Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a K30, black one, shutter count 33366 and never had any problems with it. I have two AA holders. And I bought this camera used from a forum member, it had 23,000 shots on it, I've only had it two years.
And yes, I love my K30.

Last edited by photolady95; 05-07-2015 at 06:26 PM.
05-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After 2.5 years, I just crossed over 40,000 clicks a couple of weeks ago, and that's after taking off a large chunk of time this year from photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
This amazing k30 (gun metal look) is my backup camera
That is so hot! Like, Hansel hot

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I still think about upgrading to the K-S2 but I looked at a comparison from a DPR forum member who had pics from the K-30, K-S2 and K-3. To me, the K-30 still looks best in output. Hard to upgrade when I see that the pics still look best to me.
I asked a question about the K-30 vs the K-S1 (which shares the same sensor as the K-S2) and I came to a different conclusion. See this post here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/283229-comparison-be...ml#post3086343

To me, the lack of AA filter for some sharpness boost, plus more megapickles for cropping, means I'm going to upgrade the K-30 to the K-S2 by the end of the year.
02-12-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I just wanted to see if anyone else loves their K30 as much as I do mine ? When it came out it looked like an ideal DSLR for outdoorsy people. It kinda has a strange rugged look different from Other Pentax bodies. Its got that strange protruding flash , and different textured grip. I have 50,000 actuations on mine in a year and a half and its beat all to hell.
Bought 2 new K3 bodies during the pre holiday deals and figured I would just leave it behind and move on up. Well that easier said than done. With the Pentax FF now announced , and my K30 still going strong.....well....I sold one K3 and debating on selling the other . Im wanting a new K30 again !! I just love it !! I know Im not alone as the K30 seems to get higher used prices than the K50 , and even higher for a new K30 than a new K50
Im thinking this is going to end up....2 K30's......and a FF Pentax . Anyone else real partial with theirs ? I just consider it one of the best DSLR cameras pentax has made for what it is.....just fits in to an outside lifestyle better than anything Ive tried. The appeal is unexplainable....just solidly there.
I loved my K30 until i had the dreaded Aperture control problem at about 8000 activation's Fortunately I have a good stock of manual lenses and Auto lenses with an aperture ring. So the K30 is my back up for as long as it lasts. I won't pay $300 to fix it.

I have since replaced the K30 with the KS2 and have had no issues with it. There are differences though. The K30 is abit larger so if you have big hands its takes some getting used to the KS2. The KS2 also seems heavier. I love the articulating screen and the Wifi, but there is no wired remote port (wifi replaces that with the exception of bulb mode. Control over wifi is decently fast. File copying from SD to the phone controlling is UBER slow.10-12 seconds per image. The FPS is also noticeably faster with a larger buffer on the K30. The trade off is an external Mic port which isn't on the K30.

The 18-50 lens with the kit was sort of a gimme. Its a normal consumer lens that isn't really that special except for the silent operation of an internal focus motor. It collapses for storage too but that's not a selling feature for me.
02-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #49
Site Supporter

I love mine so much I'm having it repaired ($206). Mainly because I can't even shoot with lenses that have an aperture ring. When mine went down, I was using an all manual lens in manual mode set to manual focus, and aperture set to f11. All I got were black frames.

02-13-2016, 06:53 AM   #50
Site Supporter

I still really like mine a lot but I wish it focused down to -3 EV instead of -1. You can feel it struggle a bit sometimes in low light
02-15-2016, 02:43 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I just got my first K-30 about a month ago and I like it better than my K-50! I didn't think that was possible.... but it's true! It seems to fit my hands better. Feels "right,".... or at least MORE right than the K-50.

I don't think I'll ever miss the lower ISO because.... really now.... how many of us actually shoot ANYTHING at 51K ISO? Well, I suppose that's possible if one were looking for some very special look, but otherwise, I doubt it.

Mine's black, but I'd sure like one of those fire engine red ones! Then, it would match the fire engine red Corvette I'd like to have!
02-16-2016, 05:19 AM   #52

Not as much as I love my K-50!!!!
02-26-2016, 01:14 AM   #53

The K-30 was replaced too soon! It is actually a very special camera, the looks, the size, the specs and the handling. I have dreamt of a new camera now and then (when the photos haven't resulted in what I aimed to do, my fault I know) but everytime I compare the K-30 with others I realize it is getting pretty expensive to get something worth exchanging the K-30 with. I am not so found of the camera's heavy noise in low light and most of my penta lenses have produced soft sharpness. No star lenses of course, only the cheapest kit lenses, I know. The lenses was easy to replace and I now use all-manual lenses from Laowa and Samyang and now the K-1 will have to prove magic for me to prove worthy of my money. Well, yes I love my K-30.

02-26-2016, 02:22 PM   #54
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try some limited or * glass before giving up on the k-30. They just sing on that 16mp sensor.
02-27-2016, 04:31 AM   #55
Site Supporter

You think that the K30 is particularly noisy in low light? I don't. I think it performs quite well in that department.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hildalill Quote
The K-30 was replaced too soon! It is actually a very special camera, the looks, the size, the specs and the handling. I have dreamt of a new camera now and then (when the photos haven't resulted in what I aimed to do, my fault I know) but everytime I compare the K-30 with others I realize it is getting pretty expensive to get something worth exchanging the K-30 with. I am not so found of the camera's heavy noise in low light and most of my penta lenses have produced soft sharpness. No star lenses of course, only the cheapest kit lenses, I know. The lenses was easy to replace and I now use all-manual lenses from Laowa and Samyang and now the K-1 will have to prove magic for me to prove worthy of my money. Well, yes I love my K-30.
02-27-2016, 04:53 AM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
You think that the K30 is particularly noisy in low light? I don't. I think it performs quite well in that department.

Well, it could be a matter of lack of competence and/or slow lenses, but my K-30 has produced some really bad results in low light conditions. Still I love the camera.
02-28-2016, 03:11 PM   #57
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
It seems to fit my hands better. Feels "right,"....
Why do you think it fits your hands better when both cameras are the same size? I need to know because I have very small hands and my K-30 seems to fit just right but since I'm considering just buying a K-50 (getting my K-30 fixed next month). What difference are you feeling between the two? Please.
02-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Why do you think it fits your hands better when both cameras are the same size? I need to know because I have very small hands and my K-30 seems to fit just right but since I'm considering just buying a K-50 (getting my K-30 fixed next month). What difference are you feeling between the two? Please.

The "same size," and the same shape are two different things. The K-30 has a different gripping surface.... a sort of leather-like texture that feels better to me. Granted, it's only a slight difference, but I can close my eyes and tell which one I have in my hand. I have fairly large hands and the flat surface to the right of the rear wheel on the K-30 feels good to my thumb. Also, the K-30 has a large "scoop" in the grip for the middle finger, affording more of a feeling of secure purchase. This, along with the flat surface mentioned feels like it fits my hand better.

Both are superb cameras and as far as I know, other than the shape, they are identical in performance.... higher ISO of the K-50 excluded. The more angular surfaces of the K-30 seem to appeal to me more.... but that has NOTHING to do with the images they produce. I love 'em both.... I just wish the K-30 was the bright fire engine red version! But then, I'd have to find a Ferrari emblem for it!
02-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #59
Site Supporter

Thanks for the explanation. But as small as my hands are I think the K-50 in them will be fine.
04-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #60

I love my K30. Even though I have to do lots of video where Pentax suck, I still love it and feel better with my k30 than with any other cam I tried. Even Canon 5d mark3 didn't impress me as K30 does. I love it's looks and am so proud that my cam is not only comfortable, but also looks unique compared to what most other shooters have. I would nominate k30 as best sexy looking and great ergonomics cam from Pentax. I learned so much with this little beast

Last edited by Danas_Anis; 04-15-2016 at 04:31 PM.