Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 08:15 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote
That's the basis of my question. I have it set this way now. But having that button do both of those things is not making for the smoothest experience. If there was a way for the auto focus to only be assigned to that button while AE-L can be set elsewhere, that would be great. I'm getting from the responses in this post that I need to step up to a K-5iis or a K-3 to have that kind of functionality.

If this is true, for those that feel the same, then what is the proper or best way to use the K-50? Just live with the AE and AF being set whenever one or the other is changed? Or have you found a workflow work-around?
Zerv, you're basically asking for a button that doesn't exist on Pentax cameras other than the K-3 and K-5 lines. You have two to play with: the AF/AE-L button and the shutter button. If you want truly independent operation of AF and exposure, then you're limited to those two available buttons.

04-08-2015, 03:14 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Zerv, you're basically asking for a button that doesn't exist on Pentax cameras other than the K-3 and K-5 lines. You have two to play with: the AF/AE-L button and the shutter button. If you want truly independent operation of AF and exposure, then you're limited to those two available buttons.
Yeah, I got that impression in the first few posts. I guess I was just looking for a workaround or suggestions at smoothening out the experience since I know there are more than enough people that have been using the K50 successfully. I'm not the only one that has this issue so I thought there would be known alternative solutions. I've since found other posts asking about this same issue and although suggestions were made, there wasn't anything solid. The closest I saw were suggestions at using the green button when on certain modes to have it go to Tv shift or something to that effect.
04-08-2015, 03:22 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't own a K-50, but does it have a green button - and is it programmable to enable AE-L?
04-08-2015, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Paulh - It does have a green button and I've not seen anywhere in the manual that AE-L can be assigned to it. That would have been an awesome firmware update. Because currently, the only thing I use the green button for mainly is the reset exposure comp, but only after pressing the +/- button. EDIT: Oh, and when using manual lenses to do a sort of AE-L. Going MF is a possible workaround but some situations just don't work with it.

Last edited by Zerv; 04-08-2015 at 03:38 PM.
04-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #20
Site Supporter

True... I guess I considered the K-5 series as discontinued and didn't mention them.
That would be an accurate consideration despite the existence of residual stock being offered by various online merchants.

Steve
04-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Zerv, you're basically asking for a button that doesn't exist on Pentax cameras other than the K-3 and K-5 lines.
...any current cameras anyway. Both buttons have been featured on the flagship models since at least the K10D.

Steve
04-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...any current cameras anyway. Both buttons have been featured on the flagship models since at least the K10D.

Steve
My *ist D has one as well (I had to go check it!)
04-08-2015, 09:12 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zerv Quote
If this is true, for those that feel the same, then what is the proper or best way to use the K-50? Just live with the AE and AF being set whenever one or the other is changed? Or have you found a workflow work-around?
You will find a lot of entry and mid level cameras don't have separate AE and AF buttons regardless of the brand. The easiest way to get around it with every brand, imo, is use exposure compensation. If you know the camera's metering behavior well enough, you can guesstimate it before taking the shot. I use it all the time with my phone since it always locks AE and AF to the same point.

04-10-2015, 12:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

There's no answer to being able to AE-L when using the rear button for AF-L other than the part solutions already mentioned, but I thought I would just mention that I find the option to Cancel AF using the rear button works best for me. That way I can still use the normal top shutter button most of the time for AF, but if I want to lock the focus I just hold the rear button with my thumb while taking more shots on the top button, then release the rear button to carry on with normal AF.

It would be nice if the RAW/Fx button could be programmed for AE-L.
03-31-2016, 02:12 AM   #25

Assign Auto Exposure Lock function to Half press when AF-L assigned for back button.

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
There's no answer to being able to AE-L when using the rear button for AF-L other than the part solutions already mentioned, but I thought I would just mention that I find the option to Cancel AF using the rear button works best for me. That way I can still use the normal top shutter button most of the time for AF, but if I want to lock the focus I just hold the rear button with my thumb while taking more shots on the top button, then release the rear button to carry on with normal AF.

It would be nice if the RAW/Fx button could be programmed for AE-L.
once you assign the rear button for AF-L, what is the function of the half click?

if it's left redundant, then to fully decouple AF-L and AE-L is it possible to assign the function of Auto Exposure Lock to it??

if such a feature isnt present then could a firmware update do it, & preferable make the function of half press customizable from menu.