Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2015, 11:50 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't get any idea's TER-OR we are helping other people today.

03-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K5 and 18-135 are a bonded pair, they're very happy together and don't need a new lens in the sack, er - bag.
03-10-2015, 12:19 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Let me play devil's advocate. Why a DSLR and not an integrated lens camera or a bridge camera? These offer a fixed lens that can be a single focal length or a zoom with a small footprint and high image quality. They are smaller, lighter, and often not much less expensive than DSLR's but they lack interchangeable lenses. They often lack an optical viewfinder relying either on Electronic Viewfinders or the back LCD.

I love my K50 and my 18-135 - and I'm not trying to tell you it is a bad idea. I do however want to understand if you have jumped a step or two ahead. Will the K50 sit at home because it is too big and heavy compared to the P&S it replaced, will the lens stay affixed and never be changed?

Don't get me wrong I would love to draw you into the Pentax fold, but I'm not going to blindly recommend it without understanding more.
03-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by focusr3 Quote
I bought the 2 lens kit But if i could do it again i wouldn't have. I would recommend the 18-135 kit. It gives you more range with out swapping lenses the point in WR is to stay that way if you are in the elements the last thing you want to do is swap lenses. The 18-135 mm also seems to be more highly regarded.
I would second this. It's not that the kits lenes are bad. They can take really nice pictures if you learn how to use them. It is just that the 18-135 is WR is very well built and, at least for me, is a near perfect all around lens. If I could just have one lens this would probably be it.

03-10-2015, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #20

I did the jump from p&s to dslr a year ago and it was k-50. Instead of the two kit lenses (18-55 and 55-200) I got the bundle with 18-135 and a discounted 50/1.8 prime. It was a great move. Love it.
The pre-set mode settings on the k-50 are a great learning tool. And also allow a "lazy" p&s photographer to take good photos without thinking too much about the settings.
Later I bought a WR 55-300 and some used old manual lenses.
I see my next lenses as being one of the 40mm pancake lenses as well as a 2.8 zoom for indoor photos. But the truth is that the 18-135 and 55-300 are both great lenses and I don't see myself being "forced" into buying the fast zoom just yet.
03-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Let me play devil's advocate. Why a DSLR and not an integrated lens camera or a bridge camera? These offer a fixed lens that can be a single focal length or a zoom with a small footprint and high image quality. They are smaller, lighter, and often not much less expensive than DSLR's but they lack interchangeable lenses. They often lack an optical viewfinder relying either on Electronic Viewfinders or the back LCD.

I love my K50 and my 18-135 - and I'm not trying to tell you it is a bad idea. I do however want to understand if you have jumped a step or two ahead. Will the K50 sit at home because it is too big and heavy compared to the P&S it replaced, will the lens stay affixed and never be changed?

Don't get me wrong I would love to draw you into the Pentax fold, but I'm not going to blindly recommend it without understanding more.
I wanted to play the devil's advocate too! No doubt about it, bang for buck, the K50 is worth it (I don't have one, but feature-wise, you can't get much better for the price.) If you get tired of the kit 18-55mm len, you can experiment with manual focus lenses. A cheap way to get into different focal lengths and different apertures. And there are features of Pentax and K50 to make use manual focus lenses (no question about whether it will mount or not, and you can focus with focus peaking).

There was a a statistic somewhere not long ago that a lot of people [mostly Canon users(?)] don't progress beyond the kit lens, based on camera to lens sales numbers. The important thing I like to ask people is, are you willing to lug it around? I've many a friends who stop carrying around their dslrs because it's too big. For this reason, I like to ask people to consider the Ricoh GR or something similar as well. It's a tough price tag, considering that a dslr body and lens can cost less, but if it's something you'd use more often, it might be worth it to you. There's also no upgrade path per se either, unless you just replace the whole thing.

Otherwise, I'd see if I can factor in a 35mm f/2.4 into your costs. Everyone else is being nice, but I have the first gen 18-55mm and I never ever use it anymore. The newer generation ones and the WR are suppose to be much better, but I've never used them nor seen a side by side comparison. Heck, I dislike mine so much that if you find a k50 body only or a kit with only the 50-200mm, I'd send you mine. (It's not that terrible, I just never use it.)
03-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by ppppsssstttt Quote
I wanted to play the devil's advocate too! No doubt about it, bang for buck, the K50 is worth it (I don't have one, but feature-wise, you can't get much better for the price.) If you get tired of the kit 18-55mm len, you can experiment with manual focus lenses. A cheap way to get into different focal lengths and different apertures. And there are features of Pentax and K50 to make use manual focus lenses (no question about whether it will mount or not, and you can focus with focus peaking).

There was a a statistic somewhere not long ago that a lot of people [mostly Canon users(?)] don't progress beyond the kit lens, based on camera to lens sales numbers. The important thing I like to ask people is, are you willing to lug it around? I've many a friends who stop carrying around their dslrs because it's too big. For this reason, I like to ask people to consider the Ricoh GR or something similar as well. It's a tough price tag, considering that a dslr body and lens can cost less, but if it's something you'd use more often, it might be worth it to you. There's also no upgrade path per se either, unless you just replace the whole thing.

Otherwise, I'd see if I can factor in a 35mm f/2.4 into your costs. Everyone else is being nice, but I have the first gen 18-55mm and I never ever use it anymore. The newer generation ones and the WR are suppose to be much better, but I've never used them nor seen a side by side comparison. Heck, I dislike mine so much that if you find a k50 body only or a kit with only the 50-200mm, I'd send you mine. (It's not that terrible, I just never use it.)
I agree with the lugging around comment.
If I was in the market for new camera now I would probably get the ks-2 with the collapsible WR 18-50 kit lens with DC motor and not the 18-135.
The ks-2 also has two features I would have liked to have on the k-50 but weren't around a year ago. Built in wifi and a flip screen. Both weren't critical to me and with k-50 I can always get an eye-fi card (so far been able to live without it).
03-10-2015, 01:18 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

There have been some steals on KS1's also. If Weather Sealing is not an issue that's another great DSLR choice.
I'm not trying to talk you out of DSLR - just make sure that is what is needed. If all you need is better speed and better images there are more compact options.

03-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
So, we live on a mountain. She wants to take pictures of landscapes, our dog, sunsets, the like. So action and macro plus landscapes I guess. Low lighting for events. We are also going to Ireland next yr for our 5th. This was the original need. Basically it went something like "this thing sucks I am not taking it to ireland just to find out all the pictures suck. blur, lack of detail, horrible colors, I'm done!"
Me personally, I enjoy taking pictures, kind of relaxing. Fun getting "that shot" but I wouldn't say its an addiction. I won't lie though I am excited to see what I can do with one. Not afraid of manual, actually for still shots I would probably prefer it.
Anyway, lugging it around isn't much of an issue as that will more then likely be my job. Resident pack mule. Already ordered a back that will allow me to toss it over my shoulder out of the way. So the inconvenience part has been thought of. Obviously wont be bringing it to dinner but the beach or events for sure.
I have used DSLRs before and I like the feel of them far better then point and shoots. point and shoots feel so light and could slip any minute. cant really get a good grip on one. Also want limitless options thanks to the lenses. Cant afford those huge telephoto lenses today, and wide shots of the mountains in fall would be pretty nice.
Anyway, this is dipping our toe in without wasting money doing it.
Thanks for all the great info. I am googling and searching things you guys suggest to get an idea whats possible on the budget. How to best spend the money to get the most useful now while leaving options open later. Reading up on lingo and checking out that book suggested earlier. Starting from ground up. No thought with a point and shoot.
03-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Pentax K-50 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm and 50-200mm Lenses 10905

^ You can't go wrong with the K-50. It's a really good camera. I'm extremely happy with mine. I got the K-50 with the 2 kit lenses from B&Hl I also got the 35mm f2.4 & 50mm f1.8 primes at the same time. It offers a lot of bang for the buck, plus it's weather sealed. I actually have two K-50s, one for me & one for the wife.

I have no qualms with the kit lenses. Yes. They're not on the same image quality level as the 2 primes that I have, but they work pretty darn well. I keep reading about that 18-135 lens, but I think I rather spend my money on faster lenses instead. Don't get me wrong, it looks like a very good lens, but I think rather spend my money on a different lens.
03-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the 18-135 is the best choice for you but the 18-55/55-300 is a close second. If you are willing to spend more the 16-85 is another option to consider, but this doesn't come in the K50 kits so you have to buy a body and then the lens which may be more than you want to spend. The advantage of the 16-85 is that it is wider which helps with the landscapes which you mentioned.

Low light and cheap and sharp and good don't go together so I'd suggest just bringing up the ISO for lower light shots and maybe investing in a flash.
03-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #27

Original Poster
I completely forgot. I keep freshwater fish. Well, at least I use to. Long story short, moved, tear down, massive lost, 3yrs later I am about to fire it up again. Anyway, I take a lot of pictures of fish. 2 relaxing things at once, add a pellet stove and a beer and I am telling ya work no longer matters. Anyway fish have a tendency to pose for a shot and be almost completely still. Other times they will dart for no reason.
03-10-2015, 06:12 PM   #28

let me offer one other option. spend some more money and get the k5-iis at b and h for 496 body only and then get the 18-135. see what they will give u as a combo on those two. more money but more camera something u can grow into. look at the reviews on the k5-iis on amazon and b and h. people think very highly of that camera. that will be a keeper until u are ready eventually to buy the top of the line that pentax offers. along with the 18-135 the 50 mm f 1.8 is reasonable and a very nice lens .u get those two lenses and the k5-iis and u have a real machine there. just some thoughts.
03-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdog2590 Quote
let me offer one other option. spend some more money and get the k5-iis at b and h for 496 body only and then get the 18-135. see what they will give u as a combo on those two. more money but more camera something u can grow into. look at the reviews on the k5-iis on amazon and b and h. people think very highly of that camera. that will be a keeper until u are ready eventually to buy the top of the line that pentax offers. along with the 18-135 the 50 mm f 1.8 is reasonable and a very nice lens .u get those two lenses and the k5-iis and u have a real machine there. just some thoughts.
yeah , sounds good but budget is to far gone with that plan. Thanks though. Trying to keep it under $600 to start. Wasnt even an option really until I saw the $310 clearance on k-50s at Target. I saw that and was like wow prices have come down since I last looked. The D5200 has also dropped and sales hitting left and right in the same range. Feel like the Pentax has more to offer all around though.
03-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TzalamChadash Quote
I agree with the lugging around comment.
If I was in the market for new camera now I would probably get the ks-2 with the collapsible WR 18-50 kit lens with DC motor and not the 18-135.
The ks-2 also has two features I would have liked to have on the k-50 but weren't around a year ago. Built in wifi and a flip screen. Both weren't critical to me and with k-50 I can always get an eye-fi card (so far been able to live without it).
The Wi-Fi, to me, has no purpose. Unless you don't have a card reader.......

The flip screen, which can be useful, is another piece of something that can break to easily