Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does anyone else love their K30 as much as me ?

I just wanted to see if anyone else loves their K30 as much as I do mine ? When it came out it looked like an ideal DSLR for outdoorsy people. It kinda has a strange rugged look different from Other Pentax bodies. Its got that strange protruding flash , and different textured grip. I have 50,000 actuations on mine in a year and a half and its beat all to hell.
Bought 2 new K3 bodies during the pre holiday deals and figured I would just leave it behind and move on up. Well that easier said than done. With the Pentax FF now announced , and my K30 still going strong.....well....I sold one K3 and debating on selling the other . Im wanting a new K30 again !! I just love it !! I know Im not alone as the K30 seems to get higher used prices than the K50 , and even higher for a new K30 than a new K50
Im thinking this is going to end up....2 K30's......and a FF Pentax . Anyone else real partial with theirs ? I just consider it one of the best DSLR cameras pentax has made for what it is.....just fits in to an outside lifestyle better than anything Ive tried. The appeal is unexplainable....just solidly there.

02-21-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have a K-30, but do you love your K-30 as much as I love my K-5?
02-21-2015, 05:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Me too, thought of buying K3 when price was great (still very good now), but eventually decided to not to. Like smaller K30. Unfortunately, mine has aperture control problem shortly after and had to be returned. Now i am eyeing on KS2, similar idea, only better.
02-21-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

50,000 shots in 18 months.....that's roughly 80 - 100 photo's a day......wow!! That's what I call getting your money's worth

My K30 was my very first DSLR so I had nothing to compare it against, but it does everything I want and I'm very, very happy with it. There's nothing (for my skill level anyway) that I can think of that I would gain by upgrading to something else. I've just bought a K50 to form the basis of a second kit because it's basically the K30 in a different body. I think they are fantastic value for money, and a great example of what Pentax represents.

02-21-2015, 05:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Me too, feel always happy with my k30 so there is no plan to get new body now. K30 + eneloops =
02-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
50,000 shots in 18 months.....that's roughly 80 - 100 photo's a day......wow!! That's what I call getting your money's worth

My K30 was my very first DSLR so I had nothing to compare it against, but it does everything I want and I'm very, very happy with it. There's nothing (for my skill level anyway) that I can think of that I would gain by upgrading to something else. I've just bought a K50 to form the basis of a second kit because it's basically the K30 in a different body. I think they are fantastic value for money, and a great example of what Pentax represents.
YUP.....that's why its so beat up. But never ever let me down....like a Timex....takes a licking....keeps on ticking.

---------- Post added 02-22-15 at 09:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Me too, thought of buying K3 when price was great (still very good now), but eventually decided to not to. Like smaller K30. Unfortunately, mine has aperture control problem shortly after and had to be returned. Now i am eyeing on KS2, similar idea, only better.
Im curios about the KS2 sensor being 20mp....Yes....Im a bit envious...but...well.....Im married now to the K30....lol. That swivel screen is sooooo badly needed by me. I may have to become a polygamist before its over.

---------- Post added 02-22-15 at 09:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't have a K-30, but do you love your K-30 as much as I love my K-5?
I imagine its the same.......except I have Focus Peaking ! we learn to live with our girls shortcomings and adapt.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 02-21-2015 at 07:05 PM.
02-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

K-5 has LV also..

02-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
K-5 has LV also..
Ohhh....I meant focus peaking...not LV......sorry.
02-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Might need another edit?

"we learn to live with or girls.."
02-21-2015, 06:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I, too, love my K-30. I love the way it looks; I have the white version. I will have had the camera for two years in April. I just checked my shutter count: 34,785! :-) I'm also the #1 contributor to the K-30 group I'm in on Flickr... by more than 1,000 images!

It's been a great camera to learn on, but I definitely take fewer pictures now than before, when I was figuring it all out. I use any excuse at all to take pictures, and my K-30 is also looking pretty rough. Good thing my K-S2 is on pre-order!
02-21-2015, 06:53 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my k-30 as well, and at the moment have no plans to move up in the near future.Mine just came back from a warranty repair. Thank goodness for Canada's 2 year warranty. I bought it to replace my DL . The DL is still going strong .
02-21-2015, 07:03 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love mine. So much so that I haven't even felt tempted by the K-3. Or the K-S2. Missed it a lot when it was in repair for the diaphragm control block and I had to go back to using my K-r. I just feel it fits me well. The grip fits my hands perfectly and I like the rugged look. Not to mention, it makes great photos.
02-21-2015, 07:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Might need another edit?

"we learn to live with or girls.."
Thanks....I have the flu so things just aren't right...lol

---------- Post added 02-22-15 at 10:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Love mine. So much so that I haven't even felt tempted by the K-3. Or the K-S2. Missed it a lot when it was in repair for the diaphragm control block and I had to go back to using my K-r. I just feel it fits me well. The grip fits my hands perfectly and I like the rugged look. Not to mention, it makes great photos.
Right....fits me perfect. Yeah.....that's it...a "Rugged Look"....I said it but that DOES describe it.
Like it just screams...take me Backpacking...take me fishing.... and travelling.....Im Your outdoor Water resistant Camera ! And it is soo easy to use with great images,

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 02-21-2015 at 07:15 PM.
02-21-2015, 09:51 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I just wanted to see if anyone else loves their K30 as much as I do mine ? When it came out it looked like an ideal DSLR for outdoorsy people. It kinda has a strange rugged look different from Other Pentax bodies. Its got that strange protruding flash , and different textured grip. I have 50,000 actuations on mine in a year and a half and its beat all to hell.
Bought 2 new K3 bodies during the pre holiday deals and figured I would just leave it behind and move on up. Well that easier said than done. With the Pentax FF now announced , and my K30 still going strong.....well....I sold one K3 and debating on selling the other . Im wanting a new K30 again !! I just love it !! I know Im not alone as the K30 seems to get higher used prices than the K50 , and even higher for a new K30 than a new K50
Im thinking this is going to end up....2 K30's......and a FF Pentax . Anyone else real partial with theirs ? I just consider it one of the best DSLR cameras pentax has made for what it is.....just fits in to an outside lifestyle better than anything Ive tried. The appeal is unexplainable....just solidly there.
My K-30 is my first DSLR andI love it too ! Like you, I have mine for 18 months and it has 15,000 clicks on it. The only gripe that I have is shutter noise not as quite as the K-3 for indoor shots, but I had known about that before I bought it. Most of my shots are taken outdoors. No plan to upgrade to K-3 or K-S2, may be to the upcoming FF in 2016/2017.
02-21-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
Forum Member

recent owner

I have had mine for a short time, I like it better than the KX I have, it seems to have improved on everything. It has been snowy and cold here and it hasn't failed yet, been through a few snow storms and weather in the teens. I dumped it in the snow purposely so I could crawl out of deep snow. I got one with about 1850 shutter clicks on Ebay for $232 with the kit lens. I have the blue one and it looks new.