Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2015, 01:03 AM   #1

Weird problem with K-30

Hi there!
Recently i have a strange problem with my K-30. Every time i shoot a picture there's a strange vibration coming from the part where the sensor is. Also, when i push OPEN MIRROR, the sensor is moving up and down every second, with a strange clanking sound to be heard. Before, when i was cleaning a sensor it wasn't moving (pulsing up-down physically). Is my camera broken, shall i take it to the service or is this normal. The camera is 9 months old, and this thing start to happen from few weeks ago. If i enable perspective correction after i shoot the picture then i can even hear more than 2-3 vibrating sounds from inside. The lens os original (kit) by Pentax.
Anyone with similar issue? Is this normal or no?
As i said before when i was cleaning the sensor, the sensor was still, wasn't move up/down. Now it moves with a strange sound.
Thanx for your answers!

04-30-2015, 01:42 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yoko666 Quote
Hi there!
Recently i have a strange problem with my K-30. Every time i shoot a picture there's a strange vibration coming from the part where the sensor is. Also, when i push OPEN MIRROR, the sensor is moving up and down every second, with a strange clanking sound to be heard. Before, when i was cleaning a sensor it wasn't moving (pulsing up-down physically). Is my camera broken, shall i take it to the service or is this normal. The camera is 9 months old, and this thing start to happen from few weeks ago. If i enable perspective correction after i shoot the picture then i can even hear more than 2-3 vibrating sounds from inside. The lens os original (kit) by Pentax.
Anyone with similar issue? Is this normal or no?
As i said before when i was cleaning the sensor, the sensor was still, wasn't move up/down. Now it moves with a strange sound.
Thanx for your answers!
That could be the SR system, but if the noise is excessive or if your photos aren't sharp, then it's certainly not normal.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2015, 04:12 AM   #3

Original Poster
First of all, thank you for the answer.
Is it normal for the sensor to pulse up-down every second when the camera is in "mirror up" mode? Actually, what i did notice it's only the right side of the sensor (looking into the sensor) is moving up down (5mm). Also, when i turn on "perspective correction" then this vibration can be heard 2-3 times after i shoot the picture, and sometimes actually the photos aren't sharp. Shall i take it to the service until it's under a warranty? Is the warranty 1 year or is there also a shutter counter number vital?
The camera has ~10.000 clicks.. Thank you in advance for the answer.
04-30-2015, 04:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I sent mine in for warranty work the time frame was all that mattered. Not the shutter count. In the US warranty is 1 year unless a longer one is purchased I believe . In Canada it is 2 years.

04-30-2015, 06:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
So, is this normal sensor behaviour?
04-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My sensor moves around when SR is on and I move the camera around. I hear a little clunking and banging around in there from time to time if Im moving the camera. Turn SR off and it will go away. That's what its there for and when SR is on the sensor actually kinda floats around in there as designed....Its meant to be that way. I don't know about 5mm though , more like 2mm would probably be correct.
I asked the same question shortly after getting mine like about 200 other people on here have done. I think you are OK and this sounds quite normal though it alarms many.
When you cleaned the sensor SR was off with the mirror up....it shouldn't be moving. When Shooting with SR on it will be moving with camera movement and floating. NORMAL
04-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #7

Original Poster
I understand that.. but mine is pulsing up/down when mirror up for cleaning the sensors and it shouldn't do
I will try to disable SR before i open up for a cleaning. But as i remember i didn't touch this option SR (was on since day 1), and as i remember the sensor wasn't pulsing up/down in cleanin' mode.
Think it's ready to be serviced..
Thank you friends for the answers..

05-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #8

I had the same problem, and it turns out that the mechanism that control the SR is malfunctioned. check if it does the same thing after you turn SR off in Video Mode. if the sensor still bounce around then the SR mechanism is broken. Generally it shouldnt affect photo quality, unless your exposure is long.
05-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #9

Original Poster
YES, mr. Ambivalence.
The problem is still the same, but thank you for a diagnose my problem, i've never used VIDEO mode so i didn't notice this jumping. Impossible to record a video. I will give it to a service next week while it's still under a warranty. And another yes, when i shot in the dark it's impossible to take a clear picture, also with a longer exposure the pictures a blurry. The device function OK only in a close mode (up to few feet).
Hope it won't stay long there at the service coz now i know a diagnosis. So if you serviced it, what was the real problem with SR about it?

Thank you very much for your answer, really helpful!!!