Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I started using RT back in '08/'09 and it has been my primary raw editor since 2012, though I still dabble in others... (I am done dabbling in Lightroom though unless maybe I were to become a professional of some sort, which is very highly unlikely.)

I agree RT is the best open source raw editor and development has come a long way over the years, especially in the last couple years.

11-13-2015, 08:53 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I'll be releasing some new updated profiles for the K-50/K-30 camera soon. They should also be compatible with the rest of the Pentax DSLR lineup. These are revised profiles for ISO 1600 to ISO 6400 & even make ISO 12800 usable. The images produced from these profiles look similar to those of Adobe Lightroom's high ISO output. Mind you that this is probably as good as it's going to get in terms of it being free. Lightroom still produces the best looking high ISO images from the RAW files, but then again, you gotta pay $10 (USD) a month to use it. That adds up to a lot in the long run.

With these new profiles, images from the K-50/K-30 camera are more usable up to ISO 6400, but limiting it to ISO 12800 on the extreme scale. You can still get a decent looking 8x10 print out of ISO 12800 from the K-50/K-30 camera. Not bad!

I haven't made a profile for ISO 25600 & ISO 51200, but I'll eventually get to them. I shoot between 100 & 3200, use 6400 on occasion, & have used 12800 about 5 times. I haven't tried the higher ISOs yet.

I'm still in the process of tweaking them, but hopefully I can post them up soon. I'll probably start a new thread in the "Digital Processing, Software, and Printing" section of the site when I post them, but I'll post a link here.
11-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Aaaaaaaaaaaawww yeaaaaaaaaaahhh!!

Check a few posts below for processing profiles.

Here they are. A totally revamped set of processing profiles for the K-50/K-30! They should also be compatible with all Pentax DSLRs & even other manufacturer's DSLRs or mirrorless cameras.

There are 2 different versions of demosaicing for each ISO & the only difference between them are if they have unsharp mask (UM) or not. The LMMSE demosaicing uses a finer grain while the VNG4 demosaicing kind of washes out the grain. The VNG4 profiles put out images similar to what Adobe Lightroom puts out.

The first 2 profiles (ISO 00100 to 400) use AMAZE demosaicing.

As you can tell, they range from ISO 100 to ISO 51200. The grain starts getting rougher at ISO 6400 & 12800. These new profiles make ISO 6400 quite usable & ISO 12800 is basically the limit of the K-50/K-30 camera sensor. The other 2 higher ISOs are basically useless, but you can still get a tad bit more detail out of them versus what you get from the out of camera jpeg.

All of the profiles (except for ISO 00100 to 400) have the chrominance noise reduction turned on to remove color noise. Luminance (grain) noise reduction is not on to preserve detail.

Remember, these are starting points. Adjust color, exposure, NR, or whatever you want to your liking.

How to use?

Extract these profiles from the zip & place the folder into the profiles folder of the RawTherapee program folder.

C:\Program Files\RawTherapee-4.2.1\profiles\Pentax

^ Your path may vary slightly.

Once you do this, you should see them in in the "Processing Profiles" section of RawTherapee under "Bundled Profiles" heading & you'll see the "Pentax" heading there with all the profiles.

You can also just extract these somewhere on your hard drive & manually load each one that you want to use. More work required.

You Linux dudes should be able to figure out where these need to go.

Try them out & post some results!

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 11-19-2015 at 09:03 AM.
11-16-2015, 11:38 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Try them out & post some results!
Appreciate your efforts! I am pretty happy with my handful of 'go to' profiles, but always trying to learn so will give them some attention tomorrow (against some of my K-5 files) and report back...

Which build of RT are you at? (Just curious)... I am at 4.2.476 (on Windows)

11-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #35
Pentaxian

I'm on the 64 bit stable versions in Windows (4.2.1) & Debian. I tend to stick with stable versions of software. If I had a newer K-S2 or K-3II I'd probably have to get the latest version.
11-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Started with an ISO800 shot I took last night at the mall... Long story short, still ultimately preferred my edit that left my denoising step to be done in gimp/topaz, BUT there are interesting results from using your profile that I intend to more closely look at your settings later to learn from...

The only changes I made to your (ISO800 lmmse usm) profile was to change white balance to auto and to use the same K-5 DCP file (with the tone setting on) so it would be a fair comparison. (I tried all four of your ISO800 profiles and couldn't see any significant difference between any of them...)

Obviously it's difficult to impossible to see all the differences at web sizes, but here's my results anyway...

Using your 'ISO800 lmmse usm' profile only (except for changes noted above):

Here's mine (using my own profile and denoising done in gimp/topaz):

And here's mine with doing some of my stuff on top of your profile:

Going to try an ISO1600 shot from last night next...
11-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #37
Pentaxian

^ Interesting results. It's good to know that someone is playing with these profiles. Hahaha! I have basically tried to mimic Lightroom's RAW development as close as possible. I do turn on the noise reduction in RawTherapee, but it's for the noise color blotches (chrominance), not so much for the grain. It's easy to turn off in the DETAIL tab. The one way to get the most amount of detail & not get color noise is to turn off the noise reduction & do a black & white picture from high ISO images. But yeah. You lose the color.

As far as demosaicing goes, I've toyed around with all of them using various settings. As far as demosaicing for high ISO images goes, it seems like the LMMSE works the best.

I've been playing a lot with the processing profiles lately & figured that the VNG4 profile was not that useful, so I got rid of it. Scenes with bright lights looked funny with it. I also took out the UM (unsharp mask) profiles. I have now condensed them to 8 processing profiles that I have attached to this post. The ISO 100 to 400 still use the AMAZE demosaicing algorithm. The ISO 800 to 51200 profiles use the LMMSE demosaicing with the GREEN EQUILIBRATION set to 100. That eliminates those "maze" patterns that the other demosaicing algorithms have at higher ISO, but still keeps the fine detail. If you set the GREEN EQUILIBRATION to 100 on the other demosaicing patterns, you start to lose fine detail. You'll find those settings in the RAW tab under SENSOR WITH BAYER MATRIX. There are more settings in there, but I haven't been able to extract more detail out of them.

So here they are. I think they're the closest to what Lightroom puts out for now, but I'll still be trying to tweak them even more.

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 12-16-2016 at 09:43 AM.
11-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's an ISO1600 experiment. Just threw all my adjustments on top of your profile for this and still did additional denoising in gimp/topaz.. I like this version slightly better than the one below from my profile...

My version from my profile...

It looks just a little darker in the shadows and touched the colors some...It works/helps here for me...

I'm going to go mess with a very high iso shot next and will report back..

Edit: OK here's my ISO12.8K test...

First is my adjustments thrown on top of your profile (including additional denoising in topaz per my usual):

This one using my own profile/adjustments only:

Last one is my adjustments on top of your profile, but no additional denoising:

In comparing your profile to mine, the only difference (things I don't usually use in RT) is the denoising and then your use of the Shadows/Highlights tool (under the exposure tab)... I think the latter is what impacts the differences most on both the above comparisons...

P.S. (Final) Edit: It occurred to me to include a version of the above using just the camera jpeg straight into gimp then topaz denoising, some curve midrange boost, then some dynamic range increase using G'mic, and finally some wavelet sharpen:

Last edited by todd; 11-19-2015 at 01:01 PM.
11-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #39
Pentaxian

^ The one area where OOC jpegs seem to beat processed jpeg is the amount of solid color available. However, all the fine details are gone or very smudged up. Like the details in the guy's jeans to the left & his glasses. You can get a larger print out of the processed RAW file than what you can get out of the OOC jpeg. It looks like ISO 12800 is the usable limit for the K-50/K-30 sensor. Not bad for an "entry level" APS-C camera.

Mind sharing your processing RawTherapee processing profiles?
11-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ The one area where OOC jpegs seem to beat processed jpeg is the amount of solid color available. However, all the fine details are gone or very smudged up. Like the details in the guy's jeans to the left & his glasses. You can get a larger print out of the processed RAW file than what you can get out of the OOC jpeg. It looks like ISO 12800 is the usable limit for the K-50/K-30 sensor. Not bad for an "entry level" APS-C camera.

Mind sharing your processing RawTherapee processing profiles?
Yeah that makes sense and the usable limit for K-5 too, though there are always the exceptions/exceptional shots...

My profiles are based around my K-5 DCP profiles (landscape, camera faithful, skin plus and skin minus)... Still interested? I can include the DCP's if you want... They seem to work with K-3 files from when I've played around so probably work fine with K-50 too...

Also, I use pieces of the wavelet section in all of them... Still interested? Aside from that I just use auto levels on exposure and adjust from there, amaze for demosaic, CA adjust and and PF are on... Then I have duplicates of my main profiles with lens LCP's for my main lenses...

I've already started making another set based on your profiles...
11-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #41
Pentaxian

OK. Well, kick down your latest profiles when you finish them up. I want to try them out. Thanks!
01-05-2016, 03:17 PM   #42
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/3...lence-win.html

^ I made a new thread with updated processing profiles. Feel free to visit.
02-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #43

No profile for a Pentax K-r?
02-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jfca283 Quote
No profile for a Pentax K-r?
Click on the link above you or in my signature.

I made a new thread in the "Digital Processing, Software, and Printing" section of the forum with processing profiles using the AMZE, DCB, IGV, & LMMSE algorithms for any camera. I even made DCP files as well. The instructions are all there in the first post.
02-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #45

Thanks.