Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2015, 08:52 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
If you want to break the sealing of your camera and lens when the camera is not being used, open the little door covering the SD card holder. I think I can feel air movement if I extend and retract the lens, so that would be one way to equalize the humidity of the air inside and outside the camera. But if that is a concern, you should remove the lens from the camera and store both in air tight containers with desiccant in them (and hopefully dust from the desiccant doesn't get into the camera or lens).
I would suggest that, if you do separate the body and lens then fit the body and lens rear caps anyway as they don't have the weather seals and so should allow a least a little air to circulate within the items.

OTOH, I have never had humidity/fungus problems with cameras in my house which is quite warm and low humidity (too dry even, sometimes!).

03-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #17
Forum Member

I've kept lenses on my camera bodies full time. I live in a very dry area and never had a problem. BUT, is this not a good idea in general? Should you be storing the camera with the lens removed, caps on everything?
03-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #18

I purchased the K-50 with 18-135 zoom lens in last August one day before summer holiday. I came back with tons superb photos that I took. I think that this kit is a great value and a great starting point.
03-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxjaxfl Quote
So, if the 18-135 lens can be used for 90% of photos, can the lens be kept on the camera indefinitely, even when not in use?
Yes, there is no reason to ever take it off if you don't want to. I would guess the majority of DSLR users never take the lens off. The residents of this forum tend to be a little more prolific in their lens ownership and so we do change lenses a lot. But you certainly do not have to. And if you do take it off you should either replace it with a different lens or put the body cap on so dust and whatever do not get in.

My wife has an 18-135 and a 55-300. The 18-135 is used about 90% of the time and she only switches to the longer lens when needed.

03-31-2015, 11:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I just pulled the trigger on a K-50 + DA 18-135 combo myself. The bundled lens seemed like a good deal, and should (with care) outlast the body.

A K-3 is what I really wanted, but I honestly can't fill those shoes at my level. I'm hoping to get some more practice in with a more friendly package like the K-50. Back to basics.

The K-S2 is enticing with its bigger sensor, WiFi, and flippy-screen... but I felt that I would just be throwing money into features that would not improve my photography. I can't treat bad photography with WiFi and flip screens, nor do more megapixels and bit depth add substance to a photo (just data).

Among these cameras weather sealing is a common denominator which really makes the K-50+ 18-135 a no-brainer for value I think. I really like that it can also run on AA's because I have a lot of AA rechargeables for my flashguns.

So... here's to getting the most out of this kit! I can't wait. I think it's going to turn out to be a great choice.

Last edited by lightbox; 03-31-2015 at 11:38 PM.
04-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
I just pulled the trigger on a K-50 + DA 18-135 combo myself. The bundled lens seemed like a good deal, and should (with care) outlast the body.

A K-3 is what I really wanted, but I honestly can't fill those shoes at my level. I'm hoping to get some more practice in with a more friendly package like the K-50. Back to basics.

The K-S2 is enticing with its bigger sensor, WiFi, and flippy-screen... but I felt that I would just be throwing money into features that would not improve my photography. I can't treat bad photography with WiFi and flip screens, nor do more megapixels and bit depth add substance to a photo (just data).

Among these cameras weather sealing is a common denominator which really makes the K-50+ 18-135 a no-brainer for value I think. I really like that it can also run on AA's because I have a lot of AA rechargeables for my flashguns.

So... here's to getting the most out of this kit! I can't wait. I think it's going to turn out to be a great choice.
Totally agree. The K-50 + 18-135mm has been great so far. Very happy that I didn't jump straight to the K-3. As you said, none of the extra features would improve my pictures very much, especially when there is a bigger bottleneck in the way (namely, me). I will definitely step up to a better body in the future when I feel like I am outgrowing the K-50. As for when that would be, it feels like it would be a year or two at least. And even then, I doubt for me it would have anything to do with being able to do something I couldn't now.

As for people recommending the building up of a good lens collection while staying with the less expensive body at this time, in practice it turns out to be great advice, for me at least. It wasn't easy to see when I was in shopping mode but now it's apparent. Besides improving my skill, technique, and practicing in the long term, lenses are the only other major thing that would make a big difference as soon as you start using them. I picked up a DA 35mm f2.4 and for the most part, besides a minor improvement in IQ in certain situations, it's really more the mentality shift at how you approach taking pictures. I absolutely love using the prime as often as possible and it stays on my camera. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the 18-135mm. But I only use it over the DA 35 when it comes to documenting events or I need focal length variety because its not possible to zoom with my feet. Other than that, it really is fueling my LBA/GAS for more primes. Tough choice between which one to pick up first: a 15mm or 77mm ltd!