Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 03:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Rebuilding Lens / Rokinon 135mm 2.8 Macro

Last month I bought a Rokinon 135 2.8 Macro, and cleaned all of the Elements. But that was it ,well someone had rebuilt this lens once before and didn't put the focus mechanism back together correctly not to mention they overloaded it up with grease . So here I am shooting and enjoying this lens and it basically jams up the focus mechanism , which in turn wiped out he aperture blade assembly . SO I got forced into Rebuilding the Aperture assembly which is enough to put one over the edge and then had to degrease the focus mechanism and put it back together and calibrate it bear in mind there is a macro involved. So after all of that I HAD A LENS THAT WAS A BIG BLUR WHY ? Well it turns out the third group of elements is where you calibrate the Lens , Thanks God I figured it out ,and now it is up and running and sharp as a tack.

05-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That was quite a project. Good job. Next time I have a problem child, I will send it to you. LOL
05-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Believe me I don't know what was tougher the Aperture Blades or trying to figure out the focus mechanism blindly ,as it was put together wrong to begin with . Any way it is real smooth now.

---------- Post added 05-05-15 at 07:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Believe me I don't know what was tougher the Aperture Blades or trying to figure out the focus mechanism blindly ,as it was put together wrong to begin with . Any way it is real smooth now.
Here is a shot at f4 with a freshly rebuilt ROKINON 135 2.8 MACRO

Last edited by niceshot; 05-05-2015 at 07:07 PM. Reason: ADD PICTURE
05-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
you sound as if you have some experience with this where were you yesterday? lol any way this lens is unique in that it is not multicoated, so it renders different which I like. there is a certain something about this lens. By the way I HAVE the Sears lens which is different, I ALSO THINK IT IS NEWER that it is a different lens altogether. BUT I guess they are both made by SamYang

05-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a Rokinon 135mm 2.8...... And not that it has anything to do with the above....It is one sharpest lenses of all the 135's I have ever tried. I don't know how or why and whats really nice is I only paid $15 shipped on Ebay !
Glad to hear you were able to save it , I would have been banging my head on a tree trying to do that !
05-05-2015, 06:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

you sound as if you have some experience with this where were you yesterday? lol any way this lens is unique in that it is not multicoated, so it renders different which I like. there is a certain something about this lens. By the way I HAVE the Sears lens which is different, I ALSO THINK IT IS NEWER that it is a different lens altogether. BUT I guess they are both made by SamYang
Sears 135's in K-mount had at least 2 seperate manufacturers. The linked one which is Samyang, and Tokina. They're easy to tell apart - the Samyangs are stamped "Made in Korea" and "Model 202", have green and yellow text, and sport a greenish multicoating.

The Tokina 135's are black and with silver piping and the only bit of color on the face is the 'MC' which is red, and have a purple multicoating. They're stamped "Made in Japan."

The 202's also come in A and non-A versions. The A versions carry the Ricoh pin (look it up if you aren't familiar), which needs to be dealt with in some manner if you want to use the lens without risk of jamming the lens on the camera.

As far as I know, the Tokina doesn't have a macro version, and is generally sharper at wider apertures..
05-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I have a Rokinon 135mm 2.8...... And not that it has anything to do with the above....It is one sharpest lenses of all the 135's I have ever tried. I don't know how or why and whats really nice is I only paid $15 shipped on Ebay !
Glad to hear you were able to save it , I would have been banging my head on a tree trying to do that !
six hrs of agony and trying to guess the focus mechanism , but I did it and there is a certain satisfaction in knowing I made it perfect. The focus is silky smooth .Yes she is a sharp lens even wide open and I love the Bokeh

05-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Interesting. The Sears is indeed made by Samyang, and I have seen that same lens re-branded as Rokinon (one of Samyang's house brands). It could be that they redesigned the mechanics at some point but kept the optical design the same, coatings aside, Do you have any pics of the lens you rebuilt? I'd be interested to see it.

Also, feel free to drop me a line if you'd like any tips on any future repairs/ rebuilds. I have worked on a ton of stuff myself and am happy to share any insights I might have.

---------- Post added 05-05-15 at 06:31 PM ----------

Ha, I knew if I mentioned the Sears 135mm that you'd show up at some point, Jody!
I'd actually posted ahead of you and nuked the post when I realized I was mistaken about something.

Oh, and a quick reference shot - the Tokina-Sears is the middle one, and the A and non-A Samyang Sears are flanking it. :-D

05-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

---------- Post added 05-05-15 at 10:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Interesting. The Sears is indeed made by Samyang, and I have seen that same lens re-branded as Rokinon (one of Samyang's house brands). It could be that they redesigned the mechanics at some point but kept the optical design the same, coatings aside, Do you have any pics of the lens you rebuilt? I'd be interested to see it.

Also, feel free to drop me a line if you'd like any tips on any future repairs/ rebuilds. I have worked on a ton of stuff myself and am happy to share any insights I might have.

---------- Post added 05-05-15 at 06:31 PM ----------

Ha, I knew if I mentioned the Sears 135mm that you'd show up at some point, Jody!
and one more

Last edited by niceshot; 05-05-2015 at 07:08 PM. Reason: ADD PICTURES
05-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

---------- Post added 05-05-15 at 10:03 PM ----------

and one more
Thats not the same as the Sears 135's.

They all take 52mm filters, that one has 55mm. it looks like it shares the same macro mode. Does your get all 'glowy' for lack of a better term when shooting macros?

Basically, do your macros wind up looking like this? (this is the trait the Sears 135 Model 202's are known for... )

05-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It depends on the situation, on a whole yes .
05-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
yes well there are three components to the focus barrel the bottom floating ring, with has to be adjusted so as to only allow the travel needed for focus. Because this keeps it from traveling to far towards the aperture . 2 the main focus and the macro focus. But until I discovered that the bottom ring need to be the right distance from the bottom assembly ,I was having fits. The previous owner loaded it up with grease, must of thought it was a wheel barrow. Finally because I HAD TO TAKE ALL OF THE ELEMENTS OUT TO DO THE JOB , I had to recalibrate the third group of lens to bring around TO focus. 6 HRS OF MY TIME

Last edited by niceshot; 05-06-2015 at 12:30 PM. Reason: WRONG WORDS