Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2015, 03:13 AM   #1

Changing exposure duration after taking a picture

Hi all,

excuse my bad english, i hope anybody got an idea/hint on the following:

What really annoys me is the following scenario with the k-50 ( ithink it is the same with the k-5I):

After taking a picture in the Manual modus i want to be able to change the exposure duration immediately after taking a picture. It seems like that is not possible. Everytime i took a picture it seems like it froze. no matter if you turn the control dial or not. it won't change. So i always need to turn the camera on and off to be able to change it.

There must be a fix on that to shoot quicker. I hope so.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Best
Serge

03-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #2

You can try if disabling the image-preview does the trick.
03-07-2015, 04:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Um, what exactly is the problem? Does the camera actually freeze, or is it doing the slow shutter noise reduction dark frame? Is the photo recorded successfully or not? Does this happen after any, every shot in M mode? What about other modes?

When a photo is taken, at the end, here is what happens:
a) camera takes dark frame photo for slow shutter NR, this means the shutter is closed but the camera is taking a photo of equal length as the actual photo was. This reduces digital noise in the final photo, but it takes some time. This only happens when slow shutter NR is enabled and when the exposure is long (I forget what exact number)
b) the camera makes the jpegs from the raw data. This can take a long time if you have things like vignetting correction, chrom ab correction, and especially distortion correction enabled. This happens even if you shoot raw, because the camera still makes preview jpegs embedded in the pef or dng file
c) the camera writes the jpeg or raw on the SD card. This can take some time, depending on card speed (class 10 is recommended, bought in a real life store, not online, hopefully of a trusted brand like Sandisk. In my experience, Sony, Panasonic and other cards were not as fast or reliable)
d) camera shows you the preview of the photo you took. This can be disabled in the Menu

So if you want to speed things up, make sure you have the correct settings disabled. On the other hand, these settings can be really useful, in which case, you need to exercise patience.
If none of these are the problem, then here is what you do:
a) charge battery, leave it outside of camera overnight.
b) make sure lens and camera mount contacts are clean and free of grime, particles
c) make sure SD card slot is free of dust or particles
d) update camera firmware to the latest one (it includes previous updates). there are numerous threads and PF posts about this, with specific tutorials and even youtube videos.

The camera is not supposed to lock up, ever. It might happen a couple times at the beginning, when the camera is still practically brand new, but after a thousand photos, it should run smoothly. Most problems are caused by battery problems. these can be diagnosed if you use a second battery (or AA adapter, if camera supports this). Other problems can be caused by contacts somewhere being shorted, but this is more rare.