Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the great advice!

02-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well if it was not hard enough on me being in the same house with my X and all of her family, i took 150 pictures with high hopes of getting some great pictures. I used the 18-135 on manual with out the flash, a few i took with the flash and they turned out great, all the pictures i took without flash were out of focus. I am heart broken, my daughter expected me to take good pictures and i let her down
02-23-2015, 11:53 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Well if it was not hard enough on me being in the same house with my X and all of her family, i took 150 pictures with high hopes of getting some great pictures. I used the 18-135 on manual with out the flash, a few i took with the flash and they turned out great, all the pictures i took without flash were out of focus. I am heart broken, my daughter expected me to take good pictures and i let her down
Well dang. With those that are out of focus - was the problem depth of field? Was the focus point selected by the camera the wrong one and then a lack of depth of field ruined it?
02-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am not sure, i will attach two photos, one taken with the flash the other without. Maybe you can determine what happened.

02-23-2015, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
I am not sure, i will attach two photos, one taken with the flash the other without. Maybe you can determine what happened.
If not me then someone else with knowledge and an opinion will chip in! LOL
02-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-23-2015, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Your first shot was made at 1/20th of a second which means there was likely movement blur from the subjects, from you, etc. The flash mode also can turn on an AF assist light which may help with focus. My best guess is that you needed to crank the ISO higher to get a higher shutter speed on the non-flash shots. And although that first shot was a little burry - it isn't bad. There may be room to add sharpening in post processing to give a little improvement but even without it would be fine for small prints for most of my family. l would hate the lack of sharpness but my family wouldn't notice.
02-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is another, i was using the couch back to steady my hands.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Again - you may be steady... but is your daughter? 1/40 isn't too bad from a camera movement perspective but rough when trying to freeze a moving child.
02-23-2015, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The photo with flash is nice. Even the one without flash can be saved. Try not to be too heartbroken. At least you got some keepers, and sometimes less is more. Will you get another opportunity to photograph the three of them again? This is a learning experience. I have made this error over and over again and now I use flash indoors almost all of the time now, rarely using it on full blast, though. Even on "auto" you can turn down the flash.

Keep up the good work!
02-23-2015, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Buy a flash for your hotshoe, Kim - ideally one that swivels so you can bounce it off side walls or the ceiling. You get to use your existing lenses at good apertures so the pics are sharp and depth of field covers your subjects (a lens at f1.8 is irrelevant with mum, dad and child all in the picture) and the shutter speed can be nice and high to freeze the action. :-)
02-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote
The photo with flash is nice. Even the one without flash can be saved. Try not to be too heartbroken. At least you got some keepers, and sometimes less is more. Will you get another opportunity to photograph the three of them again? This is a learning experience. I have made this error over and over again and now I use flash indoors almost all of the time now, rarely using it on full blast, though. Even on "auto" you can turn down the flash.

Keep up the good work!
This was their daughters 1st birthday, so my daughter wanted a picture of all three together. There will be more times that i will see them together, but will not be the same.
02-23-2015, 03:41 PM - 2 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't feel bad the shot you got is good.
02-23-2015, 11:52 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

what kind of software do you use? you could try some sharpening or unsharp masking in PP.

With flash 1/100 without 1/40: you need to compensate for the flash either with Aperture or ISO. 1/125, F: 1.8 ,ISO: 800 in your case with ISO so try ca. 1/125, F: 4.5, ISO: 3200 - - or another combination its just an example not 100% accurate.

There is a rule of thumb that you should have a shutter speed of 1/125 to freeze the the action in a portraiture. The main reason for the 1/125 is the eyelid movement, blow 1/125 you will sometimes get ghosting of the eyelid...

another thing when using a variable aperture lens is that you want to use it (indoors) where it is brighter so more to the wide side, as at 135mm you have only 5.6 which is quite dark...

and another "rule" to get sharp images with a tele lens, this is what the 18-135 gets at the long end: the shutter speed should have at least the speed of the focal length (135mm ca. 1/125 - 160)...

A reduction / prevention of red-eyes can be achieved (without software) if the flash is further away from the lens... requires a hot-shoe flash there is a new one from Pentax -- AF201FG Flash Announced - use it with a diffuser...

Last edited by max_pyne; 02-24-2015 at 12:08 AM.
02-24-2015, 12:05 AM   #45
Site Supporter

DA18-135 and a decent flash.