Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hand strap for K-50

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Looking for suggestions for a handstrap that fits the K-50. Was just going to order whatever came back on amazons search but thought better of it. So any advice would be appreciated.
the kind that locks your hand tot he grip not a wrist strap.

06-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peak Design makes the Clutch:

peak design clutch | B&H Photo Video

I use their Slide and find the quality and usefulness beyond compare...
06-19-2015, 01:48 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Peak Design makes the Clutch:

peak design clutch | B&H Photo Video

I use their Slide and find the quality and usefulness beyond compare...
Does it slip at all?

Thanks for the tip, looking at it now.
06-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SininStyle Quote
Does it slip at all?

Thanks for the tip, looking at it now.
the aluminum buckles on the Slide stay put - I have yet to have them budge at all when they are set....

06-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is what I use and like very much. I tend to keep it fairly loose to allow thumb operation of the buttons on the rear of the camera. Even with it adjusted fairly loose, there is no way the camera will get knocked out of my hand with this strap.
Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video

Last edited by darylk; 06-19-2015 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to include link
06-19-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am a user of the Pentax strap as well. Comfortable, even with the DA* 16-50 on my K10D with grip. It is a bit fiddly to set up the way you want it, but once it is set it is solid and comfortable.
06-19-2015, 10:33 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you dont need a brand-name strap...

The equivalent is easily found on eBay (sample listing follows). I have two of these and they work like a charm, absolutely steady and secure. Notice the 3-point grip which allows to safely release the camera if necessary and use your grip hand for something else. The three-point grip will give you peace of mind when for example, dangling your camera over water, over the side of a wall or if you're all shook up.

Leather Digital SLR Camera Wrist Strap Hand Grip FOR Canon Sony Olympus Nikon | eBay

06-19-2015, 11:17 PM   #8

I love the Crumpler Noose. very comfortable, has a pocket for an extra SD card, and it matches the Pentax colors

Amazon.com : Crumpler Noose Camera Strap NOS001-R00000 - Black/Red : Camera Cases : Camera & Photo
06-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I use the Crumpler Noose for my GR but would hesitate to use it on a DSLR. I'm not sure how much I'd trust the little string loop which attaches to the camera. I use Op/Tech straps, slings and straps. The modular approach makes swapping from one camera to another so easy. Peak Design would have the same advantages.
06-20-2015, 02:30 AM   #10
Closed Account

I use a DSPTCH strap on my K-3, simple but it works perfect.

Wrist - DSPTCH
06-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
This is what I use and like very much. I tend to keep it fairly loose to allow thumb operation of the buttons on the rear of the camera. Even with it adjusted fairly loose, there is no way the camera will get knocked out of my hand with this strap.
Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video

I was looking at this same one for my K-50... does it allow for a tripod quick release plate to be mounted on the bottom while attached to the camera?
06-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by azappraiser Quote
I was looking at this same one for my K-50... does it allow for a tripod quick release plate to be mounted on the bottom while attached to the camera?
I find it a bit of a kludge when working with a tripod. Because the attachment on the bottom of the camera is by screwing into the tripod socket on the camera (or the grip, which I use) the socket on the hand strap is no longer centered. When using a tripod I find it better to undo the tripod part of the grip attachment.

The strap hangs loose when I do that, and I find I have to hold it on windy days to prevent vibrating the camera. It is a real pain to feed the straps into the loops on the K10. I think with the newer bodies using triangular strap attachments, it would be much easier. As it is, I put up with the problem as I am usually not using a tripod when I am using the hand strap, and just remove the strap for the day when I am using the 400.
06-20-2015, 10:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by azappraiser Quote
Its design does allow for it, but after trying it a couple of times, I gave up on using it with a tripod. Instead, I disconnect the hand strap from the bottom of the camera and mount the camera directly to the tripod plate. There are three problems with trying to use the tripod mount on the hand strap: the camera is mounted with the lens off center relative to the tripod center; the strap's base plate, while plenty solid/beefy for use as a hand strap, flexes too much for tripod use; the base nut is press fit into the hand strap base and starts to pull out. Bottom line, the thought was nice, but it is effectively unusable for tripod use. Even though that particular feature is a disappointment, the strap's functionality as a hand strap is great in my opinion.

Also, when I purchased a second camera (my K-3) in 2014, I purchased this strap (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HTWF9ZI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00) for use on my old K-5 and I put the Pentax handstrap on the new K-3. The Movo is okay, but not nearly as good as the Pentax strap IMHO, anyway for use as a hand strap. However, it does have a female thread for tripod mounting that is centered, unlike the Pentax brand hand strap. For that reason, it probably works better for tripod use, but I've never tried it to know how well it actually performs.

Daryl
06-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
I use the Crumpler Noose for my GR but would hesitate to use it on a DSLR. I'm not sure how much I'd trust the little string loop which attaches to the camera. I use Op/Tech straps, slings and straps. The modular approach makes swapping from one camera to another so easy. Peak Design would have the same advantages.
throw that little loop away and thread the strap through the ring on your camera lug...
07-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the Joby Three Way strap (you can also use it on your neck or shoulder) on occasion and it's great, and cheap ($10US on Amazon IIRC). I got it for a smaller camera but it seems to work with the heavier K-50 without issue.