Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #61

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm not sure I follow. If you buy the first at $305, and then sell the kit lens (you have to factor shipping, paypal, etc.) you might clear the $50 and drive your net price to $255 + $300 (plus shipping possibly) for a DA 18-135, giving a total cost of $555 or so without any warranty on the 18-135 vs. $580 with full warranty on both and no extra work to sell etc.
warranty on the lens, good point, same with the added work.
Wife will be home shortly. will have to discuss it with her, see what shes thinking.
I was mostly thinking it would give more time to spread the money out rather then in one go but I suppose its all the same in the end. Odds are once using the 135mm theres no reason to touch the 55mm again. Would just take up space in a bag.
So yeah, I am on the same page now.

03-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have four 18-55 lenses. None are the newer wr series. All but one have their hood. All are DA series 1. One is new in the box.

I swear I think they are breeding.
03-12-2015, 04:59 PM   #63

Original Poster
Estimated delivery: Wed. Mar. 18 - Wed. Apr. 1

And so it begins......
Hope you guys forging noobs because one was just born.

---------- Post added 03-12-15 at 08:00 PM ----------

enjoy forging*
03-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SininStyle Quote
Estimated delivery: Wed. Mar. 18 - Wed. Apr. 1

And so it begins......
Hope you guys forging noobs because one was just born.

---------- Post added 03-12-15 at 08:00 PM ----------

enjoy forging*
Awesome! Whatever you selected will be a joy and a pleasure to break in. Just remember to slow down and don't get too far ahead of yourself.

03-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #65
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't stop myself giving one more tip about the K-50.

RTFM.

(You don't even have to wait for the camera to arrive: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-50.pdf )

Enjoy Ireland. Pentax does nice greens. ;-)
03-13-2015, 01:16 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
I can't stop myself giving one more tip about the K-50.

RTFM.

(You don't even have to wait for the camera to arrive: http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-50.pdf )

Enjoy Ireland. Pentax does nice greens. ;-)
That said, it's more of a book than a manual. Takes at least a little while to go through the book and learn all the controls well enough to get using them down to the automatic level. The ebook you see in the market forum is good as well and cheap.

Last edited by jgnfld; 03-13-2015 at 01:26 AM.
03-13-2015, 01:17 AM   #67
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I moved up to a K-50 from a Fuji bridge camera - and love it....

every day, I have the itch to shoot something - and to learn more about what I can do with the K-50...

03-13-2015, 04:31 AM - 1 Like   #68

Original Poster
Went with the obvious choice, the 135mm bundle. Just made the most sense.
The manual! Thank you lol. This will make for some exciting reading material for a few nights. can toss it up on the tablet and we can share reading exciting chapters to each other in bed.
Going to be a long wait. Will have to find someone to watch for the UPS guy.

03-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you'll have fun learning the new system. Remember, the tools are all there in the camera - it's all about you now!

That said, this forum is a font of knowledge and experience you can learn from. Remember the search functions and don't be afraid to ask - if it's already been covered somewhere a forum member will point you the right direction.
03-13-2015, 06:31 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you've made a good choice.

As you shoot, be sure to post photos here. I think it encourages more shooting and people are really helpful here to see how you can improve your shots (and not in a condescending way either).
03-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #71

Original Poster
Yeah, will be sure to post a lot of pics. Best way to learn is to screw up
Will have to get ahold of some software. I have Photoshop already CES4 I believe. Will need to get that other adobe program, lightroom or something. I am sure the learning curve is great but if the photos on this site are any indication, will be worth it,.

Actually trying to find reviews and suggestions on memory cards on the forum and I see everything but. saw 2 under Misc. and one of the 2 was for wifi.
03-13-2015, 07:15 AM   #72
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SininStyle Quote
Yeah, will be sure to post a lot of pics. Best way to learn is to screw up
Will have to get ahold of some software. I have Photoshop already CES4 I believe. Will need to get that other adobe program, lightroom or something. I am sure the learning curve is great but if the photos on this site are any indication, will be worth it,.

Actually trying to find reviews and suggestions on memory cards on the forum and I see everything but. saw 2 under Misc. and one of the 2 was for wifi.

I use Lightzone for post-processing - free and easy to use....

SanDisk SD cards have worked flawlessly for me for years....
03-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #73

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I use Lightzone for post-processing - free and easy to use....

SanDisk SD cards have worked flawlessly for me for years....
I am a bit of a computer nerd, ok allot lol. So I know about read and write speeds, performance ect. I understand with photography you really need class 10. With that said I also know that what is stated and what is reality can be worlds apart. So I obviously want to avoid to off brands. Odds are they will straight up lie. Within name brands there is still a wide range. I assume this is performance within class 10. So is there a few that fall in the bang for buck. comes with the reliability and good performance without the over the top Ferrari performance?
The body has its limits, 5 shot burst but I am also no pro. Don't see myself clicking away like a mad man screaming "Give me some emotion, feel it!" as I take shots of a door knob lol.
So Newegg looks to have some 32gb for $15-$20 like Kingston. All class 10, utter garbage and I am missing something or these will work fine just wont keep up with a photo session with a model?
03-13-2015, 07:37 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only time I fire "machine-gun-mode" is when getting shots of ducks landing, dogs playing etc. I use the back-button focus and trigger button for exposure in that mode. The 18-135 has not disappointed with its focus tracking, I think it's better than the screw-drive options I have for that kind of thing.

I use Lightroom, but there are other options.

Kingston is usually pretty reliable.
03-13-2015, 07:58 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pny 32 gig from Amazon works as well as my Sandisk extreme. Both class 10.