Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

how is this memory card for the k-50?

Toshiba 32GB Exceria UHS-I U3 SDHC Memory Card PFS032U-1EUS B&H

will be shooting a lot of tennis pics on rapid fire so wanted something that can handle the 6 FPS.

thanks

06-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Speed wise it should be fine 60MB/s exceeds the k-50 write speed. I've no experience with that brand so cannot help you there.
06-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Speed wise it should be fine 60MB/s exceeds the k-50 write speed. I've no experience with that brand so cannot help you there.
even if the MB/s exceeds the k-50 write speed, is there anything negative about using a card that exceeds that speed or pretty much using something like this would maximize the fastest speed for the camera?

thanks
06-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
even if the MB/s exceeds the k-50 write speed, is there anything negative about using a card that exceeds that speed or pretty much using something like this would maximize the fastest speed for the camera?

thanks
Nope. You might even get a faster transfer speed to and from your computer, so the faster the better.

But brands that I recommend would include Sandisk (Extreme series) and Lexar.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
Correct, using a card faster than the camera is always recommended so that you use all the speed available in the camera. There are no negatives to using a faster card, provided the camera can recognize the card. Note that some older cameras will not recognize the newer (faster) cards. But this is not an issue with the k-50, it can use anything out there at the moment I believe.

Do be cautious that the card is a name brand bought through a reliable seller. There have been, in the past, a lot of fakes floating around with poor reliability and performance. I do not know anything about that brand, so I cannot help with that. I use only SanDisk Extreme Pro cards. They cost more but when you consider you are carrying around $1,000 worth of camera equipment I don't feel saving $20 on a card is worth taking a chance on losing images.
06-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #6

I have a late model Pentax DSLR and use a Lexar class 10 memory card, but I suggest that your card should be at least class 10, no mater the maker,
06-25-2015, 05:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by j0n4hpk Quote
I have a late model Pentax DSLR and use a Lexar class 10 memory card, but I suggest that your card should be at least class 10, no mater the maker,
That is a class 10 plus U3 SD card, which is the most up-to-date card speed standard. I don't see why that card would not work.

Toshiba owns its own manufacturing facility for SD cards; the brands usually seen are PNY cards and possibly others as well. Faster card speed have advantages when xfers files from/to SD card to other media as it will be faster. The question is reliability. As others have pointed out, Sandisk is usually recommended for reliability, however, that does not mean other brands are not good.
06-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #8

Original Poster
i always thought that kingston was at the top of the list for name brand cards.

i remember a few years ago i bought a dane-elec card and never had an issue with them.

just curious, what is maxmum read / write per pentax in the k-50?

06-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I do not remember seeing anything published by RIcoh. And I cannot find any tests on the k-50, however here is some information on the k-3 which might be useful: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241594-anyone-worked-out-write-speed-yet.html

I suspect the k-50 would be slower but the test above indicates the k-3 capable of 30-35mb/s. Personally I don't buy anything under 95mb/s today. That is likely faster than you need but gives some future proofing. And the faster speed is used on your PC assuming you have a USB 3.0 reader.
06-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
but for shooting sports (jpeg) with the k-50 in rapid fire mode, the 60 mb/s (read) is certainly fast enough for this camera?
06-25-2015, 09:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Toshiba and SanDisk make the flash memory for most of the other brands. The secret, according to a SanDisk insider (at the exec level), is the SW that organizes the physical memory and allocates space to data as needed. This can greatly influence card write speed and resistance to corruption. Card makers put more or less effort into this code, particularly in the areas of robustness and QA. Needless to say, he rptd that SanDisk sells the chips but maintains exclusivity on their SW as a competitive edge.

I use SanDisk and Lexar exclusively. I wish my photography was as good as my cards ......