax ?
01-22-2015, 12:28 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd just like to know if anyone's had the guts to show up for pro assignments with a K50 on pink an teal, or some other quirky color combo!

01-22-2015, 04:38 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatridger Quote
I'd just like to know if anyone's had the guts to show up for pro assignments with a K50 on pink an teal, or some other quirky color combo!
Google 'Digital Rev Cheap Camera Challenge' for pros showing it's all about technique and artistic sensibility, not hardware. :-)
01-22-2015, 05:45 AM   #24
Forum Member

I use my K-50 at work. Does that count? If the product belonged to me I could make a very tedious gallery of wiring harnesses and radio cabinets.
01-22-2015, 05:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

We use the Pentax K3, DA*200, DA*50-135, DA*55 and Tamron 17-50 for all of our Fashion Videos:
Before the K3 we used the K-01 for all of our Vids...

Best Wishes,
Ben

Last edited by Parallax; 01-22-2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Personal links
01-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I dont know if this counts ? A young Japanese lady that's works as a Fashion Photographer in Japan has a plethora of candy colored Cameras. I am trying to find the link.
I DO see your point though on this one. Bur remember in other countries style and professional looks are not always the same as they are here.
01-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

MK raises hand. Darned straight I do! My one K-30 is bright metallic ruby red and has been blinged with resin and Austrian crystals. I use it all the time and people LOVE it. They like my white one too but the ruby red one is the one I get the most compliments on. My Pentax Bling thread. K5II will likely be getting some sparkly things too, as soon as I figure out what I want to do with it. :P Right now I'm too sick still to care. I'm not up to doing much. I've got the Neverending Flu...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/283769-misc-mah-pentax-bling-things.html

I actually find the bling very helpful in terms of my grip and finding buttons easily. The bling on the shutter button works out very well actually, rather like those fancy schmancy button covers that they make for some cameras that cost $20 that are supposed to make using the shutter button more comfortable. I'm probably going to be redoing Skully's bling soon. I like the skull stickers but the bling baubles I used keep falling off. Those are just crap. I didn't get them at Micheal's. I got it at a party store near here. I should have gotten something better it looks like. It's not nearly as good as the resin baubles I got from Micheal's. Those stick and stay, these definitely don't. The whole thing definitely needs to be redone...

Last edited by magkelly; 01-22-2015 at 07:42 AM.
01-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I have used a 10MP Sony A200 DSLR a few times for weddings & engagement photos. I was able to pull out some pretty awesome pictures out of it. The clients were pretty impressed & quite happy. Most of the shots were taken with high speed primes & zooms, tough.

I can't see why a 16MP K-50 can't do even better.

Basically, it all comes down to the photographer. Give someone that knows how to compose a picture a lousy camera & watch them wow you. Give someone that can't compose a picture a Nikon D810 & watch them take a very lousy, but well detailed picture. Catch my drift?

But yeah. The camera used at gigs should be somewhat decent. As long as the pictures are sharp & clear, what more can you possible ask for?
01-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #29

Original Poster
Hi all,

I'm just a fan of my K50 and find it to be such a great camera that I wanted to know if others felt the same way, and that if people used it for more than snap shots.

Thank you all for chiming in - oh I actually have two K50s I picked up a used one from a forum member here with only 2000 shots at a deal!
01-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ejhc11 Quote

I'm just a fan of my K50 and find it to be such a great camera that I wanted to know if others felt the same way, and that if people used it for more than snap shots.
We live in great times for buyers, Ejhc.

The K-50 these days is the entry level Pentax option for traditional DSLR buyers, but there are pros who publicise that they use similar 16Mp APSC Fujis and even micro 4/3 Olympus/Panasonic- at least for some shots.