Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-31-2015, 04:48 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have seen the same issue with my K-30. Sometimes the shots come out underexposed or just plain black. The aperture closes down to the minimum the lens is capable of after metering. This could be f/22 or even smaller. Some of my lenses seem more prone than others to provoke this behavior. My D-FA 50mm can do this all day long, especially with the camera pointed straight down. Other lenses do it only every so often. You can tell when this happen(s) because the shutter and mirror box will make a very unique sound. It's hard to describe. Instead of a "clack" you get a weird sounding "shnick". When I hear this sound I just fire the shutter again before I lose my focus and composition.

My K-30 has "been there, done that" and serve me well. I'm past the warranty so I'll let the camera work itself to oblivion. Maybe sell it for parts to just give it away at some point.

01-31-2015, 05:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naevus Quote
Hi Adam, here's one i took while testing.
Does your K5ii give the same metering for the same scene? If it does, then you can reasonably assume the metering function is working correctly meaning some other mechanical fault is causing this.
02-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Google "pentax k-30 exposure problems" and you'll find that unfortunately the K-30 have some problems in this regard.... My camera started with a few under exposed shots here and there, and got worse as time went by, had to send it in for a complete mirror box replacement....
QuoteOriginally posted by Naevus Quote
Thanks Jatrax, tried it with a couple of my lenses (i also use Pentax) and it was still doing it.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 06:13 PM ----------

How much did that cost you? We think this one is out of warranty.
There have been several other reports of mirror/aperture controller issues with both the K-30 and the K-50. If I remember correctly, the repair costs were in the $200 - $300 (USD) range.

Steve
02-17-2015, 05:51 AM   #19
Forum Member

Just had mine repaired

Just had mine repaired in Australia for what seems to be a common issue with the K-30.

Camera was about 2 years old, and had begun intermittently underexposing, usually the first shot in a sequence of shots. I could take two shots in succession with exactly the same EXIF data, but the first one would be underexposed by a couple of stops because the aperture had stopped down further than it should have. I first noticed it happening with a Tamron 70-200/2.8 which has quite a strong aperture spring, but a few months later it started happening with other lenses too, and more frequently.

Anyway, the repair cost $180 Australian to replace the aperture control block. Seems to be working OK now - hopefully won't go wrong again...

02-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #20
Forum Member

I had this happen, took to a local shop in Dallas, they repaired it, don't think it took any parts - issues was aperture-control magnet or arm or something had accumulated some dirt (I use primes and switch lenses aLOT). They said it was an issue w/this model. Fortunately for $169 (i think) they fixed and cleaned the sensor in-house in < a week. My credit-card's extended warranty reembursed me! I suspect in a cpl years it'll need it again. Symptoms were as you - lens stopped down to max aperture resulting in very dark shots, particularly when 1st turning on the camera, got gradually worse.