Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2015, 08:07 PM   #1

K50 Camera Function Question

Still learning and I lurk constantly reading.......

Question is several of the functions in the settings are for 'Sensor" cleaning, 'Dust" removal, and a couple other of these type functions. I assume these are automatic functions that when you select and press "OK" it does it.

How often should you do it?

I know......total noob question, but I searched the forum already for the answer

06-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sensor cleaning lifts the mirror and holds it up so you clean the sensor manually. Only do this if you have dust spots that the "Dust removal" system cannot take care of. I've 40,000 exposures on my k-3 and never cleaned the sensor. Depending on your environment and number of lens changes you might get different results.

Dust removal "shakes" the sensor to remove dust. I always have mine set to "run on startup". So it runs every time you turn the camera on. Seems to work as I have never had to manually clean the sensor.

Dust removal procedure in order:
1) Use the camera dust removal system. There is a menu setting to turn on/off. If you have dust run this several times in a row and then check for dust again. I leave mine on "run on startup" and I think that is best so you don't have to worry about it.
2) Use a 'rocket blower' or equivalent to blow off anything the shaker will not get rid of. Do not use compressed air or canned air. Some folks report it is OK to use canned air if you are careful, personally I'm not taking any chances but YMMV.
3) Use a wet cleaning kit. This is the last resort, and on two cameras with over 25,000 actuations in all kinds of environments I've never had to use one yet. Get this if all else fails but don't go there unless you are sure you need it.
4) Send in for professional cleaning. Pentax extended warranty (in the US) includes one 'free' cleaning. Not sure about anywhere else.

Easiest way to check for dust is to set your aperture to f/22 or so and take an image of the sky. Dust on the sensor is more visible at smaller apertures.
06-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #3
KAG

Original Poster
Very informative.....thank you very much for the knowledge
06-14-2015, 12:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Take note that the K-3, K-5 etc. have an ultrasonic system, which is practically silent. The K-50&co shake the whole sensor which might be slightly annoying on every startup.