Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-50 software

I just bought a used K-50, and am in love with it, I have the usb cable to go from the camera directly to my computer to transfer files. My computer says it doesn't recognize the hardware ( The manual says it will) where can I get the driver file to download to my computer so that it is recognized?
Any and all help is appreciated. I can still pull the card and use a card reader OK, I just thought it would be easier. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium Edition, if that's going to make a difference.
Thanks again
Phil

06-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Howdy Phil,
You might want to move this question to the dSLR section.
All the SW and Drivers running in this Film Camera area are in between our ears
06-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone told me not to bother using the cable and to just take the card out of the camera and load it directly into the SD card slot on your computer .If your computer doesn't have the slot I'm pretty sure you can buy a portable one that plugs into a USB point. I've been doing this for ages and it's fine.
06-04-2015, 02:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no driver AFAIK, but I always use the card reader. I always felt that was safer than plugging a cable into the camera, not sure why. If you have a USB 3.0 card reader it will be faster than the cable anyway.

One thing to check is in the menu is there a setting for what the camera looks like to the computer, I think it is either PTP or MTP?? Something like that. It has to be set to mass storage not picture transfer. I don't have a camera handy to check.

06-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

With the camera attached and turned on, go to Windows control panel and click on scanners and cameras. Then click add a device. See if your camera shows up and add it.
06-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
Howdy Phil,
You might want to move this question to the dSLR section.
All the SW and Drivers running in this Film Camera area are in between our ears
Thanks, I'll do that!
Phil
06-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It's actually better to use the card reader rather than the usb cable. Using the usb connection drains your batteries. And there is no driver needed for the usb. it's plug and play.

06-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
It's actually better to use the card reader rather than the usb cable. Using the usb connection drains your batteries. And there is no driver needed for the usb. it's plug and play.
Okay, I'll continue with the card reader, then. thanks very much for the quick replies! This Pentax Forum is awesome! Thanks, again!
Phil
06-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's fine to use the cable or the card reader. I use the cable because I don't like to remove card any more than I have too. Programs like Lightroom let you import directly through them as part of the workflow.
06-04-2015, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #10

I prefer to use the cable too .. saves wear and tear on the electronic connections on the edge of the cards.
06-04-2015, 08:21 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I wanted to say that there's no problem at all with Windows 7 recognizing the K-50 (or any of my Pentax cams) via the USB cable. There are no additional drivers required.
I plug the USB cable into the camera and the computer, then turn on the camera(s). Windows recognizes it right away.

fairtaxphil may not have set the correct USB transfer mode (see p235) If it was a used camera the previous owner might have PTP set.
Another possibility is a faulty cable or at worst a fault in the camera. Perhaps a reset might be in order?
Either way, rather than a mod closing the thread so quickly, it would have served the OP better to have kept it open so that others may offer help and advice, no?
Attached Images

06-04-2015, 08:28 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was thinking the transfer mode setting as well, even though I would recommend using a card reader anyway.
06-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

All 3 recent threads on this topic have now been merged. Nothing has been deleted as far as I can tell.

I'll go ahead and remove all posts discussing the closure/merging to improve readability.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: