Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #1

Very New to DSLR

Hi there, as the title indicates I'm new to the world of DSLR and photography in general. Some personal issues made it impossible to pursue my passion in dirt bike racing so I decided to pick up a camera and try to at least participate in racing at some level.

I have been reading as much as possible and learning what and where I can. I have a K-50 and overall I'm very happy with it. My only real concern is that when I have the dial in AV or TAV etc. the wheels to adjust aperture or iso etc. stop functioning after take a picture.

I don't know if this is by design but it's really frustrating to me as I make a lot of mistakes still and when I want to try a different focal length or iso I can't easily do it. Currently I simply turn the camera off wait a couple seconds and turn it back on but as you might assume, with dirt bikes, speed is kind of an important piece.

I apologize for any completely new statements I might have made but I truly am about as green as they come.

Thanks!

05-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that happen to me to, it needs time to make adjustment, the only way you must learn by doing, just take your camera whenever you go, always do trial and error, shot what ever you want or interesting to you, in the end you will know what is good and what is not, if the wheels to adjust stop working and your camera is still under guarantee just take to service center, and repair it
05-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you tried to half-press the shutterbutton to cancel instant review?
05-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
mixberry thnx for the comments. sterretje, I had not tried the half-press. I just did though and it did not work. However your comment "to cancel instant review" made me try pressing "play" 2x and then I can adjust the settings again. That just doesn't seem right to me.

05-19-2015, 09:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is a setting to change how long instant review shows on the rear screen - maybe it is set to 15 or 30 seconds or something, which would seem like forever when your impatiently trying to shoot the next guy who falls off his bike!

Just my two cents, I don't have access to camera or manual ATM.
05-19-2015, 09:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
Another good idea. I have checked that and it's set to 1 second. Additionally, regardless if the last photo is being displayed the settings cannot be changed (i.e. even if the LCD/LED display is showing the camera settings like ISO, Aperture etc, OR if it's showing the last photo) I cannot adjust settings unless I cycle the camera on and off or, as just discovered, press "play" 2x.

and LOL on the falls off his bike... that's what contributed to my photo taking haha
05-19-2015, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you tried a full reset of the camera? Third tab of the setup menu, select reset. Worth doing to ensure all of your settings are back to factory standard. Let us know if you still get the problem after this?

05-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #8

Original Poster
I have not... and come to think of it... my brother, who admittedly knows much more about these things at the moment went through and "setup" the camera for me... maybe a selection was mistakenly made. Will try the reset and report back.

Thanks,

---------- Post added 05-19-15 at 09:36 AM ----------

Well that did solve the issue. Thank you very much!!! I do have to figure out how to put the light sensitivity bar (sorry can't recall the name ) back in the view finder and the little things that I've become used to but having the the ability to keep the camera at my eye so I can adjust as necessary was the focus here!

Thanks again!