Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Third-party lenses and Focus point selection

Hello

I'm on the brink of buying a K-50 but still wondering about the focus point selection
with the Sigma 17-50 f2.8
According to the manual of the K-50 (p105): The focus point selection mode is fixed to [Spot: The center of the viewfinder] regardless of this setting when using lenses other than DA, DA L, D FA, FA J, FA or F lenses. To me this means that the focus point can not be changed for a third-party lens. Somehow I must be wrong as in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/210420-k-30-focus-se...-question.html the focus point can be changed for a Sigma 70mm f2.8. (Manuals of th K-30 and the K-50 are the same about this subject)

Does the manual mean something completely different and if so how?

Regards
khenna

03-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by khenna Quote
Hello

I'm on the brink of buying a K-50 but still wondering about the focus point selection
with the Sigma 17-50 f2.8
According to the manual of the K-50 (p105): The focus point selection mode is fixed to [Spot: The center of the viewfinder] regardless of this setting when using lenses other than DA, DA L, D FA, FA J, FA or F lenses. To me this means that the focus point can not be changed for a third-party lens. Somehow I must be wrong as in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/210420-k-30-focus-se...-question.html the focus point can be changed for a Sigma 70mm f2.8. (Manuals of th K-30 and the K-50 are the same about this subject)

Does the manual mean something completely different and if so how?

Regards
khenna
Pentax does not list what third party lenses work with their camera because its not their product or responsibility to ensure that other peoples' lenses work on their camera.

However, as long as the camera has autofocus and can transmit exposure data to the camera body, then the focus points should move as expected.
03-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The short answer is Yes, the Sigma should support all AF and exposure modes on your camera. The distinction is between AF lenses and manual focus lenses. With manual focus lenses, there is no AF (duh), but the camera does support focus confirmation using the AF system. In that case, only the center focus point is available.

There are a few things that the K-50 will not support with non-Pentax glass (e.g. automatic lens correction and MTF program line), but overall the level of compatibility is very high.

Steve