Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-17-2015, 06:08 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jarda-wien Quote
The camera started acting weirdly after about half a year of light usage. It seemed that the mirror would lock up from time to time (albeit not very often).
The camera couldn't focus at all and the viewfinder was very dim. Strangely, live view seemed ok.
I got it repaired. Service said that the aperture mechanism got broken and confused the electronics.
This is a known issue with both the K-30 and K-50 and has nothing to do with the age of the lenses mounted. There is a common fault with the aperture control mechanism.

That being said, it is possible to munge the aperture actuator by mounting a defective lens. I know...I've done it...with a new lens fresh from the (not Pentax) factory. That is why I always do a thorough inspection of all lenses I purchase (both new and used) to check for any obvious damage and/or fault in construction.

Steve

02-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #17
Forum Member

"You should use only "Genuine certified Pentax lenses" specifically designed for your camera to avoid voiding your warranty!" BRUHAHAHAHA! Sorry, couldn't resist!
02-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #18

Original Poster
Hello all,

sorry for taking so long to react.

I can't seem to find time to devote to photography:-(

I decided to not use any of the older lenses until I can properly assess them. I was fortunate enough to have the camera repaired in warranty, so all went well.

Thank you all for your comments.

---------- Post added 02-25-15 at 08:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kodai84 Quote
"You should use only "Genuine certified Pentax lenses" specifically designed for your camera to avoid voiding your warranty!" BRUHAHAHAHA! Sorry, couldn't resist!
LOL -> couldn't resist:-P

---------- Post added 02-25-15 at 08:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is a known issue with both the K-30 and K-50 and has nothing to do with the age of the lenses mounted. There is a common fault with the aperture control mechanism.

That being said, it is possible to munge the aperture actuator by mounting a defective lens. I know...I've done it...with a new lens fresh from the (not Pentax) factory. That is why I always do a thorough inspection of all lenses I purchase (both new and used) to check for any obvious damage and/or fault in construction.

Steve
I am not sure that if this is a knows issue that it would only affect the K-30 and 50. I specifically asked the serviceman if the aperture mechanism on this midrange Pentax is any weaker than that of the higher models. He mentioned that they share the same mechanism...
02-25-2015, 02:11 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I am not sure that if this is a knows issue that it would only affect the K-30 and 50. I specifically asked the serviceman if the aperture mechanism on this midrange Pentax is any weaker than that of the higher models. He mentioned that they share the same mechanism...
There are plenty threads about the K30/K50 where this has happened but I can't recall that I've seen threads for other models for this specific issue (might be me). But all models (after the K7 ??) seem to have some issue somewhere; mirror flop, lock up, ...

What I can't understand is that a known issue in the K30 continues to live in the K50; it should have been fixed.

There was a reason why the below sticker existed. Japanese quality was (long ago) (considered to be) crap and this was an attempt to improve Japan's image for production quality.

I'm sick and tired of reading about issues on any make/model. QC in the whole camera industry seems to suck big time.

03-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I would think that if you have a sticky (or stiff) aperture blades in the lens, it can wear down the aperture lever on the camera. I am referring to k-mount only, m42 lenses does not have same mechanism, therefore, does not apply.

A stuck aperture pin can result in over exposure when the lens does not close down before the shutter does it thing.
I had this problem with a 28-200mm Pentax lens, I got way over exposed pictures, stopping the lens down further or increasing the shutter speed did not help.
Later I noticed the exposure was ok with the lens wide open, than I found the lazy aperture lever.

dean45
03-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dean45 Quote
A stuck aperture pin can result in over exposure when the lens does not close down before the shutter does it thing.
I had this problem with a 28-200mm Pentax lens, I got way over exposed pictures, stopping the lens down further or increasing the shutter speed did not help.
Later I noticed the exposure was ok with the lens wide open, than I found the lazy aperture lever.

dean45
Not when you use stop down metering... it just would not stop down (or accurately). That's beside the point as the OP's question is referring to whether old or sticky lenses can break new bodies.
02-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Old thread, yes, but I have some information to add. I've had a good time with my wonderful K-30 for the last couple of years and this past week a friend gave me an old Sigma 28mm Macro lens with a Pentax K mount. I wanted to take it out for a few test shots this past weekend so I nabbed a few pictures with my 35mm 2.4 for comparison, then mounted the Sigma lens. The camera refused to take pictures. Put my 35mm back on. Nothing.

So I made a quick comparison of the depth of the shroud and aperture arm - my heart sank. I may have to send the camera away for repair.
I remember an issue with an old Vivitar lens on my K200, but the shroud on the Vivitar was obviously very elongated, though it was not as 'tall' as on this Sigma. I didn't expect this to be a problem with such a compact shroud, but the mechanism protruded just a bit too deep into my camera.

I've had a lot of fun with some old Takumar lenses with my K200, but only Pentax glass for me from now on... Pentax KA or newer.

02-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know what the problem was with your Sigma, but you don't have to limit yourself to "Pentax KA or newer". I love the old K series and have used them on my K-1 and K200.
02-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Old thread, yes, but I have some information to add. I've had a good time with my wonderful K-30 for the last couple of years and this past week a friend gave me an old Sigma 28mm Macro lens with a Pentax K mount. I wanted to take it out for a few test shots this past weekend so I nabbed a few pictures with my 35mm 2.4 for comparison, then mounted the Sigma lens. The camera refused to take pictures. Put my 35mm back on. Nothing.

So I made a quick comparison of the depth of the shroud and aperture arm - my heart sank. I may have to send the camera away for repair.
I remember an issue with an old Vivitar lens on my K200, but the shroud on the Vivitar was obviously very elongated, though it was not as 'tall' as on this Sigma. I didn't expect this to be a problem with such a compact shroud, but the mechanism protruded just a bit too deep into my camera.

I've had a lot of fun with some old Takumar lenses with my K200, but only Pentax glass for me from now on... Pentax KA or newer.
First - what could it have hit? Usually the deep shields run into things like the SDM contacts or something and won't mount without surgery.
02-04-2019, 11:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
First - what could it have hit? Usually the deep shields run into things like the SDM contacts or something and won't mount without surgery.
What he said - I've had several lenses where the raised part hits the SDM contacts within the body and cannot be mounted. I've never run into one which can be mounted but damages the camera.

What was the lens? The Sigma mini-wide 28mm f/2.8?
02-06-2019, 08:49 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

It was the lens. I've been shooting Pentax for more than 40 years. I've had several Pentax digitals starting with the K100. I've come across two lenses that would not fit the digital body, one was the Vivitar 28mm noted above with an elongated shroud which was obvious an issue. The other was this Sigma. It appeared normal, matched up with my camera body OK, but did require a tiny bit extra to mount. I thought it was the electrical contacts or release lever spring & mechanism, and it seemed minor, but apparently the aperture arm/shroud was the issue.

You gentlemen have given me an idea or two on how to potentially repair this damage myself, however. I'll let you know how it goes.

On the KA lenses, I shot manual with a K1000 film camera for many years; a few decades, in fact. The first time I shot an auto aperture SLR was the K100 digital and I loved it. From that day I've weened myself from my collection of manual lenses and grown to appreciate the auto lenses enough to know I may never go back to manual if I don't have to.

Last edited by TourDeForce; 02-06-2019 at 09:07 AM.