Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

k-50 operation noise?

Hi guys and girls

I am actually trying to get more info on the K-50 - I already have a K-m but it has some issues. The camera takes ages to accept new batteries and I have to take them out/put them back multiple times before the camera says that I now have a full battery again ... and then the batteries only last for about 40 shots before being depleted again. So I am looking at upgrading to the K-50. I must admit I had been drooling over someone else's Canon T3i and how quiet it is. I run a lodge here in Malawi and we get loads of guests through, with basic to very fancy cameras. I have noticed how quiet the Canon's are. My K-m is REALLY noisy and clunky when focussing - As I photograph wildlife and do lots of macro (bugs etc), the silent factor is pretty high. I have read quite a few reviews for the Pentax k-50 and I am really tempted but many have mentioned the noisy kit lens - What I want to know is:
- how noisy is noisy, compared to my K-m for example
- will my Sigma 70-300mm lens (bought about 4 years ago) be equally noisy?

Thanks

02-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any lens with screwdrive autofocus will be noisy. If you want quiet operation, you should get a lens with silent AF (SDM, DC, or HSM).

If you can afford it, I'd recommend this kit:
Pentax K-S2 DSLR Camera with 18-50mm Lens (Black) 11599 B&H

If you still want to go with the K-50, you could get either of these lenses to replace your existing kit lens:
Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 Contemporary Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get this,
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/288451-red-pentax-k-50-366-a.html
Plus a used 18-135. Look for sdm, HSM, or dc lenses for quiet focus.
02-11-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Ditto. All screwdrive lenses are going to be kind of noisy. All 4 of my lenses are noisy. The 35, 50, 18-55, & 50-200. Manually focusing makes them virtually silent, though. It does however defeat the whole autofocus convenience.

02-11-2015, 05:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moonkaye Quote
As I photograph wildlife and do lots of macro (bugs etc), the silent factor is pretty high.
If you're shooting macro, you probably shouldn't be using autofocus all that much anyways. I shoot bugs ( butterflies mostly ) all the time and the screw-drive autofocus is not an issue for me. It might be for other wildlife.

I use the K30 now, which is almost identical to the K50. The shutter is not the quietest there is, but I was using the K200D before, and it was even louder.

If you want a quiet shutter, try to locate a discounted K5ii or K5iis, or go for the K3. I don't know if anyone has heard the new K-S2 shutter yet.

K3's were heavily discounted not too long ago. When Pentax puts out a successor, they will be again.