Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 12:09 AM   #46
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by max_pyne Quote

With flash 1/100 without 1/40
If the flash is the only light source, the shutter speed can safely be 5s, and the subject will be super sharp because the flash only lasts around 1/10,000s.

In practice, there's other, ambient light present where the subject moving will cause a blur - getting the balance right is a skill to be learned.

02-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yes, this is what i am trying to learn I was hoping that i could purchase a lens that was fast enough to take pictures in low light and not have to run the ISO up so high that everyone looks like they are made of stone. I will have to purchase a good flash and start learning how to use it, so the next time i have my grand daughter i can take good pictures. Like it was mentioned, i sent pictures to all the Aunt's and they were so happy with the quality of the pictures!
02-24-2015, 07:25 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Yes, this is what i am trying to learn I was hoping that i could purchase a lens that was fast enough to take pictures in low light and not have to run the ISO up so high that everyone looks like they are made of stone. I will have to purchase a good flash and start learning how to use it, so the next time i have my grand daughter i can take good pictures. Like it was mentioned, i sent pictures to all the Aunt's and they were so happy with the quality of the pictures!
The problem is that those faster lenses don't give you enough depth of field for the types of photos you wanted. Flash is king in this case. However I find that shooting up to ISO 3200 or even 6400 with my K50 is quite usable.
02-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It has been a long time since using a flash on my Olympus OM-10, are today's flash very user friendly or do i need to go back to school

02-24-2015, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
It has been a long time since using a flash on my Olympus OM-10, are today's flash very user friendly or do i need to go back to school
That's an "it depends" question. Some would say yes, some no. P-TTL which is the way Pentax flashes work is supposed to be easy but it seems a bit clunky at times to me. Some recommend just getting an :AUTO type flash and not using P-TTL but I get pretty good results sometimes. Mostly I'm still learning myself.
02-24-2015, 11:18 AM   #51
Veteran Member

A common complaint is that pTTL does not give consistent results. I'm not experienced enough to blame pTTL, it might just as well be user error; but the times I use autothyristor-mode on the flash I tend to get more consistent results. It requires a little more work though (but not much).

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
but I get pretty good results sometimes
02-24-2015, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
A common complaint is that pTTL does not give consistent results. I'm not experienced enough to blame pTTL, it might just as well be user error; but the times I use autothyristor-mode on the flash I tend to get more consistent results. It requires a little more work though (but not much).

I'm the poster child for still learning flash after all these years. I need a student driver type sign for my flash.

02-24-2015, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm the poster child for still learning flash after all these years. I need a student driver type sign for my flash.
Please note I did not say, "Student Flasher"...
02-24-2015, 06:49 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL, we shall iearn togather Grasshopper!
02-25-2015, 07:34 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since my first purchase of a Pentax DSLR (the wonderful little Pentax K-r), I have only had pop-up flash. Now, with my Pentax K-30 (a huge step up for me), I still only have pop-up flash. Oftentimes, when using my pop-up flash, I will lower my ISO to 100 and my aperture to around f/8. With the shutter speed as high as it will go once the pop-up is activated (1/180), I get very nice pictures this way. Sometimes I have to raise the ISO, but I never have to raise it above 200-250 with pop-up flash on people shots indoors.

Thinking about moving up to a hot shoe flash, but I have not done so as of yet.
02-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by timmijo Quote

Thinking about moving up to a hot shoe flash, but I have not done so as of yet.

With the right technique and choice of diffuser/bounce, it'll elevate your portrait taking, Timmijo ... a second hand 540 would be great or the newly announced mini WR flash.
02-25-2015, 09:17 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the tip, I will have to check those out.
02-26-2015, 04:17 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info, you guy are great