Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #1

Pentax K-50 with Sigma 30mm f1.4 Compatibility

Hello everyone,

Fairly recently I purchased a k-50 camera with a couple of kit lenses and have been very happy with it so far.

My only problem now is that I find myself often taking pictures in fairly low light settings, and the kit lenses just aren't letting in enough light.

I am interested in picking up a lens with a larger aperture to get better low light shots, and I was able to find a used version of this lens for a decent price:

30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM - DC Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

It looks pretty good to me with a large aperture and a fairly wide angle, but a couple of online lens+camera compatibility tools that I've found have said that it is not compatible with the k-50, even though to me it seems like it should be.

Can anyone confirm if this lens would be compatible with the k-50? If it is not, are there any other recommendations for k-50 low light performance that won't break the bank too much? (ie. sub $400).
Thanks in advance

04-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's most definitely compatible. I think you'll really enjoy that lens

Here's what our members have to say about it:
Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Reynold Quote
Hello everyone,

Fairly recently I purchased a k-50 camera with a couple of kit lenses and have been very happy with it so far.

My only problem now is that I find myself often taking pictures in fairly low light settings, and the kit lenses just aren't letting in enough light.

I am interested in picking up a lens with a larger aperture to get better low light shots, and I was able to find a used version of this lens for a decent price:

30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM - DC Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

It looks pretty good to me with a large aperture and a fairly wide angle, but a couple of online lens+camera compatibility tools that I've found have said that it is not compatible with the k-50, even though to me it seems like it should be.

Can anyone confirm if this lens would be compatible with the k-50? If it is not, are there any other recommendations for k-50 low light performance that won't break the bank too much? (ie. sub $400).
Thanks in advance
The new "ART" version of the lens is much better (quiet internal motor & sharp across the frame if you stop down to f-2.8). You may be able to get it in your price range refurbished from Sigma. The earlier version was sold at clearance for around $350. Make sure you understand that new lens is used best when you select AF point or use center-point focus.
04-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Also, you WILL have to perform focus adjustment. Do it in natural light as the slight shift caused by artificial light is noticeable at f1.4. It may be that you don't have enough focus adjustment in the camera. In that case, send the camera and lens in to Sigma, and they'll get it all tuned up for you. After that's all done, it's killer sharp in the center of the frame.

04-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I also just bought the Pentax K-50, and want the Sigma 30mm F1.4 lens. haha.
04-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #6
Forum Member

It's a good combination that has produced a lot of splendid shots for me -- the Sigma has a little something special, mostly the creamy bokeh. On my copy, sharpness from wide open is very good. Focus is a bit hit and miss at 1.4 in low light on the K50, but that is mostly the camera. At 2.0 focus is very accurate and consistent. I wonder if the Sigma is better at focus on a K3 wide open.

You asked about other choices in the same price / speed range: Wide open it is a little sharper and the bokeh is smoother than my FA50 1.4, which has sharp light points in busy scenes (those are gone by f2 or so). But, the pentax 50 autofocus is a little quicker and more sure especially wide open.

Of course it's a pretty big difference in focal length. I definitely find the 50 is more flattering to faces at typical single person shooting distances, and gives a little more room between the photographer and subject for candids. The 30 is great for more people in the frame. I find both lenses necessary :-) I haven't tried the 35 2.4 since I rarely shoot these lenses above F2.