Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 11:17 AM   #31

I'd say start with a prime. Zoom sort of spoils people with composition and tends to generate a very... "average" look to them. Also a lot of people tend to use cameras in far darker scenarios than most kits can handle well, the faster primes alleviate a majority of this problem.

My girlfriend purchased a Canon kit with 18-55 + 70-300mm kit, and she loved it. great IQ for what she wanted, but they had a very generic look to them. Composition from her shots was alright, but you could tell she sort of plunked down wherever, and just fiddled with zoom to get the framing she wanted. Not to say this is a bad thing, but you think about positioning, lighting, etc. far less.

Gave her a F1.8 50mm prime come christmas, and it is honestly a permanent fixture to her camera now. Her compositions and lighting are far better (well, more to her artistic tastes) a majority of the shots come out great. Even when she hands it to friends on outings and they take the group shots, they come out great.

After using a prime for a while, I'd say that would be a good time for her to invest in zooms, or more primes. If holding to the pentax route, go with an AF capable lens (more than likely she'll be doing shots that have some movement, due to how people in general use cameras) in either the F1.8 50mm, or F2.4 35mm variants. 35mm will be great for portraits + landscape; 50mm will be great for portraiture + panoramas when paired with pano software.

01-29-2015, 06:54 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The photo in question was taken in Sorrento, south of Melbourne, where my daughter Catherine is the leading lady in a cabaret show there. It is fairly burlesque in style. The acrobat (Rachel) and her partner in this routine (Dan) have performed with Cirque Du Soleil in Las Vegas for seven years. It is truly breathtaking.

Some photos of Catherine from the same show, also with the K-S1, this time all manual with the K135/2.5
Sounds like a good show. I guess I should have recognized the Cirque Du Soleil quality there.

My favorite spots in my brief 18 days there (I was working 5 days in Sydney and 5 days in Melbourne) were Noosa on the Sunshine coast, and the beautiful beaches west of Melbourne. Got some good shots there with my K100D Super and FA24-90 I had at the time.

BTW, good shots of your daughter with your inferior K-S1!
01-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
ok your from LA?? here guns are illegal to own,except for hunting with a license..nice n quiet like I like it.. had enough of US gun mania as from Chicago mate...
so paintball duel at noon then!??
Sorry, no, a team of 8 of us are shooting you straight away without so much as a blindfold - especially if you're going to refer to the best parts of California's South Coast as "LA!" We'll take you out in the hills behind our ocean-community homes. No one will find you for hours. Hours!
02-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
So are you selling these for a living
No. My job pays much better than that

QuoteQuote:
is the body only plastic or metal underneath,lens mount ?
It feels pretty solid, so I suspect it has a metal skeleton. The lens mount is most certainly metal.

QuoteQuote:
have you tried heavy lenses on it? balance etc...
I used the K135/2.5 every day for a month. Not massive, but fairly hefty. Handling on the K-S1 was just fine.

QuoteQuote:
by loud shutter,will it distract for candid portaits??
I haven't used the K-30, but I guess it's probably in the same ball-park. Not as loud as some of the full frame DSLR's I have had going off near me.

02-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No. My job pays much better than that

It feels pretty solid, so I suspect it has a metal skeleton. The lens mount is most certainly metal.

I used the K135/2.5 every day for a month. Not massive, but fairly hefty. Handling on the K-S1 was just fine.

I haven't used the K-30, but I guess it's probably in the same ball-park. Not as loud as some of the full frame DSLR's I have had going off near me.
Thanks Sandy..wish I could actually see/try one somewhere..