Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Is there such a thing as some kind of WR lens cover for non-WR lenses?

I have a k-30, and i like taking it out in storms. The weather sealing works great, i bring it out in the rain completely unprotected and never have any problems.

The only issue i have is that it's so difficult to get WR lenses. They're extremely expensive, and the options are limited.

I was thinking, since the camera body is weather resistant, do they sell covers that can go over the lens to make it weather resistant?

03-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 13thmurder Quote
The only issue i have is that it's so difficult to get WR lenses.
You can get the DA L 18-55mm WR for under $100 used, or the all-in-one 18-135mm for around $350 in a lens kit.

QuoteOriginally posted by 13thmurder Quote
I was thinking, since the camera body is weather resistant, do they sell covers that can go over the lens to make it weather resistant?
There are plenty of lens sleeves, such as this one:
Ruggard RC-P18" Rain Cover for DSLR with Lens up to RC-P18

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone came up with something once - there was a kickstarter for canon lenses, but it was only really useful for keeping dust out, not water. Non-WR lenses can get water in them in lots of spots. The weakest link is the lens mount, though, which is what the gasket in the kickstarter protected. I think it ended up not working very well, and never went to market. Not sure.
03-03-2015, 03:40 AM   #4
Marketplace Reseller

Might not be an exact fit, but there is this:
Ikelite | Underwater Housing for Pentax K-5, K-7 DSLR

/snark

03-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Old School; Trash bags, Baggies, Rip stop nylon etc.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/10/18/diy-photography-hacks-make-a-ch...r-your-camera/

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-03-2015 at 05:45 AM.
03-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I sewed a "raincoat" for my camera and lenses, and wrote a how-to article for my weekly paddlesport column. A Raincoat for Your Camera describes the process, and here's the finished product:

It isn't elegant but I didn't lay out a great expense for the materials, and I can use it on a tripod or without. Haven't tried it in a pouring rain but for spray, snow, and light rain it's worked well. I should also add that in those conditions I have a protective filter on the lenses, and always use a hood.

Having said this, Oldbayrunner's clear plastic bag approach would let you see the controls and camera's top display, and it is even easier to put together.
03-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

ewa-marine rain capes
ewa-marine:consumer dslr
ewa-marine pro dslr

Last edited by Not a Number; 03-03-2015 at 08:36 AM.
03-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Op-Tech Rainsleeve.