Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #1

Picture taken "lack of light"

Guys, i got this problem occurred again recently. the photo i took very dark as if it is lack of light even tough i set it to auto, and in manual i try to maximize the light as much as is can (increase ISO & slow the shutter, small aperture).

If using the Live view, shutter cannot be released because of 'low light' condition.

Last time i sent it to service centre and they said something about the magnetic?? part inside the body. Since I was in such a rush at that time, I couldn't ask them to explain more details on this because I don't expect it to be happen again.

Warranty period is over already.

03-11-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have that problem when I don't choose the correct light metering.....for instance getting a sunset it was set on spot and all I got was an orange disc surrounded by black then changed the metering to average or whatever it's called and the following exposure was much better
03-11-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hafriez Ab Quote
Guys, i got this problem occurred again recently. the photo i took very dark as if it is lack of light even tough i set it to auto, and in manual i try to maximize the light as much as is can (increase ISO & slow the shutter, small aperture).

If using the Live view, shutter cannot be released because of 'low light' condition.

Last time i sent it to service centre and they said something about the magnetic?? part inside the body. Since I was in such a rush at that time, I couldn't ask them to explain more details on this because I don't expect it to be happen again.

Warranty period is over already.
Check the metering mode- you should probably be in matrix most of the time. Can you post some sample photos with exif intact?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-11-2015, 09:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

ah matrix not average.......weak vocabulary!

03-11-2015, 10:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
I have that problem when I don't choose the correct light metering.....for instance getting a sunset it was set on spot and all I got was an orange disc surrounded by black then changed the metering to average or whatever it's called and the following exposure was much better
i don't think it was because of setting because i also tried reset to factory, but still the photo persists to be dark. but will try to check back the light metering as you suggest.
03-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

good luck!
03-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There was a thread on dpreview about this. K30 Images dark / underexposed: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review Check the post by Anurit J; it might work for you.

Do you have warranty on the repair? I would send it back stating that the issue was not fixed.

03-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
There was a thread on dpreview about this. K30 Images dark / underexposed: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review Check the post by Anurit J; it might work for you.

Do you have warranty on the repair? I would send it back stating that the issue was not fixed.
thanks for the link bro..

found some interesting suggestions to be considered. that'll help me more or less...

sadly to say that my K30 not under warranty anymore..
03-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Since you did not show a pic to see, it is just a guess but it seems that there is a metering going on. If you are taking a sunset, it is very similar to taking a pic at the moon, you will usually have a very white disc because it overwhelms metering and you need to adjust accordingly, If you take a few samples of your pics, it would be much easier to see what we are seeing.
03-15-2015, 07:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
all,

my problem resolved yesterday. for this kind of problem, just need to exercise the camera by taking the photo in bursting mode until all clear. found this trick in this forum. TQ!
03-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #11
Pentaxian

good.....I have read that somewhere along the way.....forget what camera in particular is was about.....k-x maybe? it was weird like it needed to be 'primed' or 'warmed up' kinda thing......well not k-x as this is a k-30/50 thread.....hahaha!
04-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #12
Inactive Account

K-50 not up to par yet

K-50 less than a year old. As a warranty replacement for a malfunctioned K-30.
After many thousands of photos, I was kayaking and started taking photos. I noticed each photo was under-exposed. ISO jack would fix it, but I am a 100 iso person.
After looking at every software, firmware, mechanical possibilities I found through the Pentax Forum a thread; a dark hidden thread, that underexposed shots could be "jimmied" to be fixed by shooting in burst mode a bit. This is unacceptable!! It fixed, what I'm sure is a temporary problem.
But even if this is an entry level camera, at my budget a very expensive camera it should not have this problem with less than a year usage. I shoot a lot of photos (I can do this in the digital world) and to have failure at this point makes me feel sad about Pentax/Ricoh. My first SLR was a Pentax in 1982 and when I went digital, I stayed loyal.
My cheesy kit lens, after finally going WR with a WR camera has slop in it. I think it was someone's old camera that they sent back after buying it.
Anyway, the diaphragm worked fine manually with the lens off. The camera software or firmware, whichever worked like it was supposed to. If I shot a photo at a shutter speed of 1/125 with the aperture set at f4.0, that's what showed up on the properties of the photo. However, the lens did not open to that. In my situation the lens was in a high f stop. Whatever the smallest hole is on the DAL 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR lens. Again, with the lens off I can manipulate the diaphragm with no problem. The blades are not sticking.
So, it seems, in my minds eye there is a mechanical/electrical issue with the aperture motor used in Pentax/Richo cameras.(I will research the manufacturer of this motor and how the system operates, anyone with info I would so appreciate).
After waiting months to have my K-30 repaired I was told it could not be repaired. I was sent a "gift card" from the vendor I purchased the camera from.
So what are us random few photographers to do now? The K-50 is still under warranty. But to send it off to be "fixed" for another three months. I am so very disappointed right now.
A long time Pentax user and proud to be am now in a situation where people tell me I was fool to go with Pentax.
I know kit lens are crap. After being disgruntled with the crappy Vietnam assembled lens, now I am at a loss with the malfunction of the 'aperture motor'. It may be called something else technically, I will know later as I research more.
It's taken me almost eight hours to research and come to my analysis of this problem. Eight hours I could have been doing other things.
Ok Pentax Forum.. I am new here and I love Pentax.
I encourage any replies! Good, bad or indifferent..
thanks,
anthony

ps. any spelling, grammar, technological definitions' I apologize for in advance. I'm an adventurer and photographer artist, not a journalist!
04-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JulesALaCroix Quote
K-50 less than a year old.
Every manufacturer of any product has had problems - that's the reason warranties are given. There is no difference in MIJ and AIV lenses, however - that is an old stereotype perpetuated by resellers.

Unfortunate you had problems. I did too, (K5 mirror flop) but only after reading about it, and after the warranty expired, of course = $275. Had it repaired and bought another to upgrade the K20 into an identical backup. Other reason had me change systems, however.
04-24-2015, 10:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Jules,

I'm very sad to hear about your bad luck. Only way I see is to send it in for repairs (and hopefully it will not take 3 months).
08-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Hey everyone, I've been off the grid a bit.
I contacted Ricoh since my Pentax K-50 was still under Manufacturer warranty. I was told to send it to 'Precision Camera Repair' in Enfield Ct. ( I have a 3 year warranty on it through a third party company)... Under a year old they told me to call Ricoh.
Back to Precision Camera.....I have been reading reviews and OMGoodness!!!! This company has gotten it's fair share of horrible ratings!
Thinking back last year when my K30 failed, it took almost 3 months and having to call Asurion Solution several times, (third party warranty and great people!) I was finally refunded my money on the K30.......
Being a Pentax and Ricoh loyalist, what do I do? I buy the K-50.. Didn't last as long as the K-30...
I am not a rich person and work hard for what few dollars I get.... These may be entry level cameras, but they should handle what I put them through.
I've come to conclusion it's the Aperture Drive Motor/System.... I may be wrong.. just my guess. Especially reading past post from others.
My problem is, Precision Camera... I am sure they have a lot of good work, but a company that accepts and does repairs on every make and model? And with todays manufacturing being 'lean'? There aren't that many qualified camera repair technicians in either of the areas they operate. And since it took three months to tell me my K30 was unrepairable is bunk! (I don't think they had a chance to look at it, Asurion saved me on that one)
I am scared to send my camera to them.....
Question...... Are there any other options? .... Should I write and or contact Japan? I am a Ricoh/Pentax fan, but I may have to start looking at the other manufactures... But I would rather have my camera repaired or replaced....
Not only is the aperture system not adjusting the f.stop, but the lens is sloppy and has not focused well since I first received it.. At first I thought it was my eyesight, but the kit lens is sloppy or loose.....
missing my camera and missing for the second year in a row, the birds hatching on Bird Island Rookery....
anthony