Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

K-30 taking dark shots

Hi all,

Dad asked me to see if I could fix his K-30.

It is under exposing every shot, including when it has the flash on as if it were manually set to about a -5 adjustment.
Even putting it on full auto mode will still produce these dark shots. If I go to live view mode it shows a normal view on the viewfinder, but as soon as you hit the shutter button it darkens again.

I have done a factory reset twice and this has not fixed it.

Apparently the camera locked up last time he put the SD card back in after downloading the pictures from it.

It is on firmware version 1.00

Anyone got any suggestions on how to possibly fix this?

Thanks

01-30-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could you attach a photo straight out of camera? It would be interesting to see the metadata. There could be a problem with the shutter, or simply a bad setting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-30-2015, 11:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Adam, here's one i took while testing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-30-2015, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

First of all you are several firmware updates behind.
Go here and install the latest
Latest K-30 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Also, have you tried another SD card??

01-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Could you attach a photo straight out of camera? It would be interesting to see the metadata. There could be a problem with the shutter, or simply a bad setting.
I have been trying to work out what he might have changed in settings, but all the ones I could think of were set to default. I've checked the ones that were obvious to me: ISO, exposure correction (+/-), bracketing. I would have thought most were overridden when i out it in full manual?

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 05:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
First of all you are several firmware updates behind.
Go here and install the latest
Latest K-30 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Also, have you tried another SD card??
RE: firmware, yep. got to do that for him (don't ask me what version my k5ii is on :P)

I have tried a second SD card, and that didn't make any difference.

Last edited by Naevus; 01-30-2015 at 11:23 PM.
01-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naevus Quote
Hi all,

Dad asked me to see if I could fix his K-30.

It is under exposing every shot, including when it has the flash on as if it were manually set to about a -5 adjustment.
Even putting it on full auto mode will still produce these dark shots. If I go to live view mode it shows a normal view on the viewfinder, but as soon as you hit the shutter button it darkens again.

I have done a factory reset twice and this has not fixed it.

Apparently the camera locked up last time he put the SD card back in after downloading the pictures from it.

It is on firmware version 1.00

Anyone got any suggestions on how to possibly fix this?

Thanks
Google "pentax k-30 exposure problems" and you'll find that unfortunately the K-30 have some problems in this regard.... My camera started with a few under exposed shots here and there, and got worse as time went by, had to send it in for a complete mirror box replacement....
01-30-2015, 11:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ouch

01-30-2015, 11:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would check with a different lens just to eliminate that possibility.
01-31-2015, 12:12 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I would check with a different lens just to eliminate that possibility.
Thanks Jatrax, tried it with a couple of my lenses (i also use Pentax) and it was still doing it.

---------- Post added 01-31-15 at 06:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Google "pentax k-30 exposure problems" and you'll find that unfortunately the K-30 have some problems in this regard.... My camera started with a few under exposed shots here and there, and got worse as time went by, had to send it in for a complete mirror box replacement....
How much did that cost you? We think this one is out of warranty.
01-31-2015, 12:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

My repair was a warranty job, so I really have no idea, but I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that....
01-31-2015, 12:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Luckily for you the CR Kennedy (Aus Pentax distribution and service) HQ is in Melbourne.
01-31-2015, 06:46 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reset to factory defaults?
If you set exposure compensation to plus 5 does it help?
01-31-2015, 07:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that if you purchased the camera with a Credit Card, some cards will "double" your manufacturer's warranty ( up to a maximum of 1 extra year ).

You have to pay for the repair, and then fight with the CC company to get them to reimburse you, but it might be worth a try.

( at least, I have that feature on some of my CC's here in Canada )
01-31-2015, 07:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Mine was doing the same thing. It needed a diaphragm control block. Fortunately, I had purchased the two year extended warranty, so I don't know how much it cost. Precision Camera had it for two months, but it's working great now. It's a common problem with the K-30 and I've seen a few people posting that the K-50's have the same issue.
01-31-2015, 04:16 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Reset to factory defaults?
If you set exposure compensation to plus 5 does it help?
A reset didn't do anything unfortunately.

When i put it to +5 it gets a shot, but still quite dark.

---------- Post added 02-01-15 at 10:20 AM ----------

We did a firmware update this morning, and then tried a few things. It's still doing the same thing unfortunately.

I did notice that when it was metering with the lens cap on it knew it was dark, so i tried seeing what it would do if i pointed it at a well lit area. It showed on the meter as underexposed by 3 and then flicked to normal.

In contrast my k5ii is metering normally when pointed at the same location, so it looks like it is something to do with whatever the camera does to meter??

Anyhow, it is going to be off to the shop for a fix i think, well beyond my capability.

Thanks for the ideas and information everyone.