Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #31

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Any progress on the issue past getting it video captured for the repair facility?
I did get video evidence and it was emailed to Pentax,,,they contacted me after I had to email them two more times, as they were sort of ignoring me and my new camera issue. Pentax sent me a prepaid label for this shipping. I'll be very interested in seeing if they swap it out for a new one or try and fix this one now!! The body was sent BACK out to Precision Camera for repair number two, last Tuesday,,,can't wait to see the outcome - I'll keep you all informed as soon as I hear back!

03-20-2015, 11:44 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sounds like things are going well then.
03-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #33

Original Poster
Well, the camera came home today and is STILL not working in cold temps! I am so sad. They said in the repair report that, it was upgraded with new firmware, and reset to factory defaults and settings. Oh and they cleaned it both inside and out again. How nice of them! I just contacted Ricoh to see what they will now do for me,,,
03-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GAjeeperGirl Quote
Well, the camera came home today and is STILL not working in cold temps! I am so sad. They said in the repair report that, it was upgraded with new firmware, and reset to factory defaults and settings. Oh and they cleaned it both inside and out again. How nice of them! I just contacted Ricoh to see what they will now do for me,,,
Truly odd: I was out today for a couple of hours at -5C hiking with K-50 totally exposed with zero problems. Could there be moisture anywhere?

03-25-2015, 09:02 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Truly odd: I was out today for a couple of hours at -5C hiking with K-50 totally exposed with zero problems. Could there be moisture anywhere?

Even if the cause is moisture, there is not meant to be moisture, and so long as the camera has only been exposed to design rated condition that cannot be used to assert responsibility shifting to the owner since then the problem is a design/manufacturing fault that allows deleterious amounts of water to enter.
03-25-2015, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter

This is rather disappointing to hear. Rather than trying to emulate the conditions to give it a thorough test they let the beancounters do the talking and cheaped out on the repair. Furthermore the question begs to be asked... What exactly did they think changing the firmware would do to solve a cold temperature problem? If anything the temperature might be shrinking a component causing something to make the mirror catch and stick or the shutter release button to malfunction, etc. The problem is most certainly physical. Firmware would have no bearing on that. At this point being as repair facility now has 2 strikes, Ricoh should owe you a new K-50 at the least, or a K-S2 if they're generous, but unfortunately you can bet the beancounters will start balking the second a replacement is mentioned or even another trip to the repair facility.
03-26-2015, 11:42 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
This is rather disappointing to hear. Rather than trying to emulate the conditions to give it a thorough test they let the beancounters do the talking and cheaped out on the repair. Furthermore the question begs to be asked... What exactly did they think changing the firmware would do to solve a cold temperature problem? If anything the temperature might be shrinking a component causing something to make the mirror catch and stick or the shutter release button to malfunction, etc. The problem is most certainly physical. Firmware would have no bearing on that. At this point being as repair facility now has 2 strikes, Ricoh should owe you a new K-50 at the least, or a K-S2 if they're generous, but unfortunately you can bet the beancounters will start balking the second a replacement is mentioned or even another trip to the repair facility.
I told them that I want a new camera now, that nothing else will make up for the time lost and the shoddy 'repairs' that I have been offered. It's a camera for goodness sakes! If I don't have gear that works, how am I supposed to get the shots or even TRUST that I will have working gear FOR the shots! What happens if for some reason it decides to act up over WARM temps too! As it is, I must now wait for a 40+ degree day to even bring it outside!!! I bought and paid for a new camera, I certainly expect it to work like one for sure! I'm very disappointed for sure!!!
I'll let everybody know what happens!!!

---------- Post added 03-26-15 at 02:46 PM ----------

Thankfully my K-3 runs like a DREAM!!! What a work horse that beauty is!
I gotta tell ya, though, if I had ran into this problem with my K-50 BEFORE I ever purchased my K-3,,,and was thinking about an upgrade, I would have ran as far away from Pentax as possible! I seriously would have never given them a second chance if this was a "beginning/new camera" experience with this brand! I'm just happy that I'm so pleased with my K-3!!!
03-26-2015, 07:03 PM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter

It really does stink that you got a bad unit, that's for sure. It's certainly not the norm with the K-50 as myself and others have attested. However I wholeheartedly agree that the repair facility let you down bigtime. Up here in PA it is not uncommon to have days in the single digits or to go below zero in the winter, and the K-50 has worked flawlessly up here so far. You'd think the warmer temperatures you have down in GA wouldn't cause any issues. Seriously, manufacturers these days need to invest a bit more into QA testing of things before they hit the stores.... it's a bit of a disgrace.

03-27-2015, 10:28 AM   #39

Original Poster
I do believe that his is in fact some sort of rare anomaly for Pentax. But it is upsetting about the service, not taking me seriously, and only patronizing my complaints with a "yeah right attitude". Again, my K-3 is nothing short of astonishing,,,and I would have been very sad if I had only had this experience with a Pentax camera to go by (this meaning my k-50 problem), I would have never thought twice about going to a different brand before I attempted to upgrade to a better model. In other words, If I were a 1st time buyer of a K-50 that had these issues, and I was as unhappy as I am now with my purchase - I would totally go to a different brand, before I tried any of their cameras again, and would have had a terrible taste in my mouth over this brand.
I'm extremely happy with my K-3 so at least I went the really good route first so I did get to experience the Pentax Lines!
04-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #40

Original Poster
Well good news! Yesterday I received a call direct from Pentax/Ricoh and they are going to replace the K-50 for me! The man on the phone was very understanding and helpful, and he apologized for the problems. He said that he was a bit embarrassed that it has taken this long to be resolved. He then sent me a prepaid label to mail my K-50 body out to him, he told me to keep all of the items that came with the body, so I'll even have an extra battery and body cap.
In my note back to him, I did ask if it was possible to upgrade to a K-5 that I'd be willing to pay the extra $$ associated with the swap out of the old one. So, I'm HOPING that I can do an upgrade of the body in the swap. I'd so much rather have a body that I can use in my normal manner by having a battery grip on it when using it, because the K-50 does not allow for a battery grip.
So, fingers crossed,,,,maybe I can get a newer model body - but even if I cannot, at least this crazy nightmare of a cold weather issue will FINALLY be over and done with! Feeling accomplished for sure!
04-03-2015, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter

Good to hear you're making some progress on this.
04-03-2015, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter

Yes, good. Seems you got it elevated to a person who has much more authority.
04-10-2015, 11:58 AM   #43
Site Supporter

Should be about time for an update. Did you get your replacement camera yet?
04-15-2015, 03:14 AM   #44

Original Poster
BRAND NEW K-50 arrived yesterday!!

Yippee!!! Well it arrived yesterday fresh and new in a brand new box, all shiny and pretty! I am SO glad that this is over now, and I can go back to loving my Pentax cameras! Hopefully, I'll never have an issue like I did with the old one!
04-15-2015, 03:36 AM   #45
Site Supporter

hope it is just what it should be - like most of them are.