Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2015, 06:32 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cut it out guys, unless you'd like to be put in time out There's no reason this discussion can't be kept civilized.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-15-2015, 05:38 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ComradeTao Quote
A lot of people around here say that high ISO performance is great. Is it really great or is that local Pentaxian bias? Please be honest..

Imaging resource has full sized jpegs and dngs out of a k-50:

Pentax K-50 Review: First Shots - Samples

download and pixel-peep to your hearts content without fear of anyone's bias getting in your way. All pretty boring test shots though.
06-15-2015, 05:49 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Out-of-the-box the K-50 is set to Bright image mode for the JPEG's, this pumps up contrast and can make red colours to bleed - especially at high ISO (Bright-mode functions best at lower ISO's). Set the image tone to Natural and problem is gone. Still, ISO 3200 and above is maybe not so common ISO's to use for everyday shooting. Most of my shots are done in the range ISO 100 - 800...

An option to the K-50 is the new K-S2. I just got the K-S2 myself, it's very nice...

As for the kit lens.. it's perfectly Ok for everyday photography, but yes spending more dollars will get you a better lens, but the kit lenses are not bad. The DA 18-135 is really nice, but the new DA 16-85 outperforms it (but at a price...)..
I found reds to be muddied by the Pentax JPEG engine no matter the image mode selected. It's a problem that doesn't surface very often, though. Shooting in RAW completely eliminates this concern.
06-15-2015, 08:36 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ComradeTao Quote
....I especially notice that nearly all of the detail in their red cloth square is lost at ISO 3200 and above...
This was the exact same thing that I had noticed before getting my K-50. I dismissed the K-50 & kept looking at other cameras like the Sony A6000, Nikon 3300, Sony A58, & so forth & so on.

One day, I came back to Imaging-Resource & downloaded a few high ISO RAW samples from different cameras that I was about to purchase. Just for poops & giggles I went ahead & downloaded a K-50 sample as well. After processing all of them using similar settings in RawTheraee, I discovered that all the details in the reds were back in the K-50 RAW sample. I was like, "Whaaaaaaaaat?" I was also amazed at the noise grain pattern. It was very pleasant looking! That pretty much sold me. I bought 2 of them with a bunch of lenses & a few other accessories from B&H in January of this year & have been very happy with them. I'm now considering buying 2 more K-50's & keeping them in storage for future use. The K-50 has so much bang for the buck that it's almost a crime not to buy one. Hahaha! I'm actually now on the hunt for a brand spanking new Pentax K-5IIs as well. The problem is that vendors are now wanting to charge about $700 to $1,000 for a new one. It was about $500 at B&H the last time they had them in stock.

I shoot lots of ISO 1600 & 3200 shots to avoid flash. I'll even use ISO 6400 in a pinch & ISO 12800 in super rare occasoins. The in camera JPEG engine kinda sucks, but it's not that bad. It's like a billion times better than my old Sony A200 at high ISOs. However, if you take the high ISO RAW file & process it in whatever processor you have, you can get some very amazing results. I have no problem printing a 24x36 photo out of a processed ISO 1600 image. That will give you an idea. I use RawTherapee. It's free & works on Linux & Windows. I don't like programs cataloging my photos. I place the DNGs & JPEGs into folders in "My Pictures" & I just process the ones I like.

I'm not a brand whore, loyalist, or whatever you want to call it. I buy whatever fits my needs. I've shot with Canon & Sony in the past. I really liked my old Sony A200 & since I had some Sony A-mount glass, I figured that I'd get a new Sony DSLT camera to keep using my lenses, but Sony's lack of commitment to the A-mount cameras pretty much drove me away. Sony's mirrorless cameras are nice, but the lenses are expensive. Canon has nothing that I want. The only APS-C Nikon that I want is the D7100, but it's pricey. The Nikon D750 is too pricey. Fujifilm is nice, but pricey. Same thing with Olympus & Panasonic. If I had more money I'd probably have more cameras from different brands, but since I'm not made out of gold, I saw an incredible deal with Pentax & took it.

For the price, the K-50 can't be beat. Yeah. There are better cameras & whatnot, but look at how much you have to pay. You get 2 control dials, weather sealing, 1/6000 shutter speed. a very bright 100% accurate pentaprism viewfinder, & the ability to use a ton of new & old lenses on the K-50. Try finding that for only $277.