Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #1

macro lenses for K=50

Just bought a K-50 and I'm looking for a mid-range macro. Every lens I look at seems to be incompatible with the K-50! Any ideas?

04-27-2015, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are going by Amazon's lens finder - it doesn't work for that camera. It says everything that is compatible isn't.

"Any" K mount should work. There are some spin off K mounts like the Ricoh mount from the film era and the Chinon mount that may not work or may cause minor issues (Ricoh has a pin that can get the lens stuck on the camera for example). However in general the K, Ka, Kaf2 and Kaf3 mounts all work.

What is the budget? I like the 100mm Macro's myself but there are 35, 50 and 100 commonly available in Pentax brand and there are some other focal lengths as well. The F and FA as well as D FA series form Pentax offer Autofocus but this is a minor concern when shooting macro work where most focusing is done manually.
04-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are several macros in the marketplace if you want to buy used.
04-27-2015, 02:31 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

helps to know what your budget is, what kind of macro shooting you are looking to do, etc.... the marketplace here, used section of B&H, KEH, eBay, etc... are all good sources for quality lenses if you are looking to spend less money than brand new.....

04-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisU Quote
Just bought a K-50 and I'm looking for a mid-range macro. Every lens I look at seems to be incompatible with the K-50! Any ideas?
Sometimes the advertising literature isn't updated. If it's a Pentax mount (e.g., K3, K7 compatible, etc.), you can use the lens on a K50.

I scored a used copy of the Pentax F2.8 100mm WR Macro. It is a stunning lens and can even be used for handheld macro shooting in a lot of situations.
04-29-2015, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the same question. Ended up buying a 100m F4. SMC Pentax-M 100mm F4 Macro Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I actually prefer old manual lenses for macro work; AF is a pain sometimes when doing it, and you often have to switch to MF anyway. I use an Oly 50mm macro on a M43s camera, and it rocks. The M43 and the K50 both have in body stabilization, which makes it even easier. The 100 isn't a true 1:1 macro, but I bet I could get there easily with macro tubes.
04-29-2015, 08:39 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Plenty of choices, Chris. The Pentax 100mm Macro is WR.

I have the very good Tamron 90mm.

Macro is a manual focus game anyway so all those wonderful legacy lenses become available to you at second hand prices.

05-01-2015, 02:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
That was very helpful, thanks. I want a good lens but hoped to pay 600 or less. I like the sigma 105 but doesn't come with K mount. Maybe I'll bit the bullet and go with the Pentax. Thanks again!
05-02-2015, 12:29 AM   #9

UncleVanya is correct - Amazon's lens finder is broken. I just received the Pentax F2.8 100mm WR macro today, and it's a wonderful lens. I'm using it on a K-30. I also have the 2.8 35mm macro. I'm not sure which I like better. The 35mm macro limited feels just a bit nicer when focusing, which is to be expected from a lens in the limited family, I suppose. It's also a wonderful general purpose lens. The 100mm macro is weather sealed and is definitely more convenient to use in macro mode since you don't have to be right on top of whatever your photographing. Both take incredible photos, even in the hands of someone with my limited skills.

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Limited Macro:

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR

That last one is slightly out of focus, but the bokeh is so pleasing, I had to include it. It gives a fair idea of just how nicely this lens renders colors and out of focus areas.

---------- Post added 05-02-15 at 12:36 AM ----------

Oh, and here are a couple of photos showing the macro capabilities of the 35mm.

This is sugar, cocoa and oats:

Here's a closeup of a $5 bill: