Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2015, 02:24 AM   #1

Getting a K50

for my birthday!

There is a deal on now through Camera Canada, the K50 with the DA 18-135mm lense and my local camera store has agreed to price match.

So......black or white body?

The only other store in the area is Henry's and they didn't even have one on the floor. I asked about them ordering it so that I could have a look and was told that it would take at least 2 weeks.

Where do people in southern Ontario shop for Pentax gear?

Thanks all. I am pretty excited. Just took an intro to photography course and used a borrowed camera. Looking forward to ownership.

04-07-2015, 02:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations. You will love it.

I vote black for the color but many like the white so you will hear both sides.

Spend time on this forum and you will learn a lot. A lot of great camera people here......much, much better here than DPR, but that is my opinion.
04-07-2015, 03:56 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
white seems too much like a fashion statement, while black goes with everything.....

whichever you decide - use it, experiment with it, play with it..... and shoot EVERYTHING!
04-07-2015, 04:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
White is better to be invisible for wildlife photography in the snow. Black pairs well with all kind of lenses, new or second hand.

04-07-2015, 04:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
White is better to be invisible for wildlife photography in the snow. Black pairs well with all kind of lenses, new or second hand.
How do you arrive at that conclusion??? Or are you also dressed as a Storm Trooper
04-07-2015, 05:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
How do you arrive at that conclusion??? Or are you also dressed as a Storm Trooper
Not kidding, for birding/wildlife, you have to think about the colors !!!
04-07-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
white seems too much like a fashion statement, while black goes with everything.....

whichever you decide - use it, experiment with it, play with it..... and shoot EVERYTHING!
I am ANYTHING but a fashionista. I wanted the red well cuz it was cool (may still pick up a red body at some point). But all the Cdn stores had in stock or in any reasonable time at the time was black or white. I got the white. I now really like the white...and yes I have been taking lots of shots in the snow up here in Newfoundland.

Last edited by jgnfld; 04-08-2015 at 03:28 AM.
04-07-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What is this "snow" you speak of?
04-07-2015, 08:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you plan on shooting street photography, go with a black camera body and put black electric tape over the Pentax logo - most folks will dismiss you as a film shooter and won't pay you any unneeded attention. Works like a charm!
04-07-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Not kidding, for birding/wildlife, you have to think about the colors !!!
The end of the lens, perhaps with a hood pointing in the direction of bird is still going to appear as a black dot against a large dressed biped who holds it in gloved hands.
Very little of the camera body would be visible.
I seriously doubt white is going to make the slightest difference to a bird.

---------- Post added 04-08-15 at 06:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
If you plan on shooting street photography, go with a black camera body and put black electric tape over the Pentax logo - most folks will dismiss you as a film shooter and won't pay you any unneeded attention. Works like a charm!
LOL! You'd have to be very close to the shooter to even see that tape has covered the camera logo, I'd bet no-one but a camera enthusiast would even notice the tape let alone come to a conclusion such as you assert.
04-07-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Colored cameras reflect visibly in windows, which is a bit annoying for street and architectural photography. White looks a bit less serious, so you are less likely to face opposition from let's say security guards telling you professional cameras are not allowed. I think black might be easier to sell on ebay when you are upgrading.
04-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

@Steve.Ledger - you must be a zoom guy - perhaps my Sigma 50-500 would be your tool of choice for street photography. LOL!

For street shooting - I shoot primes. The HD DA 21 is dynamite for street photography and yes you do get close. I also like to give pocket change to people in need, chat with them to learn their story and, ask if I may take their photo. Knowing the story helps capture the image. Back in 2010 I read a blog by Eric Kim (International Street Photographer) on Street Photography and learned a few tricks. Here is the link…check out number 14…maybe you'll learn a trick or two as well…
101 Things I Have Learned about Street Photography

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 04-07-2015 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Typo
04-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love the way the white looks and wish all lenses were available in white also.

My wife likes her white K-50 (and white K-r, before that).
04-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Giving us color options is more of a curse than a boon if you ask me I got the black one (a safe choice) but now I have white envy. If Ricoh's intention were to have me wanting more than one K-50, they've succeeded.
04-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #15

Here in The Netherlands the black one was normal price, so I got that one. The white or red was way more expensive, let alone all the other crazy colour combinations.
I'd love to have had the ability to compose my own combination (for a reasonable price)