Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2015, 07:56 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
AquaDome's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,472
What cameras does the K-50 share a sensor with?

I love my K-50. I especially love its low-noise output at ISO up to 20,000 and the fact that it is 16.3MP.

I love my K-3. I love the feature set and the controls (except I wish the play button was where the K-50 has it).

What I really want (at the moment; it changes often) is a K-50 sensor with K-3 features and controls.

Am I describing a K-5 model?

02-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,735
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
What cameras does the K-50 share a sensor with?
In K-mount: K5, K5ii, K5iis, K-01, K-30, K-50.

But none have K-3 features like the dual card slots or SR anti-moiré.
02-24-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,834
Closest is probably K5SII - it lacks the AA filter. As mentioned, it doesn't have the electronic solution for Moire.
02-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
AquaDome's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,472
Original Poster
Does any version of the K-5 have focus peaking? That is one feature I would hate to lose.

02-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,882
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
In K-mount: K5, K5ii, K5iis, K-01, K-30, K-50.

But none have K-3 features like the dual card slots or SR anti-moiré.
K-01, K-30, K-50 share the same sensor. K5 series have slightly different sensor, and 14-bit RAW vs 12-bit for the lower models.

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Does any version of the K-5 have focus peaking? That is one feature I would hate to lose.
None of the K-5 series has focus peaking.
02-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,735
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
K-01, K-30, K-50 share the same sensor. K5 series have slightly different sensor
Can you quantify the differences in the sensors, as opposed to what the cameras do with them?
02-24-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member
JimC1101's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fremont, Ca
Photos: Albums
Posts: 393
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
I love my K-50. I especially love its low-noise output at ISO up to 20,000 and the fact that it is 16.3MP.

I love my K-3. I love the feature set and the controls (except I wish the play button was where the K-50 has it).

What I really want (at the moment; it changes often) is a K-50 sensor with K-3 features and controls.

Am I describing a K-5 model?


Ahhh....the "Sweet Sixteen". It has been a great sensor for Pentax. Thank you Sony.
02-24-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
AquaDome's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,472
Original Poster
What I really like about the K-50 sensor is its beautiful rendering and low noise. I wouldn't call the K-3 high-noise, but in my side by side comparison at ISO 20,000 I can definitely see a difference. I know I can de-noise my K-3 low-light images in post. Perhaps I need to look into that option. Perhaps the K-50 has spoiled me with its seductive sensor.

02-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,882
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Can you quantify the differences in the sensors, as opposed to what the cameras do with them?
Its been a couple of years since I researched the differences between the 2 sensors, but the main takeaway for me (other than 12-bit vs 14-bit RAW) is the K-01/K-30/K-50 sensor scans the image data more quickly than the K-5's do, resulting in faster Live View performance and also higher frame rates in video.

---------- Post added 02-24-15 at 06:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
What I really like about the K-50 sensor is its beautiful rendering and low noise. I wouldn't call the K-3 high-noise, but in my side by side comparison at ISO 20,000 I can definitely see a difference. I know I can de-noise my K-3 low-light images in post. Perhaps I need to look into that option. Perhaps the K-50 has spoiled me with its seductive sensor.
When you compare them side-by-side, have you reduced the image from the K-3 to 16MP, to match the K-30?
02-24-2015, 07:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,735
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Its been a couple of years since I researched the differences between the 2 sensors, but the main takeaway for me (other than 12-bit vs 14-bit RAW) is the K-01/K-30/K-50 sensor scans the image data more quickly than the K-5's do, resulting in faster Live View performance and also higher frame rates in video.
Is that not just a corollary of having fewer bits to handle?
02-25-2015, 08:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,882
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Is that not just a corollary of having fewer bits to handle?
I don't think so - or, maybe I should say, its not necessarily "a corollary of having fewer bits to handle". For instance, the Nikon D5100 has Live View (I don't know how snappy the performance is) and also produces 14-bit RAW's with a 16MP sensor.

I believe that the actually number of photosites is very slightly different between the sensors. According to DxO, the output resolution of the K-5 is 4928x3264, whereas for the K-01 its 4936x3272.
02-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,735
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
According to DxO, the output resolution of the K-5 is 4928x3264, whereas for the K-01 its 4936x3272.
Interesting. The K-01 doesn't have Composition Adjustment,
so I wonder if the outer 4px each side are somehow needed for that on the K-5.
02-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
AquaDome's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Carlisle, IN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,472
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
When you compare them side-by-side, have you reduced the image from the K-3 to 16MP, to match the K-30?
No. I'm just comparing the RAW files side by side in LightRoom. I wouldn't give up my K-3 over it, and I definitely don't want to give up my K-50. I just wish I could get a K-50 sensor in a K-3. I was hoping that was the K-5. If the output from the K-5 is comparable to the K-50, the only thing that would keep me from giving up the K-3 and the K-50 would be the lack of focus peaking in the K-5.

Oh well. I suppose having two really wonderful cameras isn't going to kill me.
02-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,457
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
No. I'm just comparing the RAW files side by side in LightRoom. I wouldn't give up my K-3 over it, and I definitely don't want to give up my K-50. I just wish I could get a K-50 sensor in a K-3. I was hoping that was the K-5. If the output from the K-5 is comparable to the K-50, the only thing that would keep me from giving up the K-3 and the K-50 would be the lack of focus peaking in the K-5.

Oh well. I suppose having two really wonderful cameras isn't going to kill me.
I go through the same dilemma also quite frequently too...lol. With focus peaking your pretty much stuck with the K30 or K50 for a sweet 16 sensor ! Unfortunately none of the K5 models have focus Peaking....just LV. I shoot manual primes so for me FP is a must have. Just keep BOTH.....it wont kill you.
02-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,735
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
With focus peaking your pretty much stuck with the K30 or K50 for a sweet 16 sensor !
Don't forget the K-01!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
controls, image, k-3, k-30, k-50, k-50 share, love, pentax k30, pentax k50, post, sensor, sensors, share a sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does the K-30 come with a printed manual? maxxxx Pentax K-30 & K-50 26 03-11-2014 03:36 PM
What does it mean when a lens is "made for the aps-c sensor" Kurt Euler Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 02-01-2014 03:05 PM
Which cameras share the Sony 16.3 MP aps-c sensor used by the k-5ii? dansamy Pentax DSLR Discussion 29 12-25-2013 04:14 PM
Comparing FF to APS-C: What difference does the bigger sensor make? dosdan Photography Articles 26 07-29-2011 02:53 PM
Does the DA 50-135 come with a manual? luxart Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 11-22-2008 08:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top