Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup, that's why I have TWO of them. I would cheerfully buy another one too if I lost one to use someday and could find one in like new shape. I always want to have a K-30 and at least one backup. I'm not kidding. I love it so much that if I could I'd buy a dozen of them just so I'd never run out of them until I croaked. I like my K5II a lot. It's a great camera too, but I love my K-30's more even though in some ways they are less of a camera than my K5II. Vice versa is also true. Each has it's own pluses, it's own negatives, but I think the K-30 is the first DSLR that has truly made me love it like I love my old SPII's.

Other cameras they may come and go, but I think I'm pretty set on the K-30's and having at least a couple around for years to come. I meant to get a 3rd K-30 eventually actually, but then I got the K5II in a steal of a deal with a much wanted 50mm prime and the 18-135WR and went that route. I still kind of covet one in blue to go with my white and red, grin, but the K5II does make a nice partner to my K30's so likely this will be it for a long while. When I was trying to decide which the red K-30 swayed me but I was seriously looking at the K5II as well. Now I figure I have the best of both worlds...

02-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
I, too, love my K-30. I love the way it looks; I have the white version. I will have had the camera for two years in April. I just checked my shutter count: 34,785! :-) I'm also the #1 contributor to the K-30 group I'm in on Flickr... by more than 1,000 images!
I looked at the first few pages on your Flickr stream, Sara. They show a lot of skill and imagination - but also a good advertisement for the camera (sharpness, colour, DR etc).

I like my K-30 (two of them). Feature set is excellent, it's well laid-out and the size and feel are just about perfect for me.

The features that would tempt me to update (e.g. to KS-2 or K-3) would be more pixels for cropping wildlife shots and absence of AA filter. But I'll wait at least another year before going there.
02-21-2015, 11:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Hmmmm , I do enjoy my K30 , as well my K50 and K5 ...
Any one of these would / should serve some one well ....
02-22-2015, 04:32 AM   #19
Forum Member

I did a lot reading before buying my first DSLR 2 years ago and I kept coming back to the K30. The weather-resistance really sold me. I've taken it backpacking in the pouring rain all day several times, out in the snow several times, below zero several times, and I'm not as careful as I should be protecting the body from damage by rough-housing. I'll tell you what, it can take a beating and keep on clicking. It's my first DSLR, so I'm still learning how to get great images from it, but that's just my inexperience as many photos from the K30 that I see on this forum and flickr, etc, are incredible. And for the cost of the body and availability of WR lenses...it's the perfect fit for me.

02-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Yup, that's why I have TWO of them. ....... I love it so much that if I could I'd buy a dozen of them just so I'd never run out of them until I croaked. I like my K5II a lot. It's a great camera too, but I love my K-30's more .....
My sentiment exactly !

---------- Post added 02-22-15 at 11:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TimPGH Quote
I did a lot reading before buying my first DSLR 2 years ago and I kept coming back to the K30. The weather-resistance really sold me. I've taken it backpacking in the pouring rain all day several times, out in the snow several times, below zero several times, and I'm not as careful as I should be protecting the body from damage by rough-housing. I'll tell you what, it can take a beating and keep on clicking. It's my first DSLR, so I'm still learning how to get great images from it, but that's just my inexperience as many photos from the K30 that I see on this forum and flickr, etc, are incredible. And for the cost of the body and availability of WR lenses...it's the perfect fit for me.
That's why I bought mine.....just kept coming back to it over and over
02-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my K30, and it still looks young, but I'm thinking of selling it for a K-S2 for the better AF, even though the K30 handles well. I have a K3, but still feel more comfortable with the K30.

Last edited by Spodeworld; 02-22-2015 at 10:33 AM.
02-22-2015, 12:13 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
I love my K30, and it still looks young, but I'm thinking of selling it for a K-S2 for the better AF, even though the K30 handles well. I have a K3, but still feel more comfortable with the K30.
Same here for the K3 and K30.....K30 gets used way more

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 02-22-2015 at 01:39 PM.
02-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Yep....it is a great camera.
I love its lines compared to the other camera models we have. I constantly consider upgrading to a 5IIS or a 3 but then I look at the pics with my 30 and ask myself....why ? I love this camera too.

02-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Luv mine too!

Noticed many mentions of diaphragm repair- mine has been ok for the 10 months I've had it (bought here on the marketplace) but I haven't been shooting as much as I used to due to work. Did notice that stop-down on an M lens with a sticky aperture was a bit hit and miss until I worked the ring a bit.

Wondering what the fail percentage is? Have a chance to pick up a second body for 175.00 and thinking I might for a backup.
02-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
Luv mine too!

Noticed many mentions of diaphragm repair- mine has been ok for the 10 months I've had it (bought here on the marketplace) but I haven't been shooting as much as I used to due to work. Did notice that stop-down on an M lens with a sticky aperture was a bit hit and miss until I worked the ring a bit.

Wondering what the fail percentage is? Have a chance to pick up a second body for 175.00 and thinking I might for a backup.
I have read that too about the diaphram failing ,its a concern , but it doesn't look like a large percentage.
Would jump on that deal for $175 in a second ! Going to buy a second K30 within 7 days since I simply cant stand it anymore and mine is getting up there in miles.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 02-24-2015 at 10:42 AM.
02-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I have had mine for 2 years 3 months and never had an issue, no diaphragm issues, no other exposure problems, it has been a great camera. I had the 2 year extended warranty just to be safe but never have had to have it serviced, knock on wood.
02-24-2015, 10:57 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I have had mine for 2 years 3 months and never had an issue, no diaphragm issues, no other exposure problems, it has been a great camera. I had the 2 year extended warranty just to be safe but never have had to have it serviced, knock on wood.
How many clicks you have on yours ? Mine is 50K and still going fine. I wonder what the highest so far is without a failure ? We are about to find out.
I do freelance work for two Insurance Fraud Investigators so when I get the evidence they need there is no letting up on the shutter button ! Its not unusual for me to Take over 1000 clicks in a couple days in certain situations. All time record was 3500 clicks in 48hrs.....Collected almost 4 grand on that one. Too bad it only happens that way about 2 or 3 times a year.....lol.
02-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-30 (and the K-50 I guess) is really a great camera. I had to ship mine for replacement of the aperture control assembly like many others (still on warranty) but still when you look at it:

- paid 650$ for a wr kit in the fall of 2013 (same price I paid my K-x 4 years before that) and now you can get K-50 wr kit for less than 500$
-WR means I was able to shoot my kids having fun in the waves of Virginia Beach (hosing down the K-30 after returning to the campsite)
-I have the possiblilty of using 4 AA batteries when I go on a three week camping trip with no electricity.
-In body time lapse movie (really enjoy that)
-astrotracer function (really love that)
-6 fps for shooting my kids sports activities

Nothing comes close to that at that price range
02-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SunValley Quote
The K-30 (and the K-50 I guess) is really a great camera. I had to ship mine for replacement of the aperture control assembly like many others (still on warranty)
-I have the possiblilty of using 4 AA batteries when I go on a three week camping trip with no electricity.
I have 4 batteries but the AA batteries and adapter saved me more than once...
02-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I do!

It has all the bells and whistles I need. It is far more like the ME Super I learned with than the K2000 ever was and takes better images with the same lenses.

I think I will use it until it dies.