Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 04:30 AM   #1

K30 sensor cleaning tips

Hi all.
I noticed some dirt on what looks like the sensor of my K30. I can see it in the viewfinder but pics come out fine.
It's just annoying to point and shoot with such small "pucks" right in the midlle of the viewfinder.
I tried to unmount the lens, have the mirror lifted from the menu's option and blow some air with a simple hand pump; didn't know how much pressure to apply as I was afraid to damage the sensor, keeping the camera vertical in order to let eventual dust fall out.
Result: it didn't work.
So now, I can either use more air pressure or use some cleaning swabs. I never did that, my first time at attempring this.

Any hints, advices dos and don'ts?

Thanx

04-27-2015, 04:56 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can see it in the viewfinder and it doesn't show up in photos, it's not on the sensor. Most of us just ignore those bits of dirt. Reason for this is because trying to clean the focusing screen could damage it.

In case you haven't done this yet, I keep my K-30's dust removal in camera set ot both turning on and turning off. So far I have gotten any dust on my sensor. But if you must clean the sensor itself, buy a Giottos Rocket Blower, the big one, and using it to blow the dust off the sensor will usually work best.
04-27-2015, 05:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just to be sure it isn't on the sensor (I mean, it could be that you can't notice it), try a couple shoots against a clear sky (or a near flat wall focusing at infinity i.e. completely out of focus) at f/22 or thereabouts.
Dust on the sensor shows up as black spots stopped down, but only as light gray blotches with the aperture wide open.
04-27-2015, 05:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanx for your feedback.

I'll try that kind of shots to prove it's on the sensor, but, if it's not on the sensor where else could it be?

04-27-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
Thanx for your feedback.

I'll try that kind of shots to prove it's on the sensor, but, if it's not on the sensor where else could it be?
It could be inside the viewfinder, on the mirror, or on the focusing screen.
Think about the path the light does when travels to the viewfinder (mirror down) and when it goes to the sensor (mirror up), they are not the same...
04-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you see it through the viewfinder, it's not sensor dust. It's on either the focusing screen or penta-prism. Those are delicate items and risky to try to clean. Whatever you do, don't put your fingers on them or touch them with anything that isn't designed specifically to clean those items.
04-27-2015, 06:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
OK, so I'm stuck with that? I guess the only way to clean it is to send it in...bummer...

I guess it's my feault for switching lenses too often...

04-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
If you see it through the viewfinder, it's not sensor dust. It's on either the focusing screen or penta-prism. Those are delicate items and risky to try to clean. Whatever you do, don't put your fingers on them or touch them with anything that isn't designed specifically to clean those items.
...there could actually be dust in both places... not uncommon...
OK, so I'm stuck with that? I guess the only way to clean it is to send it in...bummer...

Who cares? I've had dust in the viewfinder for as long as I could remember... it won't show up in the pics if it's there, so no it's not an issue at all!
04-27-2015, 08:18 AM   #9

Original Poster
No, it's not an issue, but it's annoying...you know, to see that black spot right in the middle of my beautiful blue sky or portrait while I'm framing the shot...
04-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Of course it could exist in both places but what you see in the viewfinder is not sensor dust

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
...there could actually be dust in both places... not uncommon...

Who cares? I've had dust in the viewfinder for as long as I could remember... it won't show up in the pics if it's there, so no it's not an issue at all!
04-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
Of course it could exist in both places but what you see in the viewfinder is not sensor dust
...unless the viewfinder is an EVF!
Ok, I'll stop it!
04-27-2015, 04:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Switching lenses is the joy of an ILC. Just take care that you try to avoid dusty windy areas when doing so, always turn off the camera, point the body downwards.

With a Rocket Blower you could try puffing it towards the view screen while holding the camera face down to see if it dislodges some of the dust on the screen.

I've been able clean up a couple spots that way. Some you just have to live with and eventually learn to ignore them.

Sensor dust can be cleaned similarly, and there are more advanced methods for stubborn spots which I don't mind doing myself.

The view screen I don't mess with beyond the rocket blower method i mentioned.
05-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could take out the focus screen and clean it with soap and water but you run the risk of not knowing what your doing and ruining the focus calibration of the view finder, best bet live with it.
05-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
I've tried cleaning the focusing screen much to my sorrow. Mind you have cleaned my sensors with no problem but the focusing screen can be fouled by any number of gentle cleaning agents, and your fingers with just the slightest touch. I ended up replacing my focusing screen for about $60. If the problem is on the mirror you can probably see it and you can clean it pretty easily with cleaner for you glasses and a lint free swab or cloth (gently!!!) If the spot is on your focusing screen and so annoying, short of replacing it, get in a dust controlled area and a squeeze puffer and try blowing on and under the focus screen (again gently - don't used canned air) This won't actually get rid of the spot but it might move it to a less objectionable area of the viewfinder. As others have noted - we often live with some dust in the viewfinder if it's not showing up in the pictures.
05-11-2015, 01:07 AM   #15

Original Poster
OK, so here's an update.

I gues those of you stating my issue was dirt in the viewfinder were right, as I tried to blow air in with a rockerblower but with no luck. Annoyng but no big deal...many of us live with it, right?
Now, I took some pics today in full sunlight and once I looked at the shots on my MacBook Pro retina screen I noticed some weird spots. They are not the same spot I see on the viewfinder and they are many. Almost like black, blurred spots, you can see them in the pics below...They are very clear on brighter shots but they occasionally show up in darker/colored shots and since I took different exposure of the same subjects they don't come up in each shot...now this is VERY annoying...
According to the description in a post above these definitely look like dust on the sensor...

Thanx

Focal Lenght: 190 - F29 - 1/100 - ISO 200

Focal: 300 - F8 - 1/500 - ISO 400

Last edited by gerax; 05-11-2015 at 01:16 AM.