Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2015, 09:54 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
About Pentax WR, please have a look to this wattah-wattah clip shot in a Philippine Carnival:
Wattah Wattah San Juan Fiesta 2014 - Pentax Philippines - YouTube
0:52 mark is the highlight of this video. I've had to rewind several times to see it again.

03-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SininStyle Quote
Within name brands there is still a wide range. I assume this is performance within class 10.
"Class 10" really does not mean anything anymore. Modern cards have out paced the class system so much that it is really not a good indicator anymore. "Class 10" really means a minimum speed of 10 MB/s. But most so called "Class 10" cards far exceed that. Newer top cards are rated at 95 MB/s.

So consider "Class 10" as the minimum acceptable, not a top card. Look for cards rated for 30 MB/s or more and use name brands.

I don't find the cost of high end cards to be objectionable, really how many will you ever use? Get a top quality brand name card. I use only SanDisk Extreme Pro cards but their Extreme line is less expensive and still delivers good speeds. Whichever brand you choose get a good card, it's only a few dollars more than a cheap one and what is the cost if the cheap card fails with weeks worth of images on it?
03-14-2015, 08:00 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-50 is a great camera. I have the K-30 but the same are identical I have considered upgrading but the pics look so good from the 16MP sensor. I keep my K-30 and am always happy with it. You will love it when you get it. What Jatrax said is true though, you will have to put more thought into what you are trying to capture and learn how to use your new camera. DOF of P&S cameras make everything look good in a sunny day on the small sensors but if you learn how to use a DSLR, it will always win in all situations.
03-15-2015, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

I saw mentioned earlier low light and cheap. It is entirely possible using older primes. The SMC Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8 or its fully manual counterpart the SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 are both inexpensive, wide angle, decent quality in terms of IQ and build, and are good starter lenses for low-light photography. I use my M 28mm f/2.8 to take pictures of things like the milky way/orion, etc... (astrophotography) and the stars above the horizon with land underneath (astrolandscape).

Some example images:

Astrolandscapes featuring orion constellation (above).

Milky way shot.

General astrolandscape shot.

All images were taken with the SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8, and should have been taken with the aperture wide open. I got a good deal on that lens (about $37 + ship from e bay). So yes, low-light and affordable are definitely possible.

03-15-2015, 09:27 PM   #80
Pentaxian

nice!!! I use the same for the same!! when I get a few bucks want to acquire a 14/2.8! but a $20 28/2.8 is way easier to get than a $250+ 14mm! the constant buying of stuff never ends.....ugh
03-23-2015, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #81

Original Poster
Small update. Got the camera, it only had 130 clicks which is far better then I expected for a demo. Looked brand new, no complaints at all.
With that said, this thing is amazing. This is far better then I had expected. Feels solid, easily held, and the lens is exactly what I was after. It handles everything I want it to do 90% of the time.
Going into this knowing nothing about making a DSLR work let alone better then a point and shoot. After spending just a couple days of messing with settings and correcting shots after looking at them, I would say I am pretty close to exactly what I was after. Very easy to pick up and work, feels forgiving, noob friendly. And I dove in head first into the deep end. Manual day one.
Anyway just wanted to thank everyone for the insightful and dead on recommendations on everything. It was exactly what we were after.
Already looking at tripods and lenses on the outer edges of what the 18-135 can do. Maybe a nice wide and higher zoom like a 300, we shall see.
Thanks again
03-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #82
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Small update. Got the camera, it only had 130 clicks which is far better then I expected for a demo. Looked brand new, no complaints at all.
With that said, this thing is amazing. This is far better then I had expected. Feels solid, easily held, and the lens is exactly what I was after. It handles everything I want it to do 90% of the time.
Going into this knowing nothing about making a DSLR work let alone better then a point and shoot. After spending just a couple days of messing with settings and correcting shots after looking at them, I would say I am pretty close to exactly what I was after. Very easy to pick up and work, feels forgiving, noob friendly. And I dove in head first into the deep end. Manual day one.
Anyway just wanted to thank everyone for the insightful and dead on recommendations on everything. It was exactly what we were after.
Already looking at tripods and lenses on the outer edges of what the 18-135 can do. Maybe a nice wide and higher zoom like a 300, we shall see.
Thanks again

sounds like me - I played and shot and shot and experimented with the kit lenses, then bought a cheaper longer zoom (Sigma 80 - 300mm).... then I bought a prime lens (DA 50mm) and WOW!

keep shooting and having fun!

03-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks again
My recommendation is to wait and feel out how you are shooting. If you are often at the extremes 18 and 135 and wanting more width and more length then grab the DA 15 Limited and 55-300 any version (WR preferred).

I suggest this as the future place for you to spend money because you will get the reach from 55-300 and it has about the same IQ as the 15-135. The 15 is small and light and rationally priced and offers a jump in wide field shooting over the 18-135 and offers a toe dip into the world of Pentax Limited prime lenses. There are many other ways to go - you could buy a dedicated prime telephoto and a zoom wide angle (DA* 300, DA 12-24 for example).
04-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the purchase. I bought a K-50 with the 18-135 last year. Its a great combo to
get started with and learn. And its WR too, lots of fun.
05-26-2015, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #85

Original Poster
2 months later.....

A 2nd K-50 ordered, bundled up with the DA 50mm and 35mm
My wife blames you...not going to correct her, sorry. No worries though I will take the heat when we have the "I need a 400mm" conversation.

Thanks again all
05-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good luck with funds for a long telephoto, you start talking real money then.

Has your wife caught the bug yet? Get a nice wide angle, many like that option for wide vistas and scenery. She may have a good artistic eye.
05-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #87

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Good luck with funds for a long telephoto, you start talking real money then.

Has your wife caught the bug yet? Get a nice wide angle, many like that option for wide vistas and scenery. She may have a good artistic eye.
she has a better artistic eye then I do honestly. And shes the one that started this. I am the late one to the show.
And she loves scenery and mountains. Need a real wide prime but I havent decided how wide to go. the 21mm is tempting but i think further would be better. like a 14 or more. Dont want to get into fisheyes though I dont think.

Seeing you brought it up, any solid suggestions on spans of mountains?
05-28-2015, 01:12 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 21 is serving me well. Here's a set featuring that lens: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ter-or/sets/72157644561141943
I haven't been out to any grand vistas with the lens, though. I should bring it to the prairies with me, just for some wide shots instead of my 100mm macro.

Wider, I'd compare the 15mm to lenses like Sigma's 8-16 which is really nice or the 12-24. Right now, if not fisheye, those would be on my comparison list.
05-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA 15 seems to be higher rated by far than the DA 14. I have only the 15, so I can't directly compare them. Read the reviews and seek out the shots and compare them. The fact that speed isn't typically that important for landscape work means that the 14 carries a lot of weight for little benefit for most photographers.
05-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #90
Pentaxian

I am enjoying my bower 14/2.8