Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #1

where should i buy my k-50?

now that i decided i want the k-50 with the 18-55 WR kit, i did extensive research to find the best price online from reliable vendors.
these are my options and wanted to get some feedback on who you would pick:

1. BH photo - $389
2. adorama - $389
3. kenmore camera - $379

BH and adorama are clearly well known and are basically identical.

kenmore camera even though they are not as popular as the other two is based in kenmore, WA (north of seattle) but have been in business since 1974 (family owned) and are still a legitimate shop.

save the $10 and support the mom and pop shop or get it from one of the big companies?

06-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You also get 4% back in rewards from the first two. I'd recommend going with one of them for hassle-free returns. You never know if you might get unlucky and get a dud.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Difficult one. Buying from the first two supports the forum (as far as I know), buying from the third one supports the little shop around the corner (if you are in that area).

Toss a 10 dollar coin
06-22-2015, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go local if the return is the same. Supporting them gives them incentive to carry your brand and that is often a huge benefit.

06-22-2015, 11:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Talk to the local shop to see if they would throw in some goodies to the value of... That also gives you an idea of whether or not they subscribe to the mom and pop ethos. Decades ago, when a local shop was trying to compete with the photo chain I worked for, the indie shop was the nastiest and most untrustworthy camera shop in town!

Hopefully Kenmore are super for you. It's weird, I think I have heard of them, yet I am British and live in China
06-22-2015, 11:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
Talk to the local shop to see if they would throw in some goodies to the value of... That also gives you an idea of whether or not they subscribe to the mom and pop ethos. Decades ago, when a local shop was trying to compete with the photo chain I worked for, the indie shop was the nastiest and most untrustworthy camera shop in town!

Hopefully Kenmore are super for you. It's weird, I think I have heard of them, yet I am British and live in China
i did ask them for something extra or even an additional discount but they couldn't do anything more.
06-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

You lose about six dollars by going to Kenmore...

If an online feedback website doesn't complain about them I think it's worth the six dollars just to get a nearby place you can lurk in while your partner goes shopping!
06-23-2015, 12:01 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bagga_Txips Quote
You lose about six dollars by going to Kenmore...

If an online feedback website doesn't complain about them I think it's worth the six dollars just to get a nearby place you can lurk in while your partner goes shopping!
i would not personally be going to kenmore.

any transaction would be done via mail order.

06-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Adorama or B&H then. Apparently their return policy is confirmed as being excellent, you would be supporting this forum, and for supporting this forum you get the bonus of being able to advertise in the Marketplace here, and see the articles wanted section.
06-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
i just made the purchase from BH.

they even had a price drop for the camera and 18-55 today.

it is now $381.03.

i am sure it will go down even lower eventually but $381.03 is pretty good price.
07-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #11

Original Poster
just wanted to report back and say that i exchanged the 18-55 kit for the 18-135 which was a better move long term,

so far the camera has been great.