Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Matrix metering

Hi, I'me attending an evining photo course, the instructor is recomending matrix metering for Canon, where the metering is gauged from the focal point. How is this achieved on my K50?

Thanks

Tuggie76

04-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's the default (green) metering setting. You'll find it in the control panel, it's the rightmost icon in the second row:

The other options are center-weighted and spot metering, but matrix metering is the way in most typical shooting scenarios.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Are you referring to the "evaluative" metering found on Canon EOS cameras? It calculates across multiple zones and takes into account brightness, color, and whether that part of the image is in focus. Your K-50 has "multi-segment" metering that calculates across multiple zones, but only for brightness.* That is as close as it comes and would be the mode to use.

Steve

* Multi-segment on the K-3 theoretically considers color as well.
04-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I nearly always use the default multi-segment metering on my K-3. However, just in the last few weeks, I have been experimenting with the menu item "Link AE and AF Point" (item 5 in the C1 menu on K-3) that purports to weight the exposure to the AF point. Sounds like a good idea, but I can't say I've noticed a great difference in the resulting pictures. I'm not sure if the K-50 has a similar setting.

EDIT: Yes, the K-50 does have that same menu setting. Again, menu item 5 in C1. That seems to be exactly what the OP is asking for.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 04-15-2015 at 02:17 PM.
04-15-2015, 02:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great, thanks guys. So multisegment combined with link ae and af is as close as it gets.

Tuggie76
04-16-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It all depends ... of course

True that "matrix", "evaluative", or "multi-segment" metering is a quick and effective way to get decent exposures.
However, those other modes are there for a reason.
If you plan on using +/- exposure compensation to tailor the mood of your shots away from "correct" exposure, then it's best to use either centre weighted or spot metering. Segmented metering systems make exposure adjustments on their own and it's hard to know what compensation has already been applied - and it may vary with small changes in composition as highlights and shadows move from segment to segment.
Segmented metering is great for off-the-cuff shooting, especially when you have little time or desire to fuss over metering. But when I want to be precise and in control, I switch to centre weighted and get friendly with the AE lock button and compensation scale.
04-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I regularly use +/- exp comp with matrix metering. You get a sense after a while on whether a scene is likely to be over or under exposed. Ll

04-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys, the instructor was refering to on the fly shots where time is of the essence. but I can see the value of other metering modes when you have more time to set things up correctly.

We finally have a warm sunny day to go out and hunt wildflowers today, so I tried multisegment combined with link ae and found it worked pretty well, even with a touch of flash thrown in.

Tuggie76

Last edited by tuggie76; 01-24-2016 at 03:14 PM.