Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2015, 12:48 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
Am I the only one who finds that the K30 low light performance is really bad?
I think that most of us agree that you're the only one It might also be your expectations. Maybe post a sample image (with EXIF intact).

Anyone got some tips or tricks for shooting in low light without having to resort to the flash on the camera?
An external flash with bounce and swivel can be an option.

I'm assuming lens with high f-stop would help? But seems like anything with good f-stop is pricey.
DA35/2.4 and DA50/1.8 are not the most expensive options. But be aware that shooting wide open results in shallow(er) DOF so it's not always the solution.

05-15-2015, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

I believe that the K-30 & K-50 share the same sensor. I will shoot up to ISO 3200 on my K-50 without issues. I process the DNG file after to get a clean shot. I'll go up to ISO 6400 in a pinch. Thats where the noise starts to get very aggressive. Try post processing the RAW file & see what comes out.
05-15-2015, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also believe the OP meant to say ISO 3200.

From what I've seen, you're not going to get much better high-ISO performance than the K-30 without spending thousands of dollars on a new FF camera specifically designed for high-ISO shooting (and priced for professionals). Comparing the K-30's high ISO performance to any other current APS-C cameras would be an exercise in splitting hairs, and you will likely end up disappointed if you upgrade.

So you have three options:

1) Learn to live with the noise

2) Try some noise-removal software and different post-processing techniques.

3) Find a way to shoot at lower ISO (lower shutter speed, faster lenses, additional lighting, etc.)

Here are some pictures I shot at ISO 3200 with my K-30 at a performance of "The Nutcracker" this last December. I shot in RAW, applied a little noise reduction, and then down-sized them to a vertical resolution of 2160 pixels (the native resolution for 4K displays), so they're still fairly large image files. To me, they look very good when viewed at 100%. Lots of detail and not too much noise evident.

Click on each picture for the full-size version:

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 05-15-2015 at 09:23 AM.
05-19-2015, 07:09 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hey everyone. Thank you all for your replies. I read them all and they all offer good tips!

I just want to start off by saying my apologies about the ISO. Yes I mean 3,200 ISO not 32,000 ISO!

Also, I've taken some nice night time photography in Manhattan and also some beautiful low light photos at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I travel mostly around with the Pentax 15-135mm WR Zoom lens. We all know it's not the best for low lighting, but its versatile and got enough zoom to keep you happy for what ever you need to do.

I couldn't use a tripod at the event because it was a graduation and everyone was moving. It was indoor in a cathedral without many lights. So using low ISO and long shutter speeds was out of the question.

I could of opted for a 50mm lens, but I don't own one ( I know I'm a sinner. I actually ended up buying a 35mm plastic fantastic instead). 50mm plastic fantastic is my next lens I plan on purchasing.

I feel like if the ISO performance was a little better in DSLR cameras, it would make life more bearable. We always hear about megapixels being raised, but I feel like they are slacking on the low light performance. I mean, most of the people hang out at night with their friends.

This is my first DSLR so I have no other cameras to compare to. But I feel like with modern technology, indoor photos shouldn't be this much of a hassle!!!

But overall I'm really happy with K30. I guess I'm a little disappointed because at the moment I was limited by the lenses I have and only thing that could of made my life a little more easier would of been better body.

05-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I could of opted for a 50mm lens, but I don't own one ( I know I'm a sinner. I actually ended up buying a 35mm plastic fantastic instead). 50mm plastic fantastic is my next lens I plan on purchasing.
Nothing wrong with the 35/2.4. About a stop extra light compared to the 18-135; and for indoors probably the better suited lens due to its angle of view.

I feel like if the ISO performance was a little better in DSLR cameras, it would make life more bearable. We always hear about megapixels being raised, but I feel like they are slacking on the low light performance. I mean, most of the people hang out at night with their friends.
Be glad you did not start with a K10D; ISO 800 at best So I think that cameras have come a long way. Of course, we all dream of noise free ISO12800 images, but that is not how it is.

A little post processing might be able to clean it up to acceptable levels; see the images posted by Edgar_In_Indy.

This is my first DSLR so I have no other cameras to compare to. But I feel like with modern technology, indoor photos shouldn't be this much of a hassle!!!

But overall I'm really happy with K30. I guess I'm a little disappointed because at the moment I was limited by the lenses I have and only thing that could of made my life a little more easier would of been better body.
Flash can often help, specially if it's possible to bounce against a ceiling; not always convenient to carry it around though. And for a better body, you will probably have to look at full frame.

Enjoy you photographic journey with the K30.
05-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
What aperture did you shoot at?

I'd go raw file type, lowest possible aperture say f2.4 on 35mm lens, shake reduction on, ISO at 3,200 and the longest time value I could get sharp shots at.
05-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I'm coming from an older Sony A200 DSLR. That camera had crazy noise starting at ISO 800. I would hardly ever shoot that high. My K-50 at ISO 6400 has less noise if I compare similar photos. But then again I'm comparing a 2008 camera to a 2013 camera. In a few more years from now ISO 3200 will be like ISO 400 today.

05-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

When I got my first DSLR in 2009, an Olympus e-410, I was amazed at how much better indoor photos were compared to the P&S digital cameras I'd been using. Cleaner, much more detailed, and better colors. Looking at those pictures now, the image quality is very poor compared to modern DSLR's such as the K-30. I'd probably rather shoot with my K-30 at ISO 6400 than my old Olympus at ISO 800.

Forget a "better" body, unless you're prepared to pay thousands of dollars for the latest full-frame camera and the lenses to go with it. Get some fast lenses instead.

The 50mm's already mentioned are good options, and the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 or Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 are both very good standard zooms. For a fast telephoto, it's hard to beat the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 (discontinued, but plenty of used copies out there).

For hanging out with friends though, something wider would probably be more useful. The old Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX is inexpensive and fairly small and takes really nice pictures for the price.
05-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Lots of detail and not too much noise evident.
I think you did a great job post processing those images! They probably have the same amount of noise as the older generations of full frame cameras did, but that being said, why do people always think noise is such a bad thing? I think that sometimes it can add character to a photo. Might I also add you can underexpose by whole stop and then bring the exposure back up in adobe camera raw or similar software and still get excellent results with the K30. I sometimes do this on purpose to squeeze out a little more low light capability.
05-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Might I also add you can underexpose by whole stop and then bring the exposure back up in adobe camera raw or similar software and still get excellent results with the K30. I sometimes do this on purpose to squeeze out a little more low light capability.
Excellent point, and I'm glad you mentioned it. Due to the excellent dynamic range and low noise of the K-30 sensor, I have gotten into the habit of underexposing most of my pictures a bit. This has two benefits. 1) I squeeze out a little more shutter speed to freeze subjects in motion and/or compensate for camera shake, and 2) there is less risk of blowing out any highlights.

The pictures I posted above were all shot in RAW and brightened further in post-processing by approximately 1/2 to a full stop, so they are probably more indicative of ISO 6400 performance than ISO 3200.

By the way, when I first had my K-30 I did some ISO test series and posted them in the following thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/195322-pentax-k-30-i...size-pics.html

I discovered that even ISO 25,600 could be usable.
05-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I am actually really impressed with the K-30 in low light.

I uploaded this to show you. It is a snapshot taken in a rather dark basement. There were a total of 14 13 watt CFL bulbs in can lights on in the entire room. The picture area was directly illuminated by 5 of those bulbs in recessed fixtures. The EXIF should show. Just in case: handheld, DA-21mm, ISO 3200, f/3.2, at 1/50th, zero step.

05-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

The ISO ability only really becomes a factor if you need to control your shutter speed. If it's a static subject, then just tripod mount and take a longer exposure at lower ISO.

eg:

or

If it's fast action, or you can't tripod mount, or you can't use flash or add additional off camera lighting etc then you have no option other than to up you ISO, or use a wider aperture lens.
The wider lens is not always an option either, as you may need a deep depth of field, which you'll be restricted by with a wider aperture lens.

The K-30 and up are all pretty good at this, including the K-5 series obviously also, which is about the best Pentax have offered ever in this regard, in the digital world.
Only FF or a choice to do a lower res/conscious development into higher ISO abilities is going to change this dramatically.
I don't think the K-30 is far off the best there is in Pentax land presently.
06-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Okay, here's my argument for the capabilities of the K-30's low light performance. I completely cocked up the exposure for this photo, not actually having checked the aperture or shutter speed before hitting the release.

Here's the same photo after nothing more than luminosity adjustment. It's actually a passable snap.

06-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Cute cat!
06-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Ain't even mine; he/she was on the train under the seat in front. He/she ran away before I could adjust the exposure, so this is all I got.